Paint Chips on my Hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Paint Chips on my Hood

1) I have 3-4 paint chips on the front of my hood, but one is especially big (about 1 cm). They all reveal the metal underneath. I've heard lots of complaints about Toyota paint jobs (mine was made in Japan). Fortunately, I don't have paint chips anywhere else on the car. Has anyone repaired their own paint chips? How did you do it? I have a can of electric blue ribbon touch up paint from the dealer...can I use that?

2) how much does it cost to repair small chips at a paint shop?

3) If I want to buy my own clear coat to spray on the car, which brand do you recommend and where do I buy it?

I do have fine scratches on the car from regular washing and whatnot. I'm thinking of getting the Zaino product that gets rid of swirl marks and scratches. I also plan to claybar the car on its 1 yr anniversary in July.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Paint Chips on my Hood

Ask in your community who is the best body shop, bring it to them and have them tell you. Don't do it yourself.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Spot fixes don't work well...you need to reshoot the panel for good paint and clearcoat. Unless you are an autopainter, I don't see that as a DIY thing.

I would just wait until it's really, really bad and then do the whole hood. That's what I do with the bumpers.

It use to be that you could spot fix big chips/marks, but these days, with the paint and coats, it's better to just live with it until it is really bad.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am new to the forum, but have had great success with clear bras on my other vehicles. I would recommend one after the chips are repaired and the paint has cured.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by habu968
I am new to the forum, but have had great success with clear bras on my other vehicles. I would recommend one after the chips are repaired and the paint has cured.
Absolutely. I read a lot here about the paint quality before I bought my TCH, so the first (literally) thing I did after driving it off the lot was to go have the clear film installed on the front. I've been driving it since June last year, and there's not one single chip (now to knock wood continuously for the next 15 min).

Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Kimi,

If you are a detail nut when it comes to cars (you use a Porter Cable to polish the paint and get mad when you are forced to drive through a mud puddle and debate the virtues of carnauba wax vs. sealants....) you can make minor repairs to the paint. Please note that the repairs will be noticeable with metallic paints and less so with solid colors.

The best way that I have found was written up by another car nut. It works well if you have some patience. You will not lose either way, as the panel will eventually need to be re-painted. Until then you can hide some of the “oops” and learn in the process. If you really screw the hood up, it will just get re-painted a little sooner…

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=27