Rattle in the overhead console?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Rattle in the overhead console?

Has anyone noticed any slight rattling from the overhead console? I am not sure it is up there yet, but I suspect it is from the area of the plastic console insert that contains the maplights, sunglass holder, and Homelink controls. The entire assembly seems a bit loose. I am tempted to try taking the assembly out and see if I can tighten things up.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattle in the overhead console?

Yes jeff, Mine rattles also, never rattled until they had it out to repair the hail damage. now it is loose i can hold it up tight and is quiet, I will remove it and insulate it.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes...I've had the same problem. I think there are two problems.

1. The sunglass holder door rattles. Push it up hard and the rattle will go away (at least in my TCH it did. I ended up putting a bit of paper on either side of the latch to push it closer together.

2. The second rattle seems to come from the entire console. I have not looked at a way to fix this, but I'm hoping there is one screw that will tighten the whole thing.

Byron

Old 10-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Enthusiast

Mine rattles also. It does seem to come from the sunglass holder or somewhere under the roof liner. Maybe it's around the sunroof. I will be grateful for more info if someone can isolate the noise. Please post pictures if you fix it.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, rattle, I braintricked myself into thinking it was my sunglasses up there.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:40 AM

Mine initially rattled, but that stopped after I had the car a couple weeks, I'm guessing that all the pieces of the overhead console finally settled into place.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have also expericened this. Just got the console squeek fixed, now looking to tackle this one. As soon as I figure how to take it apart, I will try it myself. I hate going to the dealership blind, if anybody has a fix I will try it myself or take it to them if it is to complicated, until then I will put up with it. It took the dealer 2 years to fix a rattle coming from the horn pad on my 2004 Sienna.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:14 PM

I have taken mine apart, and got rid of part of the rattle...

Actually, the rattle that I was able to fix didn't require removing the console. I stacked a couple of my felt pad adhesive to adhesive, and wedged it between the inside surface of the sunglass holder and the housing for the latch. This is not in the area where the cover interfaces, but above this in the assembly. The entire latch portion that is attached to the fixed part of the console (not the part that rotates with the sunglass holder) is loose and wiggles around very easily.

I don't have pictures of this, but I might be able to take some if it isn't clear. Just reach up inside the assembly when the compartment is open, and you should be able to feel the latch housing and how loose it is. The pads stop this movement, and got rid of the louder portion of the rattle.

Now the noise is quieter, but I can't get rid of the last bit of rattle. It seems to be related to the looseness of the console's fit into the headliner, or it might be more of a creak that happens when the console flexes. I will have to keep trying...

To get the console out, I slid a thin plastic strip in between the front edge (windshield side) of the console and the headliner to open up a gap. I then pulled each front corner straight down until the clips that hold it to the metal part of the roof popped out. (These are pretty tight - so be careful). Once these clips are popped loose, you might have to use that thin plastic piece and slide it up and dislodge the two hooks that retain the console in the headliner. These aren't nearly as stiff as the other ones.

Proceed at your own risk!

Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I tried to felt, I believe in the spot you described between the latch and the housing. It did not work for me, I just stuffed more felt in there. Will drive it later. I did do some testing it rattles open or closed. It appears to be a loose, loud rattle. Does this sould like the one you have?

Josh

Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 AM

I actually put some felt in several places after I removed the console...

I put some felt (a fairly thick piece) between the metal bracket that ***** across the opening in the headliner and the white plastic wiring connector immediately above it. This seemed to make that bracket more rigid by flexing it a bit (downward).

I also put some on the black standoffs that rest on the upper surface of the headliner when it is installed. These are the ones on the BACK of the console nearest the lights. I thought that the felt would cause the console to fit more tightly, since it was loose at this edge (free up/down play). It does seem tighter.

My rattle now seems more like a creak than a loose rattle. The loose rattle went away when I tightened up the sunglass case latch.

I might try to investigate the area around the points where the console clips into the holes in the metal mounting bracket next.