Possibly a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Possibly a lemon?

Rouman1, I don't know whether you were seriously considering your car to be a lemon or not. However, just in case, the topic of the California lemon law as it might apply to the Camry Hybrid was discussed at some length in the following thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ight=lemon+law

While I am not an expert in CA lemon laws, I mediate (different than arbitrate) lemon law cases in NJ.

I believe that CA law also allows a finding that a car is a lemon EITHER if a single problem has not been repaired in 4 visits for service OR if it has been off the road in the shop for more than a certain number of days for any one or more problems. Here in NJ the problem(s) has(have) to be of such a nature as to substantially impair the safety, drivability or value of the car. I would guess CA has a similar requirement. You may have to offer Toyota in writing one final opportunity to repair the problem(s) before bringing an action under the statute.

As I advised in the referenced thread, if you might possibly consider bringing an action, make sure that you keep a log of all days when the car was in the shop for repair, and of course keep all service records. Make a written note of all conversations with the service people and any up-line Toyota representatives about the problem. This information will help your lawyer immensely in preparing a proper claim.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Possibly a lemon?

Originally Posted by rouman1
...I have been getting low (compared to the others on this site), and decreasing mileage over my first three tanks of gas.
There's a learning curve to getting the best from your hybrid under any conditions. Three tanks of gas is a little quick to be wondering if you got a lemon.

Check the Prius forum, where there is much more experience since the car has been around for years, and see what you can learn about specific techniques for maximizing MPGs in hilly terrain.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have been struggling with mine. I average about 34-35 mpg at the end of the tank. I do try, but my commute to work is 12 miles. Starting out the car has to warm up which kills FE. The roads speed limit is 45 mph all the way to work however I can not go 1 mile without stopping. Stopping and gaining speed back up to 45 mph kills FE. Then when I am up to speed I find myself stopping again. It just plain SUCKS!! I took the car on a road trip on a back road 55mph speed limt and it was stop and go, but not every mile. I averaged 43 mpg over 300 miles. The car can do it, just not in stop and go traiffic. I am never creaping under 40 mph in traffic.

It kills my FE on my Highlander too, which I wont discuss the numbers.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by FL07THC
I have been struggling with mine. I average about 34-35 mpg at the end of the tank. I do try, but my commute to work is 12 miles. Starting out the car has to warm up which kills FE. The roads speed limit is 45 mph all the way to work however I can not go 1 mile without stopping. Stopping and gaining speed back up to 45 mph kills FE. Then when I am up to speed I find myself stopping again. It just plain SUCKS!! I took the car on a road trip on a back road 55mph speed limt and it was stop and go, but not every mile. I averaged 43 mpg over 300 miles. The car can do it, just not in stop and go traiffic. I am never creaping under 40 mph in traffic.

It kills my FE on my Highlander too, which I wont discuss the numbers.
I know this sounds counterintuitive but try being a little more agressive with your accelerations. I don't suggest you floor it but if you accelerate more vigorously the battery will assist more than in mild acceleration. The more you use the battery the better your FE. Now accelerate to just above your target speed and let up briefly on the accelerator. If below approx. 42 mph you stand a good chance of dropping into EV mode which gives you the best FE. If above 42 mph you'll be in partial EV mode which is similar to EV but the ICE rotates to keep MG(?) from overspeeding.
J

Old 10-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think the good doctor is right on. We've also experimented with different levels of acceleration from rest and there's definitely a sweet spot at what I'd consider "moderate" acceleration. Stomping on it wastes fuel for sure, but accelerating too gently (unless it's SO gently as to never leave E-mode) tends to use just the ICE to do the work, and uses it longer.

Watch the power distribution and instantaneous mpg displays. At moderate acceleration, both the ICE and MG are used, and the instantaneous mpg is about the same as for gentle acceleration, but you have to do it for less time until up to speed, so less fuel is consumed. We've been using this technique since the last half of our previous tank. That one was the best tank mpg to date (around 39 mpg). The current tank is even better, around 41 mpg so far (indicated), but it's not time to fill up yet, so I can't quite declare that as a tank average.

It's pretty cool that great economy can be had without dedicated hypermiling techniques.