Over 40 mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: Over 40 mpg?

Originally Posted by Forest
First tank of gas (got the car last Saturday) = 5.7L/100km (41.3mpg) - about 865km driven. Weather was wet and cold for the first 4 days, and now it's sunny and warm. I drive in from the foothills of the Rockies to Calgary (approx. 40 km one way), mostly highway - cruise, glide, no harsh acceleration, etc.

In town I use EV mode pretty much anytime there's an opportunity. I went from a fairly busy street to a street with a slight downhill grade to get to work - went over 2km in EV and regen while coasting (EV - top off the battery - EV...). Can't wait until the 'break in' period is over and the engine is 'ready' for some mid-40s mpg mileage...summer's less than a month away...
That's pretty much how I do it too. I don't use cruise control though. Even with the slightest hills I can still keep the FE higher than using cruise. I try and time the E-mode usage the same way. Use it on the flat to lower inclines and charge back up on the way down. I also try and get some long breaking distances down when coming into some stop signs.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forest
...summer's less than a month away...
HA! Summer's less than a month away? Wish that was the case here in Tucson, AZ! It's going to be 100 F today and 104 by Sunday! Summer's here! (But I wouldn't trade our "winters" for yours!!)

And now back to our regularly scheduled forum.

I do find my economy better in the spring and fall, no A/C and no heat. (yes we do get a few mornings in winter at or slightly below freezing, requiring the use of the car heater for a few minutes, and a longer warm-up time for the ICE.)

Old 05-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Wink Re: Over 40 mpg?

Originally Posted by coolshock1
... I also try and get some long breaking distances down when coming into some stop signs.
...or stopped school buses, garbage trucks, flaggers in construction zones, cars turning left on two lane roads, pedestrians in crosswalks, red lights with a long stopped queue ahead of you... or a deer in the headlights.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

I'm really pleased that I'm averaging 39MPG per tank with almost all highway driving! Doing nothing special except using Cruise whenever I can - using tooling along at about 65 - Air in the tires is whatever content and pressure they came from the dealer with. Have just over 10K on this '08.