Optimum Acceleration Technique in a TCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Optimum Acceleration Technique in a TCH

I have a 1/4 mile of level acceleration lane where I pull out on the 4-lane highway to town. This is just far enough from our house that the engine is warmed up.

Here is where I tried using various rpm on acceleration. I seem to get better mpg if I keep the acceleration around 2000 to 2300 rpm. It's very seldom any car is behind me on this acceleration lane. If vehicles are on the highway their usually a good ways behind me. I flip on my left turn signal and if any they move to the other lane so I can pull onto the highway.

I did find it strange this engine seems to perform best at 2200 rpm. That's the same as the 1.8 liter '03 Corolla I used to have.

If I lived in a big city I doubt I could do any moderate or slow acceleration. I used to live in Dallas and you had to look where you going but also watch in the rear view mirror to not get run over on the freeways.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-20-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast

We own two TCHs and we don't take either to extremes in search of gas savings. We do save gas money and we do release less CO2 than we otherwise would, but we're not hypermilers.

That being said, I'm having more fun driving the TCH than any car since I last drove a standard transmission 20 years ago. IF YOU WANT TO, you can get very involved in what the car's doing and make active decisions that affect the car's economy, performance, etc.

Or you can totally ignore that and drive it like a "normal" car.

I, for one, am quite glad there are "extremists" on this forum. I learn a lot from them, even if I only actually use a few of their tips. This forum adds a lot to the fun I get from driving a TCH.

I call my TCH my "mid-life crisis" car. Other guys buy muscle cars or convertibles to get their fun. There are two such sports cars owned by 50-ish folks right on my street (both families -- good folks -- no criticism intended). But I do get a chuckle as I glide past them in stealth mode.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ancistrus
I call my TCH my "mid-life crisis" car. Other guys buy muscle cars or convertibles to get their fun. There are two such sports cars owned by 50-ish folks right on my street (both families -- good folks -- no criticism intended). But I do get a chuckle as I glide past them in stealth mode.
As one of those "50-ish" folks I get a chuckle out it when I go rumbling past my Prius fanatic neighbor in my weekend warrior Corvette... I'm sure he has to go cleanse himself by listening to "Babs" for repurification after smelling the 93 octane exhaust and occasional whiff of smoked tire...

But I also enjoy the challenge of trying to constantly improve the MPG on my TCH... Since I am non-nav I guess need to break down and buy a Scan Guage... But I know the return on investment for a Scan Guage versus the added potential fuel savings is way, way too long to justify the cost. So that means it is just another toy that I have to sneak past the Minister of Finance when she isn't paying close attention...

Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

It really saddens me when such an interesting, useful thread is started and then it gets hijacked by those with an agenda. Like EKPOLK, I have a great fascination with hybrid technology. To be honest, I bought my TCH because I love gadgets and efficient energy management, not because I want to save the world (though I wouldn't mind that happening of course). Some people spend money on their cars for reasons other than practicality. Expensive stereos and such don't help you get to work any faster, but they make the owner happy (and many times proud). At the moment, I don't care about using less dental floss or drinking less coffee. To me, the game of "beating my MPG record" is more fun than playing BIOSHOCK on my PC, and has nothing to do with saving a dollar or two per week by adding the .05 MPG. I'm not trying to get nasty at anyone here as it's not my nature. I do, however, request that if someone doesn't specifically ask how they can save 3$ by flossing with banana peels or by saving gas by leaving their TCH in the front yard on cinder blocks, let their thread stay on subject. Thanks!

On the thread subject, I have been extremely curious about optimal acceleration as well. I just recently bought an ELM327 diagnostic interface that connects my laptop to the car's computer so I can analyze this data related to this subject. Time has been tight this month, so i haven't hooked it up yet, but I plan on doing that soon. There is a guy on the PRIUS board named "bwilson" who does A LOT of scientific experiments and analysis on his Prius. He would also be a great person to involve in this discussion. And no, you are not bringing Prius "extremist" attitude here. There are many on the TCH board who love the "geeky" stuff and I'd love to have more discussions like this on this board.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast

I'm with Andrew on this one. The question wasn't frivolous or "trolling", just a good question about optimization. I have thought about how I am effecting my average MPG often as I accelerate onto the interstate in heavy traffic because I am using A LOT of throttle to do so. Not that I can change that, but I am interested in what it does to my MPGs. I also look at beating my MPG record as a nice pastime. JMHO.

Robb

Old 09-22-2008, 06:59 AM
The Regenerator

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the comments; all is cool. Haroldo and I have discussed this, and everything is fine.

I too will be springing for a scangauge IIx here pretty quickly. Looks like it will mount nicely right below and between the speedo and mpg gauge. The main bits of data I'm looking for are rpms and fuel flow, which together with the mpg gauge we already have should allow some pretty careful tuning of technique.

I certainly respect those who are not as interested in playing the game, and learning the car as I am. This is very much a hobby/source of entertainment for me. My neighbor is a captain with a major airline, gripes all the time about not having enough money, and yet, sinks large amounts into a boat, and his ancient TransAm. He enjoys those things. I enjoy this. To each his own.

Back on point. I found the above comment about 2200 rpms interesting. Having determined (as best I could) that roughly 2500 rpms was optimum in the Prius, with it's much smaller ICE, it would seem on the surface anyway, that 2200 would be right around the target for the TCH. Now I gotta get that Scangauge...

Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Without trying to "hijack" this thread has anyone tried / used the Auterra software instead of a Scan Guage to collect fuel usage data? A quick search of the forum did not get a hit on it....

I have a copy of Auterra Dyno-Scan that I used with a now defunct Palm Pilot on my Corvette. Looking at their website (www.auterraweb.com) it appears this is a viable product to compete with Scan Guage. Since I bought it they have added a Windows Interface to run it in to a laptop PC. I may recycle this instead of going the Scan Guage route...

Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 AM

ekpolk (and others)...I applaud your efforts to determine the optimum acceleration technique for the TCH and anxiously await your posted results. I have learned a tremendous amount about our incredible TCH here, and am always eager to find a way to improve the fuel economy...(or is it realy to reduce fuel consumption??) without getting downright silly about it. I go back and forth between trying hypermileage techniques, and somwhere about half way to "just driving it". The technology that Toyota has provided in the vehicle just continues to blow my mind after 26 months and 40,000 miles....I doubt I will every be able to buy a non-hybrid vehicle again.

Last edited by jbollt; 09-22-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typos..when it comes to typing, I have 3 thumbs!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 PM
The Regenerator

OK, now I'm ready to tackle this question. That's the new Scangauge-II, which I've velcro mounted where you see it. I have yet to delve into any of the custom outputs. The first I'll be looking for is traction battery SoC. Anyone else using an SG have an idea for a better mounting location?

Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 PM

I have mine mounted in that same location where it's rather easy to see. Let the group know if you find any Scan Gauge X-codes for the traction battery for the Camry.

Quick Reply: Optimum Acceleration Technique in a TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands