Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Partial plug-in solution for TCH

Originally Posted by chris_h
Sounds like a crankcase heater.
Ah, could be.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

Sounds like a snake oil sellsman trick. Where do we line up to buy?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

To all who replied, thanks for your interest, and sorry my the delay in responding. Weekends happen!

To Chris and Michael: You got it !

The installation was a block heater. It has been discussed on many threads and posts in this forum. It is a Toyota part specifically for this car and some other late model Toyotas.

I've had it for some time now but only recently installed it. It is so simple and effective and brings so many benefits I do not know why I did not install a block heater a long time ago...............and I wonder why practically everyone has not been using them.

I finally realized that the biggest culprit preventing me both from doing more EV driving and from getting good mileage was a combination of cold starts and short trips.

So, I finally installed mine and the results have been very, very satisfying.
Percentage-wise the gas-saving benefits will only seem great to short trip mileage drivers like me, but I think all daily drivers could save at least one or two gallons a month. I usually only use on the order of 10 gallons a month, so that would amount to 10% or 20% less gas used for me.

I will start a new thread on the benefits of block heaters in any climate, where I will discuss the benefits more fully.

But this truly is only a partial solution. The next step is to find a way to get even a little charge into the traction battery without running the ICE.

I hope, now, to generate some discussion of the possibilities for this in the present thread.

In connection providing plug-in capability for hybrids, manufacturers seem to be fixated on the need for bigger batteries to enable 20 or 40-mile EV commutes. But I suppose that many like me would be overjoyed to be able to live with the batteries we have and add enough charge overnight to simply top off our present batteries and enable an EV trip of only a short distance the next morning -- even after we've drained the battery down to a low state of charge by mostly EV-ing our way through the last few miles home.

Are there any electrical engineers out there with enough knowledge of the TCH system to figure out how to do this ?

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 03-17-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 AM

I can only add a little to Smilin' Jack's message. The block heater heats not only the block, but helps the oil flow. It also helps the spark plugs, by getting them hot enough to fire cleanly. The heater also helps the engine to start easily in any weather. The pre-warmed engine may run for a very short ways then switch to the EV mode if you driving around 40 mph or slower.

Jimmy

Last edited by rburt07; 05-10-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 PM

There have been several threads regarding block heaters here. May I suggest the discussion be taken there...makes it easier for those coming in looking for info regarding block heaters to find...rather than the quasi-deceptive title of this thread.

As an example: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-heater-16461/

Last edited by jbollt; 03-18-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jbollt
There have been several threads regarding block heaters here. May I suggest the discussion be taken there...makes it easier for those coming in looking for info regarding block heaters to find...rather than the quasi-deceptive title of this thread.
Jeff,

Thanks for chiming in again. I enjoy many of your posts in this forum.

But you will note that I have already announced (see post 14, above) my intention to carry the block heater discussion into a separate thread.

Regarding the deceptive title, I'll admit to trying to have a little fun, but my main purpose was not to attract those looking for info on block heaters. I was hoping to lure in some that might be looking to save gas and could benefit from a block heater but not know it.

I supposed that anyone looking for info on block heaters (and who would know what they are called) would be looking for solutions related to easing cold climate starts or getting faster cabin heat. And warm climate drivers looking for fuel savings or more EV mode would probably not think to look in the block heater threads. Most of my acquaintances here in Houston never heard of a block heater, and those who have heard the term have no idea that it might save gas.

Please note also that I am still looking for the other part of the solution; i.e., means to put on a moderate overnight battery charge.

Do you have any thoughts about that ?

Old 05-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Very interesting to read about your engine block heater. I was wondering if you could share some details such as where you purchased it, how much it cost, if it is an original Toyota part. What about warranty issues? Thanks, Rick

Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by rickkop
Very interesting to read about your engine block heater. I was wondering if you could share some details such as where you purchased it, how much it cost, if it is an original Toyota part. What about warranty issues? Thanks, Rick
Rick,

Yes, it is a Toyota part. I purchased it from my dealer for approximately $40.00

The dealer's order for my block heater (September, 2008) listed "Part number / description" as: 00213-00900 block heater.

The box it came in (form Toyota Canada Inc.) shows the number, PU140-00900.

I installed it myself using GREAT instructions (with pictures) posted here by Squint:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...uctions-12841/

Some have posted here that they have had theirs installed by the dealer. And many in cold climates apparently already have it installed in their TCH when they take delivery; so, I can't imagine that there could be a warranty problem.

I agree with many who think that regular use of a block heater should reduce engine wear and increase engine life.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 05-10-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

why would he go to all that trouble of posting and not give details?

Quick Reply: Partial plug-in solution for TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands