Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

No crack on my windshield-yet. I've got over 11,000 miles and I purchased my TCH on Sept 13, 2006.

Also, during the snow storm, while driving on a pkwy a car in front of me had a huge chunk of ice (approx. 1 ft sq.) fly off its top and headed straight for my windshield. The parkway has only two lanes and there was a car by my side so I had no choice but to watch in horror as this piece came hurling down on my TCH. It landed on the windshield with a pretty loud bang (I ducked almost instantaneously as a reflex) and there was no crack.... till date.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast

The first time I drove my TCH out of town, two weeks after I bought it, a nice big rock was thrown up and chipped my windshield. It looked like it wanted to spread, but my insurance carrier fixed it for free. Now I have a nasty little blemish on my nice new car.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
HSD Organic Interface

10 months and 15,000km and no problems so far. I've had 2 or 3 strong strikes that were loud enough to scare the charge out of my battery but the glass held firm.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

Well this post sure caught my eye. I have a Jeep with 90,000 and not a scratch on the windshied. Also a 93 Ranger with 90,000 plus and one crack.
10 days after getting my HyCam.
I got a small chip/crack in the Windshield. Small rock caught me when a car passed me going just over 35 MPH.
Maybe total coincidence.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

No, I think the way the front end is desighned it is a rock scooper. One week after having mine, I met a semi tractor without a trailer, he threw what must have been a bolt or nut off somewhere and it hit hood mid way up and then windshield, not breaking it but chipped it good. It left 2 chips in hood and 2 in windshield which has me thinking it was a bolt and not a rock. The hood slowed it down or it would have broken the windshield, when i had my clear bra installed i had them go half way up the hood which should prevent this again.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Add me to the list of folks who believe this car's front aerodynamics somehow make it a rock-magnet of sorts. I got my first windshield "crevice" just a week after driving it off the lot (~6/7mths ago), and can probably count about 4 little craters so far. I've never had that with any other car.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HybridFan
Add me to the list of folks who believe this car's front aerodynamics somehow make it a rock-magnet of sorts. I got my first windshield "crevice" just a week after driving it off the lot (~6/7mths ago), and can probably count about 4 little craters so far. I've never had that with any other car.
I really doubt aerodynamics has anything to do with it. A rock has to be kicked up into the air by something in front of you, and then you approach it too quickly to have any impact on it's flight pattern. I think the problem is the design of the windshield, whether it's the curvature, the angle, the way it's mounted to the frame, etc. IMHO the design of the 07Camry windshield creates stress points not normally found in other windshields. Hence, this windshield is more susceptible to failure, since it is under more pressure. A small rock is going to cause this windshield to want to release pressure more than other windshields, and the result of that pressure release is a ding/chip/crack. Again, this is JMHO.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by flopshot
I really doubt aerodynamics has anything to do with it. [...] this windshield is more susceptible to failure, since it is under more pressure. A small rock is going to cause this windshield to want to release pressure more than other windshields, and the result of that pressure release is a ding/chip/crack.
Point well taken, flopshot! I take back my 'aerodynamics' comment and can definitely accept this windshield explanation.

Unfortunately for me as new Camry owner, the end-result is still more dings/chips/cracks than I ever had with any previously-owned vehicle.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Out of all of you who have assorted windshield problems from flying objects, has anyone taken the car in to get the windshield repaired? I know in some states the car can fail inspection if the chips in the direct line of sight for the driver. That said, my ranger has a few dings and they are both in the line of sight and it has never failed.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

Add me to the casualty list...I came out of work yesterday afternoon and discovered a HUGE crack running across the windshield, starting at the upper passenger-side corner, going down about a foot, and running over halfway across the width of the windshield. That crack was NOT there when I parked my car in the morning. And to the best of my memory, a rock hasn't hit my windshield since Monday morning. There's a definite point of impact right at the very top of the glass. I don't know for certain that it was a rock, but there's no other damage to the car to indicate a person intentionally inflicted the damage on my baby.

For the record, yesterday afternoon was sunny and quite warm, more so than the prior few days, and my car was parked outside. I bought the car last September, and have only noticed one minor chip in the glass until yesterday.

I'm going in to have it replaced either this afternoon or Monday morning. I guess the tax credit I just got will go towards paying my deductible!

Quick Reply: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands