Over 40 mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Over 40 mpg?

Just wondering how people are getting over 40mpg for their average fuel consumption (tires slightly over-inflated etc.). Is there any special tricks you have noticed, please share. Maybe there is a growing improvement between the 07, 08 and 09 TCH?

Old 05-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Default Re: Over 40 mpg?

My wife's TCH is an 07 model. I have the tire pressure set at 40 psi, use A/C, cruise control, and in southern Ohio where it's flat the car averages 42 mpg on a 500 mile trip. Cruise set 2 miles over the posted limit.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

I have trips between Lacrosse and Milwaukee (220 miles) on a bi-weekly basis. I recently archieve slightly over 40 MPG, which suprised me alittle bit because I am not using a low rolling resistence tires.

My tires are around 33 psi, filled with nitrogen.
I am using 5W-20 engine oil.
i am using goodyear responseEdge tires (Non low Rolling resistence).
A/C is on throughout the whole trip
I use cruise control.
i set the speed around 68 (according to the speedometer)
I am always the only one in the car.

Right now my car has travelled 34400 miles.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Price
My wife's TCH is an 07 model. I have the tire pressure set at 40 psi, use A/C, cruise control, and in southern Ohio where it's flat the car averages 42 mpg on a 500 mile trip. Cruise set 2 miles over the posted limit.
At 2mph over the posted speed limit here in AZ, I would be doing 77mph.

Which is what I usually run on the interstates, but at that speed it is hard to get 42MPG. Usully I get 38MPG at 77mph w/AC on, and 38psi in the tires.

07 model with 32,000 miles and Michelin LRR tires (original)

Last edited by jbollt; 05-10-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

I have not had >40 for a tank average but I've been close. I did get it up to 43.3 on one trip!! I took a picture as proof. My little trips around town are what drop my MPG, we have a lot hills. If I worked everyday, I'd be over 40.

I did get 40.5 yesterday on a 2 hr highway drive.

Kristi

Old 05-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

IMO David has pretty much "nailed it" in regard to a long highway trip under favorable conditions

Many threads in this forum are loaded with tips on driving techniques that will improve on this somewhat.

But, as the window sticker says. "Your mileage WILL vary." In my experience the variation is a whole lot more in city driving and commuting than on highway trips. Based on the computer, I have seen city trip mileages vary from under 10 mpg to over 60 mpg in the TCH. Accordingly, I could average anywhere in between those limits that I wanted to --- as long as I could choose my trips. Of course, I usually can not choose my trips, and my usual trips are on the unfavorable end of the scale; so I tend to average about 30 mpg.

Some drivers are fortunate enough to have the kind of daily commute that maximizes the TCH economy. I am not. some who have reported to this forum have mentioned that they have actually re-arranged their commute to take advantage of more favorable trip. Who knows, you or I may be able to do this.

We should all be willing to make some lifestyle changes for the sake of conservation.

Recently, I needed to make a couple of trips to the local IRS office and to the airport. I averaged 45 mpg on the airport trips and over 50 mpg on the IRS trips. I suppose that it could come to pass that I would wind up with a job at the airport and get my average up close to 45, but I sure wouldn't want to need to visit the IRS every couple of days in order to get my average up closer to 50.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: Over 40 mpg?

At consistent speeds above 65 you are unlikely to see an FE above 40 MPG. The energy demand is simply too high.

A lot of variables enter into the FE -- some you can control, and others you cannot. The largest ones are where you live, the route and the type of driving you do.

The biggest one you can control is the discipline required to achieve a high FE. Choose repetitive routes with efficient speeds, learn the route and learn to anticipate small grade changes, stoplights (to hit them while green and without a traffic line-up left over from the red), stop signs, bottlenecks, etc. Learn to drive "ahead" of the car, and stick to the planned speeds.

You will need to learn to let the "A" types pass if you want to maximize FE. This does not mean that you must always crawl along a low speeds, but it does mean gradual and smooth accelerations and braking (when necessary, I try to avoid it with planning and often play a game with myselft to see if I can avoid brakes totally on my 32 mile commute.)

The oft mentioned "Pulse and Glide" used by hypermilers in the Prius does not work as well for the TCH. Instead, learn to carry a little extra speed into the top of a long coast and then "glide" either by accepting gradual speed losses while attempting to keep the MPG indication at 60 MPG above 40, or by gentle use of EV power if below 40 (actually the speed varies with the torque load, but that is an advanced subject).

Good luck in your quest to hit 40. It can be done --- routinely. My TCH has never had a tank average under 40 (although I have come close a few times in the Washington winter -- and I have lifetime fuel receipts to prove it.

Last edited by FastMover; 05-10-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

The first time i filled up, i had 528.8 miles and it took 12.789 gallons to fill=41.3mpg
I can achieve 40+ easily while driving 65-70mph... By the way i have an 08 TCH.
I'm currently on my second tank, averaging 41.7-42MPG. I hope those helps!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

I have never seen my Camry miles per gallon under 42. Includes winter as well. I believe it is because of the warmer climate down along the coast, flat terrain, good driving habits, well versed in Hybrid driving techniques, air condition on ECO but only in the morning ( I don't use the ac in the afternoon unless really hot), and psi 40 to 42.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have around 10,000mi on my TCH and just had the oil changed to 0W-20 oil. I use all the above mentioned tricks........within reason. I just checked manually my MPG and it was right at 42 after i filled up. It seems to have increased around 3-5 mpg after i started using 0W-20 from 5W-20 oil but it also is getting warmer here. I do travel at 70mph in cruise for 10-12 miles and still seem to stay above 40mpg. Tires are at 40psi. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Over 40 mpg?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands