No lower screws for license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No lower screws for license plate?

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
What is up with the lack of front license plate bracket?

Some states (like mine) don't require these hideous attachments to the front of your car so I'm glad they don't come standard.

However even in states where they are required it should be a nice bracket and only installed by the dealer when the car is sold. My son just got a Scion that was traded from an Ohio dealer to WV and when we took the plate off there were two holes in the bumper. Pretty ugly

GM and FORD usually provide a nice bracket
I had a similar experience with my wife's Honda Accord coupe. She wanted a loaded black-on-black EX V6 with Nav, and these were very hard to come by in March of last year. We live in Michigan (a no-front-plate-state), and ended up finding one in the Chicago area. It came with the front license plate frame installed, but it isn't terribly ugly. It is contoured to fit the shape of the bumper, and fortunately it isn't that noticeable on a black car (we don't have any plate in it). I tried to remove it, but this would have left ugly holes in the bumper.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:43 PM
WVGasGuy

I had a Lincoln Mark VII with the bracket on the front and tried for weeks to get it off and couldn't. Ran it in a ditch on night in the rain and thought I tore the car up. When I got out and looked at it the next morning all I did was tear off the front bracket

Old 07-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Arrow Re: No lower screws for license plate?

Gary (vioarc), thanks for the suction cup idea. I called some local parts stores, and found they're available just about everywhere. (Update) I just installed them, and now my Toyota trunk sounds like a Lexus trunk when I close the lid. Major victory.

Also, bgoodman, thanks for the info on the bracket. I wonder (and hope) that it's the larger full-size front bracket like the one I'd seen on a Canadian Camry.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 07-07-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:37 PM

I had the same issue with rattling everytime I closed the liftgate (rear door) on my FEH; to prevent jangled nerves and paint scuffs/scratches, I hit it with the velcro bits to dampen the rattle. It works. My 'method' is discussed in the following thread.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamm3r
Every time I close the trunk I hear the tingy rattle of the license plate holder and it bugs me. Yesterday I decided to screw in the lower two screws of the license plate and noticed there are no holes for them! You can only secure the license plate from the top! This just seems silly to me.

Does this bug anyone else?
My TCH had two bumper pads, each about 1/2" wide by about 2" long, approximately 3/16" thick, stuck to the lower plate area just above where the lower screws would go. They are symetrical and well placed, so I thought Toyota put 'em there. Must have been the dealer. They seem to work very well since there is no rattle when I close the trunk.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Arrow Re: No lower screws for license plate?

The rattle is mostly from the license plate frame hitting the license plate. The suction cups work so nicely because they firmly secure both items (1) the frame to the plate, and (2) cushioned solid against the trunk lid.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I asked the same question in another thread WVGasGuy. Unfortunately the front plate is just screwed to the front bumper, no bracket.