Radio Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Radio Installation Question

I am going to be installing satellite radio this weekend and am wondering if anyone has the Toyota Sirius installation instructions. The cables that some with the 3rd party components aren't that long don't come with detailed under dash instructions. I am wondering if there are any mout points in dash once the radio is removed? Specific parts are the Directed Electronics Toy-SC1 and Sirius SCC1

If you happen to have Toyota instructions/Tech manual I would be truly greatful.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Radio Installation Question

When I installed my Toyota XM unit, I was able to go to the Service desk of a local dealership and ask about it. They printed it out for me at no cost, it was about 11 pages detailing exactly where to put it and how. I've always found that a polite demeanor and a good attitude can work wonders. The recommended placement of the Factory units is in the trunk, with the antenna on the rear deck, and a cable running to the head unit along the right side of the car. The instructions detailed how to remove each piece of trim or upholstery to to the job.

This is for the Factory Unit, so Your Mileage May Vary (pun NOT intended) with another type of unit.

In any case: Best of Luck in the endeavor. And above all, Be Careful.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks,

My Antenna cable is long enough to run to the head unit, but the actual cables for the 2 components are pretty short, about 1 foot each. I will see if I can get to the desk tomorrow morning and see what they have available.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am sorry, I had assumed that you had a factory type kit for your unit. If you only have a foot or so of cable, you will have to get ;creative' with your installation. What type of unit do you have? Are you aware that the antenna for the satellite radio is NOT the same as the 'regular' radio? It usually is a magnetic mountable square about 2 inches square that needs to have a fairly clear view of the Southern sky for best reception. The 'factory' kits, and some others, have the capability of being controlled by the head unit and steering wheel controls. This requires data wires in the cable between the head unit and receiver, going to a specific jack on the back of the head unit.

One other thing, in order to take apart the trim to get to the back of the head, you should get an installers' tool. This basically looks like a throwing knife made out of plastic, so you can get to the catches in the seams to release them. I ordered mine online, but you may be able to find one locally at a large auto parts store or a car stereo shop, if you're lucky.

I hope some of this is of some small help in your upcoming adventure. ;-)

Old 05-31-2008, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

I am familiar with Satellite (Sirius Lifetime Subscriber, 5 years now). I was hoping that someone might have used the 2 parts that I have before on their Camry, hybrid or not. I also have the parts needed to do the fascia/dash disassembly from taking my older parts from my Tacoma when I traded it . We will see what happens this afternoon.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

The install was completed today with no problems. Scrolling feature works well, sounds is great, better than previous truck with FM modulator. Steering controls are perfect as well. Couldn't be happier with the 2 pieces. The cable for the ToySC1 as longer than it seemed in the bag, so I was able to connect it to the stereo and run it along the center console and place the 2 units under the drivers seat velcroed to the carpet. The antenna will be run under the trim pieces on the drivers side, through the trunk, around the window seal and come out on top in the center of the windshield. I have seen some shark fin installations on some other forums, don't think I will do that route though.