Options for HID-type halogen lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Options for HID-type halogen lights

Hi All,

Since HID's are a little pricey for my budget at the moment, I'm considering getting HID-type halogens in the meantime. A friend of mine suggested Sylvania Silverstar brands, but it appears that they dont make H11 type bulbs in the Silverstar. The '07 TCH uses H11 type bulbs for the low beam headlights. Philips also do not make any 4000K+ lights for H11 type bulbs.

After much investigation, here are a few brands that provide H11 type halogen bulbs:

PIAA Xtreme White Plus (4000K) - $88.00 bucks for a pair.
MTec 2x Super White H11 (4350K) - $26.00 for a pair
Luminics Ultra White H11 (5150K) - $25.00 for a pair

Besides PIAA's, has anyone heard of Mtec or Luminics? I've read on other boards that they are decent, japan import equipments. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

The PIAA's are a little much for me. I'm looking for a short term replacement to the stock halogen lights. Eventually I will move up to HID's, but in the meantime, I just want a little more visibility driving dark roads so I have a better change avoiding the little critters that come out at night, especially when we roll back our clocks at the end of this month.

Thanks to all!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Options for HID-type halogen lights

Hi:

This is just a suggestion. If you are trying to get the HID Bulb Replacement, for the Hybrid it doesnt come with the HID Headlights. You cannot put the HID Bulb in the Headlights as it would Burn the Wires because it is higher power needed to operate the HID bulb. If you do want more Visible light bulb, you need to get the HID conversion Kit that helps you to see clearer. It would cost $289 including shipping at this Website.www.autoxen.com When you order, you have to call and ask for a discount. Ask for the H11 for 6000K (White and Abit of a Bluish on the side), it would help you alot with the Visions. Trust me. I have that in my car. Any question you can post a reply and i am willing to help you anytime.

Rith

Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

How hard was the install?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
Hi All,

Since HID's are a little pricey for my budget at the moment, I'm considering getting HID-type halogens in the meantime. A friend of mine suggested Sylvania Silverstar brands, but it appears that they dont make H11 type bulbs in the Silverstar. The '07 TCH uses H11 type bulbs for the low beam headlights. Philips also do not make any 4000K+ lights for H11 type bulbs.

After much investigation, here are a few brands that provide H11 type halogen bulbs:

PIAA Xtreme White Plus (4000K) - $88.00 bucks for a pair.
MTec 2x Super White H11 (4350K) - $26.00 for a pair
Luminics Ultra White H11 (5150K) - $25.00 for a pair

Besides PIAA's, has anyone heard of Mtec or Luminics? I've read on other boards that they are decent, japan import equipments. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

The PIAA's are a little much for me. I'm looking for a short term replacement to the stock halogen lights. Eventually I will move up to HID's, but in the meantime, I just want a little more visibility driving dark roads so I have a better change avoiding the little critters that come out at night, especially when we roll back our clocks at the end of this month.

Thanks to all!
You do realize that the HID look alikes... do not output the same lumens of light as a regular halogen. To make the bulb look as it does, there are filters to give the appearance of white light, but it robs from the total output of the light. Granted, if you are going for the look, go for it... but you do use your low beams the most. I have changed out my fog lights in my MINI with PIA H11 to match my HID (real) lights. And I did notice that they do NOT illuminate the road any better, but the lights now match.

here is a link to some of what i'm talking about:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...uperwhite.html

Last edited by livvie; 10-27-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

GECK: The HID I installed wasn't hard at all to install. It was really a Plug-And-Play Kit. I mount the Ballast underneat the Headlamps.

Livie: You do realize that all the Hybrid are not HID factory installed, you said that your HID is real. i believe it is not, if you get the HID lights without the Conversion Kit it will not match the Power of the Halegon Lights (in fact, it will burn the wire). Can i see your HID (real) Lights if you can take a picture of it. Because My HID light it is really birght and it helps me to see the road really much much better.

Anytime to answer the question here...

Old 10-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Dazed and Confused

In his MINI.

I don't think he was talking about a Hybrid.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

You are right..I forgot to look at the MINI..

Thanks

Old 10-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced Technology-PZEV

This is a stupid question but are HIDs street legal?

also anyone know the law on Window tinting?

Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dareathlork
GECK: The HID I installed wasn't hard at all to install. It was really a Plug-And-Play Kit. I mount the Ballast underneat the Headlamps.

Livie: You do realize that all the Hybrid are not HID factory installed, you said that your HID is real. i believe it is not, if you get the HID lights without the Conversion Kit it will not match the Power of the Halegon Lights (in fact, it will burn the wire). Can i see your HID (real) Lights if you can take a picture of it. Because My HID light it is really birght and it helps me to see the road really much much better.

Anytime to answer the question here...
Well... I said my MINI has HIDs... which I know they are real because I ordered it that way and I can see that they are not halogen bulbs made to look like HIDs not mention the ballast on each head light. So I don't know what you are asking?

My only point is that non-hid lights that you can buy that are HALOGEN bulbs do not output the same amount of light as their HALOGEN (non filtered) bulb counterpart. The thread is about HID-type halogen lights which means they are NOT HIDs at all. They only "look" like them.

For example my FOG (on my Mini) lights are not HID lights but the ones from the factory look odd against my HID headlights... so I bought a pair of H11 PIA (that match the color of my headlights) and installed them. Now my lights all match but I did notice that they are not (fog lights on by themselves) as "bright" as the H11s (oem factory) that I replaced. Meaning they are dimmer then their replacement when lighting up the road. Conclusion... HID look alike bulbs that are not really HID at all, do not output the same level of light as their HID (real) counterpart or their OEM halogen counterpart.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by Rcommander
This is a stupid question but are HIDs street legal?

also anyone know the law on Window tinting?
I recall reading that the US Department of Transportation and other Federal agencies had one time started to block the importing of aftermarke HID devices along with Clear (non reflective) tail light lenses. I don't know what happened to that.

Window tinting laws vary from state to state.

Hope that is of some help anyways!

Quick Reply: Options for HID-type halogen lights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands