Oil filter location

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil filter location

Originally Posted by
When changing the engine oil run the engine at least a couple of minutes so the engine is warm enough not too hot and this helps to remove/unscrew the oil drain plug and also the oil filter.

I am providing/sharing the below info so others know and do not mess up the torque setting(s) for their beauty 2007 TCH:

Torque setting for 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:
1. wheel nut 76 ft-lbs (tire size is P215/60R16)
2. [b
oil drain bolt/plug 18 ft-lbs[/b]
3. use 0W-20 or 5W-20 (will use 0W-20 Mobil 1 100% fully synthetic $5.92/qt before tax at Wal-Mart)
4. It takes 4.5 US qts with oil filter changed
5. air presure is 32psi when tires are cold

Also, as an FYI, I never replace the oil washer for the drain plug but I make sure it is exceptional clean so I monitor the next day or so if there is any leak. Believe it or not I used to have a 1993 Camry and have never had an issue, and back then I did not even use a torque wrench but I was careful when tightening the oil drain plug back. Hondas, on the other hand, have a silver oil washer that compresses and needs to be replaced.

I hope this info helps...
FYI Precautions to take when changing oil,taken from Toyota's manual:

CAUTION:

• Prolonged and repeated contact with engine oil will cause the loss of natural oils from the skin, leading to dryness, irritation and dermatitis. In addition, used engine oil contains potentially harmful contaminants which may cause skin cancer.
• Precautions should be taken when replacing engine oil to minimize the risk of your skin making contact a with used engine oil. Wear protective clothing and gloves. Wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water, or use a waterless hand cleaner to remove any used engine oil. Do not use gasoline, thinners or solvents.

• For environmental protection, used oil and used oil filters must be disposed of at designated disposal sites.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
FYI Precautions to take when changing oil,taken from Toyota's manual:

CAUTION:

• Prolonged and repeated contact with engine oil will cause the loss of natural oils from the skin, leading to dryness, irritation and dermatitis. In addition, used engine oil contains potentially harmful contaminants which may cause skin cancer.

• Precautions should be taken when replacing engine oil to minimize the risk of your skin making contact a with used engine oil. Wear protective clothing and gloves. Wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water, or use a waterless hand cleaner to remove any used engine oil. Do not use gasoline, thinners or solvents.

• For environmental protection, used oil and used oil filters must be disposed of at designated disposal sites.

Prolonged and repeated is the key there. For 20 minutes every 3-4 months I don't worry too much, but actually for my prior car (Acura TL) the oil change was so messy I picked up a packaged of disposable thin latex gloves and wore them when doing the oil, as I have a bunch lef tI will proabbly use them on the TCH as well, although it is really not very messy to do the oil in the TCH.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
Prolonged and repeated is the key there. For 20 minutes every 3-4 months I don't worry too much, but actually for my prior car (Acura TL) the oil change was so messy I picked up a packaged of disposable thin latex gloves and wore them when doing the oil, as I have a bunch lef tI will proabbly use them on the TCH as well, although it is really not very messy to do the oil in the TCH.
Yes, I forgot to mention that I use the latex gloves at least couple of pairs on each hand (used to wear leather gloves but not anymore for oil changes)... what an awesome vehicle the 2007 TCH is...

Last edited by agnosto; 10-22-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Has anyone installed the special drain plug shown earlier in this thread? When looking at that picture posted by eskimonio, it looks like the drain plug is pretty close to that black part of the undercarriage. Could it interfere? That drain plug looks pretty slick!

Old 11-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Spiffer,

No I haven't installed the plug, yes it looks pretty slick.

For clarification, I don't think the plug would have any problem fitting there. The proximity of the drain plug to undercarriage is mostly a function of the angle at which I took the photograph, from what I remember there's plenty of room there.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Pete4
I didn't jack up my TCH. You do need end cap filter wrench with at least 4 inch extension and 14cm wrench for oil plug, btw swivel or plier type wrench will not work. Make sure you get new gasket which goes under the drain screw, when buying the filter. I had very hard time to unscrew the filter and oil plug, since my previous, first oil change was done at the dealer, but now that I have done it myself, it won't be so tight in the future and should take about 20-30 min including coffe break. Honda Accord was easier to change oil filter since you could reach it from right front wheel well, in Toyota you need to do all the work from underneath the car, but once you know where things are I could reach everything without lifting the car at all.
Wow, where do you get a 14 CM wrench?

Do they use this huge hole in the oil pan as an inspection port also?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just a tip for those of you who change your own oil. I just changed my oil last night (15,000 miles). For some reason the oil filter cap kept slipping off the oil filter and I could not remove it.

I even removed the plastic covering underneath to see if I could somehow use an oil filter wrench, but that didn't work since there is no space to do it.

After thinking about it and doing all that hard work, I realized the solution was simple! I placed a sheet of paper towel inside the oil filter cap, pushed it up against the oil filter to make a tighter seal and wa-la! it had enough grip to remove the oil filter. As an added benefit, the paper towel caught the excess oil to minimize drippage.

I was probably the longest oil change ever!! Anyways, I just wanted to share the tip so that you fellows don't go through the same ordeal.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
Just a tip for those of you who change your own oil. I just changed my oil last night (15,000 miles). For some reason the oil filter cap kept slipping off the oil filter and I could not remove it.

I even removed the plastic covering underneath to see if I could somehow use an oil filter wrench, but that didn't work since there is no space to do it.

After thinking about it and doing all that hard work, I realized the solution was simple! I placed a sheet of paper towel inside the oil filter cap, pushed it up against the oil filter to make a tighter seal and wa-la! it had enough grip to remove the oil filter. As an added benefit, the paper towel caught the excess oil to minimize drippage.

I was probably the longest oil change ever!! Anyways, I just wanted to share the tip so that you fellows don't go through the same ordeal.
No problem for me, as I have an adjustable heavy duty metal oil filter wrench that I've been using on different diameter oil filters for over 15 years w/o any issue as it bites the oil filter on the sides and there is no way for slippage.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What size quick oil drain valve do we use? 12mm? http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Se...ts.asp?Cat=187

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Se...ts.asp?Cat=207

Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
That is the one I got for my 2007 TCH. This is the reply I got back from them when I initially asked them what I needed since their "catalog" didn't have an entry for the Camry Hybrid at the time:

Thank you for your inquiry of Sept. 29.

Our part#F103(size 12mm-1.25) is a suitable application for
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Regards,

YM International Company
On-line Distributor of Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
www.fumotovalve.com

Quick Reply: Oil filter location

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands