Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Big one. It won't run. Bought it Tuesday 3/20 with 4 miles on odometer. Drive it 50 miles on Wednesday -- loved it. Thursday morning 8 a.m., it's dead in my garage. Various warning lights come on but the car won't go to Ready status and won't move under its own power. The dealer has now had the car for 3 days and cannot give me an answer, except to say that they don't have a return policy and "have been down this road before". In other words, I'm stuck with a car that does not move (unless pushed - which is how the dealer's workers loaded it onto a truck). Obviously, I'm not happy. Where's my sweet little BMW when I need it. Folks, this car is not ready for prime time. Buyer beware.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Originally Posted by satchselmer
Big one. It won't run. Bought it Tuesday 3/20 with 4 miles on odometer. Drive it 50 miles on Wednesday -- loved it. Thursday morning 8 a.m., it's dead in my garage. Various warning lights come on but the car won't go to Ready status and won't move under its own power. The dealer has now had the car for 3 days and cannot give me an answer, except to say that they don't have a return policy and "have been down this road before". In other words, I'm stuck with a car that does not move (unless pushed - which is how the dealer's workers loaded it onto a truck). Obviously, I'm not happy. Where's my sweet little BMW when I need it. Folks, this car is not ready for prime time. Buyer beware.
Sorry to hear about your TCH. Sounds like you will need to take advantage of the lemon law. You should try to talk to the regional office or something and see what they can do.

Every manufacturer has their share of lemons. No manufacturer will have 100% of their cars free from problems. If I had to guess I would bet BMW has had more reliability issues than Toyota.

Fortunately my TCH has been problem free. Keep us informed with your situation.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

[quote=tnsig;117772]Sorry to hear about your TCH. Sounds like you will need to take advantage of the lemon law. You should try to talk to the regional office or something and see what they can do.

Every manufacturer has their share of lemons. No manufacturer will have 100% of their cars free from problems. If I had to guess I would bet BMW has had more reliability issues than Toyota.

Amen Vince! After owning several BMW's and Mercedes they are total crap compared to Toyota. Have owned many Lexus (and still do) and never any problems. Just do your research of reliability of BMW and M ercedes, they rate terrible. Ol Sach has been trollin the whole net today on various sites, post # 1

Last edited by skywagon; 03-24-2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: not complete
Old 03-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Mine has a trunk light, though not very bright, and it also has 2 bag holders on the cargo net.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.
Cool Re: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Originally Posted by SPL
alan_in_tempe:
(a) There is a standard for polarized sunglasses, set by the plane of polarization of sky light. Both my pairs of polarized sunglasses have the same plane of polarization. It's chosen to minimize the "glare" from the sky. I would have expected Toyota to have designed the LCD displays to be brightest/clearest when the driver's head is vertical, and not expect the driver to tilt his/her head counterclockwise 30 degrees to be able to read the displays. I've checked out some LCD displays (both Camrys and other Toyota vehicles) at my Toyota dealership, and they all have the same tilt!

(b) I have an Alpine "Blackbird" portable GPS that I use in my TCH. The power cable cannot be disconnected from its cradle, whose dimensions are far too large to fit through the knock-out holes. The other end of the power cable has a medium-sized "head" containing the power plug and a small LED power-on light, but it's also too large to pass through. Stuck!

Stan
I have no problem seeing the displays with my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses. No adverse effects. What brand of glasses are you wearing?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

jay_man2 — My sunglasses are made by Guess. But I checked them and the TCH display with another pair of sunglasses made by Polaroid. These glasses both behave similarly, giving maximum reduction of the skylight glare when one's head is vertical, as ought to be the case, and don't give maximum visibility of the TCH display at this orientation. At what angle do you get maximum clarity of your display — or, conversely, at what angle do you get extinction of your display? [These two angles will be perpendicular to each other.]

Stan

Old 03-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Originally Posted by jay_man2
I have no problem seeing the displays with my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses. No adverse effects. What brand of glasses are you wearing?
I think that we should have a group buy!!!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

My new RX polarized sunglasses have no problem seeing the NAV display.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:22 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Note that I'm not talking about the NAV display (it might or might not have this behavior, but since I have a non-NAV, I don't know). Look rather at either the non-NAV radio or the heating/cooling LCD to check for this effect.

Stan

Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast

You know, I just figured out today that I have the same problem with one of my pairs of sunglasses - I remember now, I've looked at the radio several times and seen nothing, and I just thought the backlight had gone out or something.

Anyways, oddly enough, with my head upright it seems to be about 50% gone, as if I tilt about 45 degrees to the left, it comes all the way clear, and goes black at 45 to the right.

Fortunately, I only buy $2 sunglasses (I lose them on a weekly basis), so the fix is easy: wear a different pair, as no other set has the same problem. My mom was in the car, and her prescription shades had no problem either.

Quick Reply: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands