Question about upgrading the TCH speaker system

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Question about upgrading the TCH speaker system

I just got a TCH yesterday (I had to go about 140 miles away to get one) and pretty much love it. The ride is quiet comfortable and overall, pretty wonderful (I especially love the leather seats). On driving back on the highway, I was able to get a 41 mph average.

I do have a question about the speaker system though. I'm a real music enthusiast and care very much about the quality of the sound. I notice it sounds wonderful on orchestral type pieces but sounds a little muddled on rock tracks. Specifically the bass seems pretty ill-defined. If I crank it up, it sounds worse. It's not at all to the point that I don't like it, but my last car has a significantly upgraded setup, so the differences are pretty apparent.

My question is whether there is any information out there on upgrading the speaker system. As the stereo is pretty intimately tied to the nav system, I'm guessing there is no way to mess with that, but I would be interested in perhaps replacing a couple of the larger bass generating speakers.

Has anyone looked into this, or am I the only one nitpicking about the quality of the sound?

Last edited by sfam; 09-04-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about upgrading the TCH speaker system

Originally Posted by sfam
I just got a TCH yesterday (I had to go about 140 miles away to get one) and pretty much love it. The ride is quiet comfortable and overall, pretty wonderful (I especially love the leather seats). On driving back on the highway, I was able to get a 41 mph average.

I do have a question about the speaker system though. I'm a real music enthusiast and care very much about the quality of the sound. I notice it sounds wonderful on orchestral type pieces but sounds a little muddled on rock tracks. Specifically the bass seems pretty ill-defined. If I crank it up, it sounds worse. It's not at all to the point that I don't like it, but my last car has a significantly upgraded setup, so the differences are pretty apparent.

My question is whether there is any information out there on upgrading the speaker system. As the stereo is pretty intimately tied to the nav system, I'm guessing there is no way to mess with that, but I would be interested in perhaps replacing a couple of the larger bass generating speakers.

Has anyone looked into this, or am I the only one nitpicking about the quality of the sound?
My understanding is the doors and back deck speakers are 2 way 6x9 speakers in the back deck and 2 6x9 woofers in the doors, I would hope that means they woudl take any 6x9 of the correct impedance. Let us know how you fair, I love the JBL, and agree, their bass is going for the main stream listener that wants boom over clarity on the low end. I prefer clear booming bass myself. My TL had s decent 5.1 facotry system which had clear bass, but lacked punch.

http://www.jbltoyota.com/toyota_camr...advantages.asp

Last edited by kluken; 09-03-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Kluken,

I suppose the other option is to look at adding a subwoofer. I wonder if this is possible with this system. I checked out that link you gave, but it didn't have a lot of information. Perhaps these cars just haven't been out long enough to know.

Anyone know if the Prius have the same system in it?

Last edited by sfam; 09-04-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by sfam
Hi Kluken,

I suppose the other option is to look at adding a subwoofer. I wonder if this is possible with this system. I checked out that link you gave, but it didn't have a lot of information. Perhaps these cars just haven't been out long enough to know.

Anyone know if the Prius have the same system in it?
That same site you can switch vehicles and see the JBL system in any Toyota. Adding a sub to these woudl proabbly be difficult witht he batter pack behind the seat and limited space for the pass through, in adiditona to the battery vent in the rear deck. I looked over Crutchfield's inventory and noticed they list several 5.25 and 6.5 inch speaker, funny I must be dating myself when 6x9 speakers were more common place. I don;t see why you couldn't swap out the 4 6x9 speakers with 6.5 or 5.25 inche 2 ways all around. I too appreciate good clean music, but I guess I gave up expecting that level as I have at home ina car, so I just look for decent clean sound with decent punch, the JBL delivers that, just muddies the low end a bit. My TL was awesom with DTS or DVD-A sources, it was clean and rich, just lacked punch at any real volumes.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I got a 10 in my trunk with its own amp.

Only issue I have is when you turn the volume up you must adjust the base as well, when turning the volume down you must adjust the base down as well.

I want 2 10's but that would give me almost no room in the trunk for vacations or whatever. 1 10 seems to be good for the most part.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by cohort
I got a 10 in my trunk with its own amp.

Only issue I have is when you turn the volume up you must adjust the base as well, when turning the volume down you must adjust the base down as well.

I want 2 10's but that would give me almost no room in the trunk for vacations or whatever. 1 10 seems to be good for the most part.
Pictures please, how did you place it?

Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
Pictures please, how did you place it?
OK, watching Florida State VS Miami right now but I'll get on it tomorrow.

1 Speaker box sideways next to the battery held down by velcro so if I need to move it, it comes right up but doesn't move when driving

Last edited by cohort; 09-04-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cohort
OK, watching Florida State VS Miami right now but I'll get on it tomorrow.

1 Speaker box sideways next to the battery held down by velcro so if I need to move it, it comes right up but doesn't move when driving
How did you go about linking it up to the stereo system?

Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Picture006Small.jpg
Picture005Small.jpg

I went to BEST BUY and they had all the parts and wires, I don't mess with that stuff but it did take a bit longer than normal setups they said. I do know they connected it straight to the JBL/Toytoa radio with out by-passing it.

It's just a speaker and a box, sounds really good for in the car use. If you want to shake the chick in the car next to you, it wont.

EDITED: I used the real heavy duty VELCRO to hold it down, only a few bucks at Wal Mart.

Last edited by cohort; 09-04-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

LOL, and my wife tells me that I listen to the factory stereo too loud!

Now I don’t feel like such an outcast here since I drive my TCH like a regular car.

Just wait until the trunk space phobs get on you for using up all that limited trunk space! (Just kidding) and have fun.

Quick Reply: Question about upgrading the TCH speaker system

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands