Only 28 mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Only 28 mpg

I have just put in my second tank of gas, which makes it the third for my TCH. I have only been averaging 28 MPG. Our '99 "regular" Camry gets in the 20's. Please help. Any and all advice appreciated.

Last edited by RedCamry; 02-10-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Only 28 mph

RedCamry,

Your profile doesn't specify where you're located.

In cold weather, fuel economy really suffers due to the ICE (engine) running more frequently. (There are also other factors involved.)

Here in Northern VA (temp ~ 20), my mileage is presently 28 to 33, a substantial drop from the 38 to 40 mpg I was getting back in October and November (~ 60 - 80 degrees).

Another factor that will affect your mileage is tire pressure. (This seems to have a larger impact than on other cars, possibly due to increased rolling resistance and needing to use the ICE more to maintain your speed.)

Again these are high-level items to think about. Other members could (and will) provide more in depth information if you need it.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks John. I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, and it has been very cold here. I just purchased the car about a month ago. Is the correct tire pressure supposed to be 40? Is that what it says on the door? Thanks for the info.
Marla

Old 02-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedCamry
Thanks John. I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, and it has been very cold here. I just purchased the car about a month ago. Is the correct tire pressure supposed to be 40? Is that what it says on the door? Thanks for the info.
Marla
Cold weather takes a big hit on all cars, including hybrids. The need for cabin heat and widow defrosting often prevents the engine from stopping. Short trips also take a bigger bite out of your mileage in the cold. Switch off the defroster when possible, avoid max heat, and use the ECO button if the cold is not too intense. ECO disables the electric heat assist for the vents, and allows the engine to stop more readily when coasting or stopped.

The door says 32psi, the manual says 35psi for hi-way usage. I run 42psi front and 40psi rear. Remember tire pressure drops about 1 psi for every 10 F the temperature drops. I find handling improved and traction in the rain seems better. I would suggest running at least 35psi.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Welcome to GH!

Mileage is always much lower in the Winter. Even if you don't warm your car up, or use heat or defrost your car's lube gets stiff and it just plain takes more effort to get a car down the road in the winter. When it warms up you will get in the thirties for sure. Also you and your car will be "broke in" by then.

Last edited by lakedude; 02-10-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I pretty much agree with everything Nash said. Cold weather definitely seems to affect mileage along with the other things suggested. I also think 35 psi is a good start. Welcome to the community and congrats on the new TCH.