Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Veracitorian Muser
Default Re: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Originally Posted by SPL
1. If you look at the LCD displays (both radio and climate control in the non-NAV; climate control only in the NAV) through polarized sunglasses, you’ll find that the angle at which the display is most clearly visible is around 30 degrees counter-clockwise from horizontal.
This would require a standard that automakers and sunglass makers agree to follow. I have different pairs of polarized sunglasses that work differently, and vary from car to car. A standard here might be a great idea!
4. The wheel icon in the Multi-Function Display in the dash isn’t circular.
This is more a matter of aesthetics. Getting things like this technically right, often make them less pleasing to look at, and the technical errors are not usually noticed by most.
6. The heating/cooling fan starts up briefly for ~0.5 second, and then stops, when one starts the car with the engine cold and the ambient temperature below 0 degrees C (32 degrees F). Why?
This is just a guess, but perhaps the duct (or other] air needs to be displaced to properly measure the inside or outside air temps due to the placement of the temp sensors, so that the best start up cycle can be determined.
8. The knock-out wire pass-through holes in the console box (below the climate controls) is too small for some power adapters to fit through.
It was obviously designed for wires, not power adapters. Larger knock-outs create other issues (like letting other things pass the wire when the adapter is not filling the hole!), and would still exclude even larger adapters. Power adapters can be installed behind the knock-outs, and the wires will still come through, although some minor wire surgery may be required!
9. The center console’s lid does not stay open when raised.
Mine does! Complain to dealer at next service.
10. The driver’s seatbelt catches on the lower plastic protrusion on the LHS of the driver’s seat, if the seat is moved fairly far forwards (e.g., for a short driver such as me). [and]
11. Unused front seatbelt buckles knock against the plastic B-pillar moldings as one drives, causing an annoying noise.
The only vehicle that I've ever owned (of over a dozen/half dozen different makes) that properly managed most aspects of seat belt handling was an 850 Volvo. This Camry rates far higher than most of my other cars, including my previous Lexus GS.
12. The power sockets are too tight and/or deep.
I believe this is a case where standards are not strict enough, or strictly enough followed. Some plugs are too tight, and some are too loose. It is not Toyota's fault that so much variance needs to be accommodated (not that the accommodation could not be improved somewhat.
16. The car’s cruise control behavior on level ground is fine, but on rolling hills it’s totally egregious, and indicates to me that this feedback control system may be close to instability.
As I noted before, my cc does not have this problem (as my last Mercedes did, only MUCH worse that was described by any here. My MB dealer said mine was within spec and refused to make it work acceptably. Others here have been told the same by their Toyota dealer. I say this should be escalated at the dealer and force Toyota to fix it. The fact that mine works so well is enough evidence that it can and should work well.
17. The Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) system appears not to work when switched “on”
Mine does work, but not as well as the one in my Lexus worked. The Lexus had an ambient noise measurement that adjusted the ASL. Just putting down the window at speed would increase the ASL boost. The TCH ASL seems to be strictly a function of car speed, and gives less boost than I am used to. However, it does work in my THC, and is much better than no ASL. For the most part, I do not need to adjust the radio volume as I am driving, as I would without it. Perhaps if one listens to the radio much louder or softer than I, then the ASL may not work as well for them. It certainly could work better, as my Lexus did. (Or, maybe it just doesn't work with country music-I wouldn't know! ).

-- Alan

Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
* I want my NAV / Touch-Screen functions to be alive/active when I'm driving, not only when I'm stopped.
I, for one, am grateful that more people aren't fidgeting with their NAVs when they should be driving.

Ooh, I want a bumpersticker that says "Quit playing with your NAVs and drive!" - hehehe.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I have two hooks for bags in the trunk. They are incorporated in the connecgtors for the cargo net.
So that's what those things are...

For awhile I was considering one of these:

But a few weeks ago I had one of those horrible moments when all the plastic bags in the self-checkout line were impossible to separate. I'll probably get reusable cloth bags which are less of a hassle and also a lot better for the environment.

The dim trunk light can easily be replaced with a variety of LED arrays that will attach with double-sided tape and plug directly into the existing socket.

Last edited by Squint; 02-24-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

I found he trunk light dim also, and didn't want to bother with the led solution, so I replaced the standard #194 bulb with a #921 which gives me plenty of light, and uses the same base.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by elsifer
I, for one, am grateful that more people aren't fidgeting with their NAVs when they should be driving.

Ooh, I want a bumpersticker that says "Quit playing with your NAVs and drive!" - hehehe.

Oooooo... Do I detect a mild case of NAV ENVY???

Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by docroy
I found he trunk light dim also, and didn't want to bother with the led solution, so I replaced the standard #194 bulb with a #921 which gives me plenty of light, and uses the same base.
Yep - There's ways to improve upon the lighting... I'm just not so sure I should have to do something like this on a car that cost me 32k...

Thanks for the tip and the part number...

Old 02-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've only had the car a couple of days so my list is short...The only thing that bothers me so far is the inability to override the Nav lock out while driving. When driving I want to see a list of POI's and choose the one I want instead of having the POI's show up on the Nav screen. It's too difficult to pick the one you want (especially when there are multiple POI's in the same area) while driving when it shows up as an icon on the screen...

Otherwise I'm very happy with the car so far...

Last edited by tnsig; 02-26-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

alan_in_tempe:
(a) There is a standard for polarized sunglasses, set by the plane of polarization of sky light. Both my pairs of polarized sunglasses have the same plane of polarization. It's chosen to minimize the "glare" from the sky. I would have expected Toyota to have designed the LCD displays to be brightest/clearest when the driver's head is vertical, and not expect the driver to tilt his/her head counterclockwise 30 degrees to be able to read the displays. I've checked out some LCD displays (both Camrys and other Toyota vehicles) at my Toyota dealership, and they all have the same tilt!

(b) I have an Alpine "Blackbird" portable GPS that I use in my TCH. The power cable cannot be disconnected from its cradle, whose dimensions are far too large to fit through the knock-out holes. The other end of the power cable has a medium-sized "head" containing the power plug and a small LED power-on light, but it's also too large to pass through. Stuck!

Stan

Old 03-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

I've had my Camry since July and fortunately have not come across the squeaks and rattles that I see people post. My only complaint is the outside temperature is on the display with 50 other things. They should put the temp next to the clock or on the rear view mirror.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kbearhome
I've had my Camry since July and fortunately have not come across the squeaks and rattles that I see people post. My only complaint is the outside temperature is on the display with 50 other things. They should put the temp next to the clock or on the rear view mirror.
+1

Quick Reply: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands