Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Mine has been documented elsewhere, but yes, Aug 11 my windshield was cracked and broken, and needed to be replaced. In service June 26.

FWIW, the glass man had another TCH coming in the day mine was replaced. Also said that a disproportionate amount of his work was hybrid related. He found it curious because he said TCH glass was extremely high quality and, if anything, should be LESS likely to need to be replaced.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Over the weekend I was traveling at 75 mph on I-8 and a small stone 1/2" in dia. flew up from behind a semi. Only saw it a split second before it hit dead-center of the windshield. No damage was done but it made very little noise when it hit. I guess the sound-absorbing works.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:59 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by greencat
...The scratch is small but now that I realized it's there, it bothers me. Any quick fix to make it go away?

Thanks.
Jeweler's Rouge in water, a felt pad and some elbow grease.
J

Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldgz
I like to get count how many people here get TCH windshield cracked recently and how long you own a TCH.
I've had my TCH since May 22nd. I think I've had one little rock smack the windshield which left no damage. No windshield problems here (yet).

Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldgz
I like to get count how many people here get TCH windshield cracked recently and how long you own a TCH. I like to use this kind of static data to show Toyota.

I'm thinking TCH windshield is really a problem one according to the examples I heard from local glass shop. It's more easy to get cracked thanregular Camry. If that's the case, it's not safe to TCH driver and Toyota need recall that.
I have about 7,000 miles on my TCH. I thought for sure the windshield would crack last month when a rock from a trailer truck slammed into it at high speed. It was so loud I ducked reflexively like hearing a gun shot. Much to my surprise, window had no cracks or chips--My 2001 Camry needed 2 windshield for major cracks from less than this. Maybe I'm just lucky, but so far my experience has not been a worrisome one.

I think your project is a good one, and would like to know if TCH windshields are different for crack rates. Perhaps better than a poll is the actual data of how many windshields for the TCH have been ordered aftermarket - I suspect this information could be obtained and then you eliminate sampling bias in comparing rates.

Last edited by Joe.B; 09-05-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've had my camry Hybrid for about 4.5 months, approaching my first oil change, and Friday I noticed I had a crack in the lower right corner, going maybe 20% of the way across. I'm aware of no impacts that would have caused it, I'm actually suspicious that it's due to temperature changes or something. I have to say it bugs me that the windshield's already damaged before my first oil change, and my old POS car had the original windshield for almost 12 years.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Dazed and Confused

I wonder if Hybrid owners are more likly to be hit with rocks from passing trucks as we tend to drive slower. In a non-hybrid, the driver might be more inclinded to drive at the same speed as traffic exposing them to less passing trucks that can fling the rocks into the air.

Just a theory.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got rocked about a week or so ago. I had purchased the diamon-fusion product with the concurrent 4 year warranty (which has now pretty much paid for itself). The crack was small to begin with but did spread rapidly after a pothole cause the initial expansion.

Windshield was replaced by a PPG produced model (visually identical) under the warranty, I have noticed no difference in noise (my MPG seems to have gone down a tad tho, but that also may be related to temperature changes). As far as I understand it though the original windshield was acoustically different, but should not affect mileage. Is anyone aware of anything different?

Old 11-06-2006, 02:57 PM
it's just a car...

Pushing 10,000 miles and have no problems - yet.

My previous post on the subject:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...8175#post88175

Old 03-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Angry Re: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

ARGH!!!!

Was cleaning the pollen off my windshield this morning and found a rock ding that is starting to spider. Definitely occurred within the last 48hrs since the chip was not there last time I had to clean the windshield. Car was put into service on Aug 1, 2006 so it took just over 7 months for the first crack.

Quick Reply: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands