Opening the trunk with smark key

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Opening the trunk with smark key

When I walk up to my trunk and put my hand underneath the trunk handle it seems to take a few seconds to open. I notice the doors open up immediately when touching the door handles.

Is this the way it is for the trunk or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Opening the trunk with smark key

If I remember correctly, this delay can be adjusted (most likely only by the dealer).

Old 06-26-2007, 04:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've noticed that the doors take around 2/10's of a second to respond whereas the trunk takes maybe 3/4's of a second. Also the doors seems to be a sink-to-ground circuit where the trunk actually requires a mechanical tape-switch to be physically compressed to close the circuit.

Maybe this is because the doors only unlock where the trunk pops the whole latch. This would tend to offer another layer of protection against un-commanded operation while in motion.

Just my hyper-caffeinated 2 cent opinion.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by ToyotaGoblin
When I walk up to my trunk and put my hand underneath the trunk handle [...]
Just a dumb question, but why did you name this thread "Opening the trunk with smart key" when your question was about the actual trunk handle?

BTW, the behavior is perfectly normal, see my next post...

Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by klynch
If I remember correctly, this delay can be adjusted (most likely only by the dealer).
Yes and no... only the wireless/remote button can be adjusted as far as how the trunk opens: after 1 click, after 2 clicks, or only after an 0.8secs press (or "off"/"disabled" of course). See attachment, section 4. I don't think the reagular "handle" can be adjusted to open immediately upon touching it, you're stuck with the (likely 0.8 secs?) delay.

Originally Posted by McGyver
I've noticed that the doors take around 2/10's of a second to respond whereas the trunk takes maybe 3/4's of a second. Also the doors seems to be a sink-to-ground circuit where the trunk actually requires a mechanical tape-switch to be physically compressed to close the circuit. Maybe this is because the doors only unlock where the trunk pops the whole latch. This would tend to offer another layer of protection against un-commanded operation while in motion.
I've never noticed the "tape-switch needing to be physically compressed"... I just keep my fingers there, and it opens up after -- as you said -- just less than a second. Maybe I never paid attention on whether I'm pressing or not. That said, the delay is definitely a safety feature against accidental openings, just like the ability to turn off the remote (keyfob) functionality altogether.

Attached Files
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

HybridFan,

You are correct. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

I noticed that the trunk switch does not have to be held, I just tap the rubber lightly, remove my hand, and about 1/2 second later the thing pops.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greyghostTCH
I noticed that the trunk switch does not have to be held, I just tap the rubber lightly, remove my hand, and about 1/2 second later the thing pops.
I gotta try that. I have been physically holding the membrane compressed every time I open it.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by HybridFan
Originally Posted by McGyver
the trunk actually requires a mechanical tape-switch to be physically compressed to close the circuit.
I've never noticed the "tape-switch needing to be physically compressed"... I just keep my fingers there, and it opens up after -- as you said -- just less than a second. Maybe I never paid attention on whether I'm pressing or not.
Originally Posted by greyghostTCH
Spiff72's post about having to give it a try prompted me to do the same just now... I stand corrected from my previous comment (re: McGyver): I did have to "compress" the handle to close the circuit. That said, greyghosTCH is right that you don't need to hold it constantly, just one press and you can let go: it will open up quickly soon after.

I'm not sure about the "tapping the rubber lightly", though... It's more than just a "tap" for me.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys- pressing on the rubber underneath the trunk lid handle seems to do the trick.. it opens much faster than before. I guess before I was just putting my hand there and after a few seconds I'd get impatient and try and open the lid and then it would unlock.