Oil Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Oil Warning!

Hi there.

I just finished up a 1800 mile trip to Reno. (43 MPG on the flats but 35 -36 MPG on I80 from Reno to Winamucca ;-( ) Actually very please with the whole trip and the vehicle.

Now my question. I had the 5000 mile new car check up and Oil (synthetic) and Filter change. So now with just under 8K miles on the 2008 TCH my maintenance warning system comes on for OIL stating "call the dealer".

I figured the oil might be low from the trip but when checking it looks almost new (in smell and clarity) and is full on the dip stick.

Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this notice? I've still got about 2K miles before the recommended 10 K check up.

I do have the option to delete the message. Hmmmm.....

Don

Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Warning!

Did you take your new 2008 TCH to a toyota dealer for the oil and filter change. If not the only thing I can think of is a filter that may not be working properly. I would for sure have it checked out quickly. Toyota may even tow it in with a warning like that.

The other would be if they put some thicker oil in that what toyota recommends for the TCH. I have had good luck with the 0W-20 synthetic from the dealer or mobil one from walmart. I do my own oil changes and buy my oil filter from my local toyota dealer. I change oil ever 5000 miles and have had no problems. I have about 11,000 on my 2007 TCH.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like the maintenance warning system was alerting you for a service. Perhaps the shop did not properly reset the service interval indicator?

It wasn't the oil pressure light, was it? If not, there's nothing to worry about.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Critic
Sounds like the maintenance warning system was alerting you for a service....
I've never seen it yet, but doesn't the maintenace warning say something other than 'call the dealer'
Originally Posted by Acyducy
...my maintenance warning system comes...stating "call the dealer"....

Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 PM

[quote=Acyducy]
my maintenance warning system comes on for OIL stating "call the dealer".

I don't ever recall seeing, call the dealer for a oil change. A hundred or so miles before 5000 miles, my mfd says something like, oil maintenance soon. It will flash up and can be punched out. As it gets closer to 5000 miles it comes up dominating the display area and can be a nuisance.

My car is a 2007 and his a 2008. Could be the MFD says something different when the oil needs changing.

Last edited by rburt07; 06-01-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

A couple of things I'd do before going to the dealer.

First, I'd check the oil. They may not have filled it enough.

Second, check to see if this is just a service reminder. Mine comes on and says "Maintenance Required." It just did. You can turn it off by holding down the trip reset button while it is showing "Trip A" (car off) and then starting the car. Hold it down until you see it finishes resetting. That will tell you if it is just the reminder set by the dealer or a real oil warning problem.

Third, there are also maintenance schedule settings you can set as well. Go into the menu and see if any are set for you. These can also be changed on the menu screens.

If it isn't one of the above, take it to the dealer. However, it is possible the dealer did it and set it for 3K miles instead of 5K (more $ for them but you only need to change every 5K.)

John

Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 AM

It sounds like you have the navigation system since you see the "call the dealer" message. If this is the case, you should see if someone set the maintenance settings in the NAV system. If so, it might be alerting you for no reason other than your dealer wanted you to change the oil at 3,000 miles. Personally I do not use those features and turn off all maintenance reporting of the NAV system.