Playing in the snow...beeps and lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Playing in the snow...beeps and lights

Snowing here in NJ, so I decided to take the gray lady (my car, not my wife) to an empty parking lot to play in the snow, skidding and swerving. I do it every year to get used to adverse driving conditions, etc.
I noticed, while 'essing', that a light (bottom right side of dash) flickered on and off (although not long enough to see what it was) and the car was beeping.
I guess that's good, the car told me I was skidding and swerving on ice (in case I wasn't already aware).
In any event, playing was fun. Tonight's commute home (only 5 miles) might not be as much fun.

Last edited by haroldo; 02-22-2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:18 AM
blahhhhhh!
Default Re: Playing in the snow...beeps and lights

Originally Posted by haroldo
Snowing here in NJ, so I decided to take the gray lady (my car, not my wife) to an empty parking lot to play in the snow, skidding and swerving. I do it every year to get used to adverse driving conditions, etc.
I noticed, while 'essing', that a light (bottom right side of dash) flickered on and off (although not long enough to see what it was) and the car was beeping.
I guess that's good, the car told me I was skidding and swerving on ice (in case I wasn't already aware).
In any event, playing was fun. Tonight's commute home (only 5 miles) might not be as much fun.
The flickering light its the traction control (it comes on every morning coming out of my driveway! )... If I remember from previous posts the beeping is the VDIM? (stability control?) I don't think it's traction control, because mine never beeps when the traction light comes on.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah the beeping signifies stability control.

Note that VDIM is quite advanced and doesn't allow the car to step out of line. VSC does. You can fishtail in VSC but you'll get back in line.

Check this link out for a video of the different Toyota safety features:
http://www.nihoncar.com/en/review-33...e%2C+HDTV.html

Load the first video.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Yeah the beeping signifies stability control.

Note that VDIM is quite advanced and doesn't allow the car to step out of line. VSC does. You can fishtail in VSC but you'll get back in line.

Check this link out for a video of the different Toyota safety features:
http://www.nihoncar.com/en/review-33...e%2C+HDTV.html

Load the first video.
So the TCH has VDIM, same as the Lexus in the vid??? Which means I can drive 100MPH in the snow if I want and I won"t wreck?!?

PS Just kidding about the 100MPH thing...

Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yep. One of two Toyotas to have VDIM (the other is the HiHy).

lol. But you can see the difference between VSC and VDIM right? There is A-VSC (A for advanced) which is similar to VDIM (in that it uses the electric power steering to assist the driver) but doesn't actually adjust the steering like VDIM. It just provides resistance in the wrong direction (so the driver is more inclined to turn the correct way to steer out of a skid)