Q about On vs Accessory mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Q about On vs Accessory mode

Is there a way to go from driving-the-car power On mode, to just Accessory mode, without turning off the car? I wish there was.

If I have music buffered in my Sirius tuner, it goes away when the car shuts off, but if I want to park and continue listening, do I need to remain in On mode? I'd love to go to accessory mode, but I don't see any obvious way to do it.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Q about On vs Accessory mode

I could not find anyway to go from ON to ACC. I'm guessing that if you leave the car on and shut off heavy power drains (heat, A/C) it won't be much different than leaving the car in ACC mode.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:44 AM
SPL

elsifer — If you push the Start button while the car is in Ready, but not in Park (e.g., in Drive or Neutral), it will go into Accessory mode and not Off. To subsequently switch it Off requires going through On (foot off brake) to Off. Alternatively, you can go back into Ready mode by pressing Start while depressing the brake pedal.

Stan

Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

OOooh, thanks SPL - I'll have to go play around. I read the owner's manual cover to cover, and didn't see that anywhere.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to be in accessory mode, but not in Park - that's odd, don't you think? After I switch it to ACC mode, I can then put it in park, right?

Old 11-17-2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by elsifer
OOooh, thanks SPL - I'll have to go play around. I read the owner's manual cover to cover, and didn't see that anywhere.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to be in accessory mode, but not in Park - that's odd, don't you think? After I switch it to ACC mode, I can then put it in park, right?
I don't think it's meant as a way to go from ON to ACC. It's more a matter of the car not allowing you to shut it off unless it's in PARK. So although not intended for that use it will probably do what you want.

Question to SPL - How do you know you're in ACC mode, and not still ON?

Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I don't think it's meant as a way to go from ON to ACC. It's more a matter of the car not allowing you to shut it off unless it's in PARK. So although not intended for that use it will probably do what you want.

Question to SPL - How do you know you're in ACC mode, and not still ON?
I think there are a LOT more lights on in ON mode that in ACC. Like everything but the READY light.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:54 AM
SPL

elsifer — Yes indeed, after switching to ACC mode from Drive or Neutral, you can move the selector to Park and it will stay in ACC mode. The only place I found this was on an information card attached with string to the gear shift lever when I received the car. I guess they forgot to put it in the Owner's Manual. Maybe the dealer removed yours?

Orcrone — The Ready light in the instrument cluster will be "off" when you're in either ACC or ON mode. It will be "on" in the normal "ready to drive" mode. The ON mode appears to mimic the "on" state of a non-hybrid car — all the instruments are "on" but the engine is not running. The Ready light appears intended to show that you're beyond ON, by mimicking the "engine running and ready to drive" state of a non-hybrid.

Stan

Old 11-20-2006, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
Orcrone — The Ready light in the instrument cluster will be "off" when you're in either ACC or ON mode. It will be "on" in the normal "ready to drive" mode. The ON mode appears to mimic the "on" state of a non-hybrid car — all the instruments are "on" but the engine is not running. The Ready light appears intended to show that you're beyond ON, by mimicking the "engine running and ready to drive" state of a non-hybrid.

Stan
Thanks for the clarification. You're a lot more observant than me. My definition:

Car moves when in gear and I give it gas - Car On

All other times - Car not On.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:36 AM
SPL

Just for the record, here's a zipped scan of the tag that was attached to my gearshift lever on delivery.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 11-23-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

I have that tag in the center console. When I take the car to a car wash or a valet, I place it back on the shifter.

hopefully they can read and not be as confused as the first car wash attendant I saw trying to start the car when i first got it.

Quick Reply: Q about On vs Accessory mode

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands