New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires

Originally Posted by FastMover
Michelin, amoung others was a pioneer in this research. Over the last few years, many car manufacturers have utilized these tires in models that they advertise as "fuel efficient". You can find some interesting data on this subject here: http://www.michelin.com/corporate/fr...e=PAG_AXE_RECH.
What is this Proxima tire they talk about. I've never seen it for sale or mentioned anywhere else...

Old 08-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
I saw somewhere the both the michelin energy tire and the bridgestone were both designed for hybrid cars. Mainly toyota and honda. I'm not sure what the Altima comes with..
The Altima Hybrid comes with Continental ContiProContact tires. P215/60TR16

They have been fine so far. We have over 7000 miles on them.

I have always been a Michelin fan.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ian33
The Altima Hybrid comes with Continental ContiProContact tires. P215/60TR16

They have been fine so far. We have over 7000 miles on them.

I have always been a Michelin fan.
I also like Michelin tires. Goodyear in the last 15 years or so has some very nice tires. That would be there higher priced tires.

The 2006 Ford Five Hundred I traded for the TCH, it had 17" ContiTouringContact C95 tires. They are also a low rolling resistance tire. I had 20,000 on them when I traded the car. They looked and drove like new. I drive rather easy and had the 203 hp full sized Ford doing 30.5 mpg combined for near a year. I hope to do better with the new TCH.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-09-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 AM

I just bought Michelin Destiny tires from Discount Tire. They are supposedly the same as the Harmony, relabeled for DT. I only have 500 miles on them though, so once they're broken in I'll have a better idea about FE for these.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: New Tires

Originally Posted by zimbop
What is this Proxima tire they talk about. I've never seen it for sale or mentioned anywhere else...
They were designed for some all-electric cars about 3 years ago, and were never intended for US freeway speeds. I thnk that Michelin pulled them off of the market because some Insight drivers started buying them. I suspect that Michelin probably pulled them back for liability reasons.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

I just bought new tires from tirerack.com.

I got the michelin energy s8 and they were on sale for $107 each, and at that price I just could not pass them up. I hope they last a lot longer than my bridgestones did (about 33,000 miles.)

Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

I just purchased a set of Goodyear ResponseEdge tires to replace my already cupping Bridgestone tires, with only 20000 miles on them. I did some research on tireracks.com too. I was thinking initially getting Michelin Primacy MVX4(??) S8 ties (The OEM of TCH). However after I realized that the wet/ice traction is comparatively low, I decided to go for the Goodyear ResponseEdge tires. I see traction as a very important component as I am living in Wisconsin, think snow and icy rain always drive me crazy.
I have already put around 400 miles on my new set of tires. I don't think it is much quietier than my original bridgestone, especially on concrete highways. However once my car is on alphate (i can never spell this word.. but I guess you know what I am talking about), those tires are dead quiet.
Driving in town is good too: Responsive yet quiet.
Handling is extremely well on these tires. Very responsive steering and road comfort.
Although tireracks.com rates the responseedge as Grand Touring category, however i think it should be rated as Performance touring.

I purchased my tires from goodyear dealer. Original price was 650 and i pushed them down to 550, including mounting, nitrogen, waste fees, etc.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I just bought new tires from tirerack.com.

I got the michelin energy s8 and they were on sale for $107 each, and at that price I just could not pass them up. I hope they last a lot longer than my bridgestones did (about 33,000 miles.)
I checked the tire pressure late at night on my new TCH when they were cool. I used a dial air gauge that read 40 psi in each. I have never had a tire ride this good with that high of air pressure. I read in the forms that many use the higher pressure. Some even up to the max, 44 psi. I will stay at 40 psi cold it they wear even. I think the higher air pressure should help the tires last longer.

Any better longer lasting tires would sure cost you more than what you paid for these.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
OEM tires are the tires that comes on any car. Like I say there usually designed to give the car a quiet, smooth ride and provide easy steering. Yes, you can for sure buy those tires anywhere. If you look at the would you buy again. The numbers are usually very low. Only the michelin energy tire is the tops in OEM tires that I can find.

OEM tires are usually made of softer rubber to provide a nice ride. Thats the reason they usually wear out early at 20,000 to 25,000 miles. Not so with some tires including the michelin energy tire. Another thing I was referring too is the less tread depth. You can find these in the tire rack listings under specs. I said they designed the OEM tires to aid the steering. Compare these tires tread depth to the more expensive top of the line tires in michelin and goodyear.

michelin energy S8 10/32" there 17" = 9/32"
michelin symmetry = 10/32"
michelin hydro edge = 11/32"

goodyear integrity = 10/32"
goodyear assurance triple tred = 11/32"
goodyear comfor tred = 11/32"

You can see here the better tires have slightly deeper tread. They also last longer. The shorter tread depth helps the car have crisper steering like when out on a test drive.

There are lots of other OEM tires like bridgestone but I have not looked at any new cars that had them. Kumo I think comes on the Hyundai's.

I hope this helps.

Burt

I think I may have mis-understood - the original post made it sound like the OEM tires were of lesser quality than a replacement tire of the same brand/model. My argument was that the Michelin Energy S8 tires on my TCH as OEM are the same as the Michelin Energy S8 tires I could go to Tires Plus or Tire Rack or wherever and buy.

I agree that oftentimes the car manufacturer uses tires that have a low wear rating (i.e. soft tire) that wear out quick.

I'm glad my TCH has Michelins - my Honda Odyssey came with Michelin Synergy's and I replaced them at 70K - they didn't owe me anything and they performed well in the Minnesota weather.

Scott

Last edited by cast_and_blast; 08-15-2007 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cast_and_blast
I'm glad my TCH has Michelins - my Honda Odyssey came with Michelin Synergy's and I replaced them at 70K - they didn't owe me anything and they performed well in the Minnesota weather.

Scott
May I ask, what cold tire pressure did you run in your Honda Odyssey. That will be a challenge to see if the Michelin Energy tires can also go 70K miles.

Burt

Quick Reply: New Tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands