No sloth! What a GREAT car!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default No sloth! What a GREAT car!

I am a Principle engineering Fellow w/Raytheon with a pretty heavy engineering background. I have always had "practical" family cars (Datsun 210, Astro's). I told everyone that my next car would be a high tech and stylish hybrid that would knock my sox off, Toyota finally released one. Got on a waiting list, received the car Wednesday (paid msrp).

Took it zero to 65 in just over 7 seconds on an inclined onramp - from a dead stop. Wow, the low end torque from that electric motor does exactly what a solid design should deliver... lost my socks! This is no wimpy hybrid. We have less than 200 miles, got 42+ on the highway, only ~34 in the city (in the first 60 miles).

I know how to get >25 out of an Astro van, so am looking for the TCH challenge!

This vehicle is fully loaded, they thought of almost everything! And I go twice as far on that gallon of $3.60 gas (yup, aint cheap in Santa Barbara). So far, nothing but great relations w/Toyota.

Jay

Old 08-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: No sloth! What a GREAT car!

Congrats, Jay. I just wanted to restate a previous post to remind new owners to accelerate and brake slowly during the break-in period. Your new car will thank you.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No sloth! What a GREAT car!

Hi Steve, could you point us to a full list of break-in guidelines for the TCH? I'm not able to find it by searching. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by JayVamp
Took it zero to 65 in just over 7 seconds ... We have less than 200 miles,
Might want to hold those sort of things to a minimum during the first 1000 miles at least. Check out the manual regarding do's and don'ts during the "break-in period".
Enjoy your new toy. We enjoy ours.
J

Old 08-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wallpad
Hi Steve, could you point us to a full list of break-in guidelines for the TCH? I'm not able to find it by searching. Thanks a lot.

It's in the owner's manual for sure...only about a paragraph.

Basically says for the first 1000 mi don't work the engine or hybrid system too hard and don't stay at one speed for extended periods. For a long highway drive, that just means use your cruise control, but vary it's speed during segments of your trip. (the last sentence was not in the O.M. but it's the spirit of what they mean)

Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've been waiting patiently to get enough miles on my TCH to open it up a little. I finally stepped on it after rolling past 1400 miles yesterday. WOW! This car has tons of power, and it definitely is not a slug by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice on pushing the TCH too early. I have had no problem getting 250,000 miles out of an engine. I approached the TCH with some skepticism as I have driven too many underpowered hybrids. The nice thing about the hybrid is that at the low (RPM) end, it's pretty much all about the electric motor (internal combustion engines have such poor low-end torque). I had to do this zero to 65MPH test before I took ownership. Had I been allowed to test drive another TCH on the lot, I would not have done this to mine, however, the local dealer has only received four of these all year, I consider myself as lucky to have it.

I have noticed (having had the car for only four days), that it sells itself. Two buddies at work want on that waiting list!

BTW, I got really ticked when Toyota started advertising the TCH a month ago on national TV, and yet my dealer wasn't getting any... All is forgiven now, I got mine!

Jay

Old 08-21-2006, 03:26 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

Break them in the way you intend to drive them! This info comes from my brother (a well respected Mechanic and engine builder of over 25 years).

Just do not over do it for the first 1000 miles.

I have always used this method, drive my vehicles pretty hard and have always gotten at least 150000 miles or more with no engine problems.

The key is 3000 mile oil changes.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have to disagree...it does not feel "peppy" at all. It feels almost sluggish, maybe its the 4000 LBS it weighs. I dont know, when I had a Corolla loaner it felt a LOT zippier. Maybe its the suspension/steering. But that **** 4000 LBS.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by lem144
I have to disagree...it does not feel "peppy" at all. It feels almost sluggish, maybe its the 4000 LBS it weighs. I dont know, when I had a Corolla loaner it felt a LOT zippier. Maybe its the suspension/steering. But that **** 4000 LBS.
Maybe the "smoothness" and lack of "shift points" is a fooler.
0->60 in 7 seconds is no slug.
The TCH is a lot "smoother" in it's acceleration than the wife's '07 XLE-V6 which will "snap you neck" when you floor it. The TCH won't.
I've driven the '07 Camry's in all three engine flavors and the TCH definitely falls in between the L-4 and V-6 in responsiveness. Closer to the V-6 than the L-4 IMO.
J

Quick Reply: No sloth! What a GREAT car!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands