Possible Causes of TCH Unintended Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Possible Causes of TCH Unintended Acceleration

If you want to search for this issue... http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
It's not a quick and easy page, but the info you seek might be there

Interesting...one person submitted multiple claims...does that count as one or multiple 'incidents;?

Report Date : February 24, 2010 at 01:53 PM
Search Type : VEHICLE
Year : 2008
Make : TOYOTA
Model : CAMRY HV
Make : TOYOTA Model : CAMRY HV Year : 2008
Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10313296 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: June 20, 2009
VIN : Not Available
Component: STEERING
Summary:
JUNE, 2009 MY 2008 CAMRY HYBRID VERED ACROSS TWO LANES OF TRAFFIC EVEN THOUGH I WAS HOLDING THE STEERING WHEEL AND DID NOT STEER THE VEHICLE IN THAT DIRECTION. ALSO, ON THAT SAME TRIP, WHEN ENGAGING CRUISE CONTROL, MY 2008 CAMRY STARTED TO ACCELERATE RAPIDLY, I DISENGAGED CRUISE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY, AND PUSHED THEN RELEASED THE GAS PEDAL AND IT CORRECTED.

ODI ID Number : 10313129 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: April 25, 2009
VIN : 4T1BB46K98U...
Component: UNKNOWN OR OTHER
Summary:
I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS A COMPLAINT AND WRITE AS I SEE THE TOYOTA PRIUS BRAKE INVESTIGATION. I HAVE A CAMRY HYBRID AND HAD A BRAKE PROBLEM LAST SPRING. ON SATURDAY 4-25-09, MY VSC/ABS/WARNING LIGHT CAME ON WHILE I WAS NEAR THE BAIERL CADILLAC DEALERSHIP. AS I HAD LEASED FROM BAIERL TOYOTA, I PULLED IN THE BAIERL CADILLAC SERVICE AS THE BRAKES FELT WRONG AND TOOK TWO FEET. THE CAR DID STOP. THEY CALLED BAIERL TOYOTA WHO SAID TO DRIVE UP UNLESS FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS. THE LIGHTS WERE STEADY SO I DROVE SLOWLY WITHOUT ANY ACCIDENT FROM 11410 PERRY HIGHWAY, WEXFORD PA TO 19045 PERRY HIGHWAY, MARS PA TO THE DEALERSHIP. I CALLED MONDAY (ORDERED PART), TUES (WAITING FOR PART FOR BRAKES) AND WED(PART IN MORNING -NEED COMPUTER TO CALIBRATE). THE CAR WAS RETURNED AND THE BRAKES SEEM FINE WITH NO FURTHER VSC/ABS LIGHTS. I DO NOT HAVE THE PARTS. I ASSUME THAT BAIERL TOYOTA, 19045 PERRY HIGHWAY, MARS, PA 16046 HAS THE RECORDS AND COULD TELL YOU MORE. I DID NOT PAY MORE ATTENTION AS IT WAS TAKEN CARE OF BY THE DEALERSHIP UNDER WARRANTY. MY FRIEND SUGGESTED THAT I NOTIFY YOU IN THE EVENT THAT THE HYBRID BRAKES ON THE CAMRY SHOULD ALSO BE CHECKED TO HELP SOMEONE ELSE.

ODI ID Number : 10311406 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: December 10, 2009
VIN : 4T1BB46K28U...
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, ELECTRIC
Summary:
AFTER MY CAR HAD BEEN PARKED OUTSIDE IN THE COLD (DECEMBER IN MINNEAPOLIS) FOR THE DAY, I NOTICED THAT, AT VERY SLOW SPEEDS (I.E. CRAWLING), THE BRAKES ON MY CAR TOOK LONGER THAN NORMAL TO BRING THE CAR TO A HALT. DESPITE MOVING VERY SLOWLY, WHEN I PRESSED HARD ON THE BRAKE, THE CAR STILL CONTINUED MOVING FOR SEVERAL FEET BEFORE I FELT THE BRAKES ENGAGE. I WAS IN A PARKING LOT, SO I TRIED DOING THIS SEVERAL TIMES, EACH WITH THE SAME RESULT. I DROVE HOME ON THE HIGHWAY AND COULD NOT DETERMINE WHETHER THE PROBLEM PERSISTED, BUT I HAVE NOT NOTICED THE SAME ISSUE SINCE.

ODI ID Number : 10310259 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 25, 2008
VIN : 4T1BB46K48U...
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Summary:
ON SEPT 25, 2007 WE PURCHASED FOR MY WIFE A NEW 2008 CAMRY HYBRID AT LONGO TOYOTA, EL MONTE, CA. SHE EXPERIENCED SEVERAL PROBLEMS (DEAD STARTER BATTERY FROM HEADLIGHTS STAYING ON OR COMING ON AFTER PARKING, CAR NOT DECELERATING WHEN FOOT TAKEN OFF ACCELATOR, ODD THINGS WITH AUTO DOOR LOCKS) THE FIRST MONTH, AND WHEN WE CALLED THE DEALER THEY TALKED US INTO ATTENDING A NEW OWNERS MEETING, SO WE COULD BECOME MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE CAR. WHEN WE BROUGHT THESE THING UP DURING THE MEETING, MOST OF IT WAS EXCUSED AS BEING UNFAMILIAR WITH THE CAR FEATURES, ALTHOUGH THEY TOOK THE CAMRY AND AFTER 15 MINUTES TOLD US NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH THE HEADLIGHTS. A SUPPOSED TOYOTA HEADQUARTERS REP STATED TO ME, "THE LITTLE WOMAN ISN'T THAT TECHO, IS SHE"? A MONTH LATER SHE WAS STOPPED GOING TO WORK IN THE EARLY MORNING BY CHP, FOR DRIVING WITHOUT HEADLIGHTS BEING ON, BUT WAS NOT TICKETED BECAUSE THE OFFICER WITNESSED THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH WAS ON. (WE STILL NOTICE THE HEADLIGHT DOING ODD THINGS, AND THE SWITCH IS IN THE ON POSITION, NOT THE AUTI POSITION). BACK TO THE DEALER, NO PROBLEM FOUND. EARLY NOVEMBER 2009 WE RECEIVED FROM TOYOTA MOTOR SALES USA A "POTENTIAL FLOOR MAT INTERFERENCE WITH ACCELERATOR PEDAL SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN (INTERM NOTICE)" WHICH STATED "WE WILL NOTIFY YOU AGAIN AS SOON AS A CAMPAIGN REMEDY IS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR VEHICLE". WE HAVE HEARD NOTHING SINCE THAT TIME, EXCEPT FOR A SEALED OVERSIZED BUSINESS ENVELOPE LAST WEEK, WHICH WAS NOT ABOUT A FIX TO THE VEHICLE PROBLEMS, BUT SALES MATERIALS ON THE NEW 5TH GENERATION 4RUNNER. TOYOTA IS STILL NOT OWNING UP TO ALL THE DEFECTS IN THE CAMRY HYBRID.

ODI ID Number : 10306021 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: January 31, 2010
VIN : JTNBB46K383...
Summary:
08" CAMRY HYBRID - WHEN SET ON CRUISE CONTROL, THE CAR INADVERTENTLY ACCELERATES PASS THE "SET" SPEED POINT WHEN GOING UP OR DOWN HILL, BY MORE THAN 20 MPH BEFORE I DISENGAGED THE CRUISE CONTROL. *JB

ODI ID Number : 10297991 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 1, 2009
VIN : 4T1BB46K88U...
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT LEASED A 2008 TOYOTA CAMRY ON JANUARY 5, 2008. THE VEHICLE WOULD LUNGE FORWARD WHILE THE GEAR SHIFT SELECTOR WAS IN THE REVERSE POSITION. THE MANUFACTURER STATED THAT THERE WOULD BE A RECALL AND THEY COULD NOT FIX THE VEHICLE UNTIL APRIL 2010 WHEN THE RECALL PARTS WERE AVAILABLE. SHE WAS CONCERNED WITH HER SAFETY IN DRIVING THE VEHICLE UNTIL THEN. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGES WERE UNDER 33,000. UPDATED 01/1410 *BF UPDATED 01/20/10.*JB

Crash : Yes Fire : No Number of Injuries: 1
ODI ID Number : 10290745 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: October 11, 2009
VIN : 4T1BB46KX8U...
Summary:
DROVE IN TO A PARK PARKING LOT, PULLED IN TO A PARKING SPACE WHEN ACCELERATOR PEDAL STUCK, BRAKES WENT OUT, RAN IN TO A TREE ABOUT FIVE OR SIX FEET AWAY. IF THERE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THE TREE THERE I COULD HAVE RUN IN TO THE SOCCER GROUP A FEW HUNDRED FEET AWAY AND INJURED OR KILLED THEM AND ME. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10281336 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: May 19, 2009
VIN : 4T1BB46K49U...
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2008 TOYOTA CAMRY HV. THE MAT WHICH IS A PROTECTIVE MAT OVER THE STANDARD VEHICLE MAT CAUSED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO GET STUCK UNDER THE MAT. ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS HE HAD TO STOP THE VEHICLE AND DISCONNECT THE MAT FROM THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 10,000.

Crash : No Fire : Yes Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10275745 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: June 18, 2009
VIN : 4T1BB46K18U...
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER
Summary:
WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 65 MPH ON HWY, HYBRID SYSTEM FAILURE ALERT TURNED ON. NO OTHER INDICATORS ON. ENGINE TEMP WAS NORMAL. ATTEMPTED TO PULL OVER AFTER A FEW MILES AND CAR SEIZED UP, SMOKE WAS BILLOWING FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT. SMALL FLAMES VISIBLE THROUGH GRILL AND WITHIN MINUTES ENTIRE ENGINE COMPARTMENT ENGULFED IN FLAMES. NO PRIOR PROBLEMS EXCEPT THAT ABOUT 6 WEEKS EARLIER THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ILLUMINATED. I TOOK TO THE DEALER AND AFTER RUNNING COMPLETE ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC, DEALER ATTRIBUTED PROBLEM TO A LOOSE GAS CAP. AFTER THAT INCIDENT, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAD NOT REAPPEARED. I HAD THE ENGINE OIL CHANGED AT THE DEALER 4 DAYS PRIOR TO INCIDENT. CAR HAD APPROXIMATELY 28,000 MILES. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10292482 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: January 1, 2008
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
Summary:
APPROXIMATE INCIDENT DATE IS ENTIRELY INACCURATE. I DO NOT REMEMBER WHEN THIS HAPPENED, BUT PROBABLY MORE THAN A YEAR AGO EITHER IN A 2006 CAMRY OR A 2008 CAMRY HYBRID. I BELIEVE THIS TO BE RELATED TO NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID 09V388000. I AM CONCERNED BECAUSE "TOYOTA HAS DETERMINED THAT THIS DEFECT DOES NOT EXIST IN VEHICLES IN WHICH THE DRIVER SIDE FLOOR MAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE VEHICLE AND IS PROPERLY SECURED" AND BELIEVE THAT MY COMPLAINT SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED CONCURRENTLY WITH THIS ONE. 1. MY COMPATIBLE AND PROPERLY SECURED CARPETED DRIVER'S SIDE FLOOR MAT SLIPPED OFF THE RETAINING HOOKS (CLIPS) AND BUNCHED UP UNDER THE PEDALS. THERE ARE ONLY TWO HOOKS, WHICH ARE REMOVABLE, AND THEY SPIN AROUND AND AROUND, ALLOWING THE MAT TO SLIP OFF. I BELIEVE THAT A SIMPLE FIX OF INSTALLING PERMANENT HOOKS THAT DO NOT SPIN, OR FOUR HOOKS, WOULD SOLVE THIS POTENTIALLY FATAL ISSUE. 2. AS I WAS DRIVING, I FOUND MYSELF UNABLE TO DEPRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL. I DISCOVERED THAT MY FLOOR MAT HAD LODGED UNDER THE BRAKE PEDAL, MAKING IT SO THAT COULD NOT PRESS IT DOWN. FORTUNATELY I WAS ABLE TO DISLODGE THE MAT AND AVOID A COLLISION. THIS INCIDENT ONLY HAPPENED ONCE, BUT THE MATS DO COME OFF THE HOOKS FREQUENTLY, THEREFORE I MUST CONSTANTLY MAKE SURE THAT MY MAT IS SECURE AND THAT THE HOOKS ARE FACING THE CORRECT WAY SO THE MAT CANNOT SLIP OFF THEM. 3. THE FAILURE WAS NOT REPORTED AND NO ACTION HAS BEEN TAKEN. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10304466 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: June 20, 2009
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Summary:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2008 TOYOTA CAMRY HYBRID. THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHEN SHE DEPRESSED THE BRAKE PEDAL, SHE FELT A JOLTING JERK AND THE PEDAL WENT DOWN TO THE FLOOR WHEN SHE APPLIED IT LIGHTLY. SHE TOOK THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALERSHIP AND THE DEALER RECALIBRATED THE STROKE SENSOR. ABOUT 8-9 MONTHS LATER, THE ISSUE OCCURRED AGAIN SO SHE TOOK THE VEHICLE BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP, AND THE STROKE SENSOR WAS REPLACED. SHE STATED THAT SHE NOTICED NO PROBLEMS SINCE THE LATEST REPAIR. SHE HAD NOT CALLED THE MANUFACTURER TO-DATE. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS APPROXIMATELY 24,000. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS APPROXIMATELY 20,000.

Last edited by haroldo; 02-24-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

One thing I noticed on the TCH - the OBD port is right under the steering wheel, and uncapped. I wonder if there's a possibility of static discharge from drivers' clothing to the port connectors - which could 'spark' the computer into a tizzy. On our Honda, the OBD port is a bit more 'hidden', and so less likely to act as a ground.

On the Camry Flambe' - there was an incident here (Jax, FL) of a Honda CRV doing much the same. Cause turned out to be a dealer oil change tech who left the old gasket on the oil filter housing - with attendant oil spray on the hot exhaust.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Well, it goes from bad to worse for Toyota

Officer Saves Prius Driver With Stuck Accelerator
AP
A Prius driver calls 911 after accelerating to pass another vehicle on a California freeway and finding that he could not control his car.

Foxnews.com

The 2010 Toyota Prius has been recalled for brake problems, one of a number of challenges facing the Japanese automaker, which employs tens of thousands of Americans.

EL CAJON, California -- A California Highway Patrol officer helped slow a runaway Toyota Prius from 94 mph to a safe stop on Monday after the car's accelerator became stuck on a San Diego County freeway, the CHP said.

Prius driver James Sikes called the police emergency dispatcher about 1:30 p.m. after accelerating to pass another vehicle on Interstate 8 near La Posta and finding that he could not control his car, the CHP said.

"I pushed the gas pedal to pass a car and it did something kind of funny ... it jumped and it just stuck there," the 61-year-old driver said at a news conference. "As it was going, I was trying the brakes...it wasn't stopping, it wasn't doing anything and it just kept speeding up," Sikes said, adding he could smell the brakes burning he was pressing the pedal so hard.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/...ntrol-highway/

Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by roswell
Hi guys

Toyota’s public image has taken a beating recently, after the automaker was forced to halt sales of eight popular models over concerns they could face a problem with sudden, unintended acceleration. Some engineers, however, warn that the problem may not stay confined to Toyota products.
The Detroit Free Press explains, “In today's complex cars, a cell phone, satellite radio or even a restaurant's large microwave could -- in theory -- cause the accelerator to surge out of control, according to engineers familiar with electronic engine technology.” Toyota believes that its problem is mechanical, caused by two parts in the accelerator pedal mechanism that may begin to stick over time, with normal wear. Experts, however, say that the complex electronics found in modern cars could easily trigger the same problem.
The Free Press explains, “Most automotive engines today are governed by sensor-driven throttle systems. Controlled by finely calibrated software, the systems can be thrown out of whack by signals from cell phones or microwave towers, engineering experts said.
Toyota believes that electronic interference has not contributed to the incidents of unintended acceleration brought to its attention so far. Kicking Tires notes, “Toyota says its throttle-control system has fail-safes for such an occurrence and these parts would return a specific error when brought in for repair.”

So far, the automaker says, it hasn’t seen that error in vehicles that, customers claim, have faced the unintended acceleration problem.

Thanks for all
"...hasn't seen that error.."

And as Dr. Gilbert just proved, they're not likely to EVER see that error. Apparently the redundant brake pedal sensors can output non-coherent signals and the Toyota/etc "fail-safe" doesn't detect that.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 AM

reported

Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 AM

reported spam

Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM

The Prius acceleration incident sounded very strange to me from the very beginning. Now this new info makes it even more so:
http://jalopnik.com/5491101/
I especially enjoy the claim " we do not intend to sue anybody" and the next sentence " we hired a lawyer". Is this man speaks with fork tongue, or did he hire criminal lawyer for protection from possible prosecution?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

Wow! That someone will likely try to take advantage of Toyota's vulnerability seems sure to happen. Whether this is an example of that is another matter. The allegations are here, but the evidence is missing.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Weeeeellllll, there are reports he was told by 911 dispatch to switch the car into neutral - he refused claiming the car may flip over ??????, he refused to switch the car off, he was afraid of locking the steering?????, he claims he tried to stop the car for 22 min, in the mean time after the cop told him to use the breaks, all of the sudden the car stops? I would speculate after hard riding the breaks for 22 min. he should have no breaks what so ever. Let me predict the future: Neither Toyota nor NHTSA finds anything wrong with the car, at some point he will be advised by his lawyers not to talk to anybody about the case, so he doesn't give himself out and face criminal chargers, case will be left unresolved and Toyota will settle out of court paying him and his lawyers money, just to not have anymore negative publicity.
There is something called circumstantial evidence and this whole story makes no sense, proof or no proof something is wrong there.

Originally Posted by lzc
Wow! That someone will likely try to take advantage of Toyota's vulnerability seems sure to happen. Whether this is an example of that is another matter. The allegations are here, but the evidence is missing.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pete4
Weeeeellllll, there are reports....
I'd love to see a link to this report. Please post it, I'd like to share the story, but want to make sure it's legit.

Quick Reply: Possible Causes of TCH Unintended Acceleration

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands