Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

I did a search and didn't find many threads on rattles, so I thought I'd start this one.

There's already a long thread on the squeaks from the center console (by the shifter) which is quite extensive including solutions.

I have rattles coming from both front doors, passenger worse than the driver's side. It goes away if I lower the window a hair, so it must have something to do with the power window mechanism. I will be having the dealer check this one.

I also have a rattle coming from inside the dashboard. It's a sharp sound expecially when hitting expansion joints.

If anyone has these rattle or others and has found the source I'm sure we'd all appreciate them. Dealers are really bad at finding and fixing rattles (Most of the time they don't believe me when I tell them! )

tom

Old 11-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Malcontent
Default Re: Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

I may have the same dash rattle as you. Technically, my dash rattle isn't a rattle because it's a single sound per bump with no vibration. It seems to be more on the driver's side and can be described as more of a clack. Pressing down on the dash seems to help as does messing with the defroster garnish but I haven't narrowed it down completely yet.

There's a true rattle in the roof and/or rear of the car. That one is harder to narrow down since I can't reach anything back there while driving. Fortunately, it doesn't happen as often as the dash rattle. I don't have a sunroof.

Last edited by Squint; 11-21-2006 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Camry Hybrid Owner

I have the dash "clack" and the drivers side window "tapping" noise.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with you. The dash "rattle" is a "clack" when hitting sharp bumps in the road. It's getting more and more annoying. I'm going to see if the dealer has any idea of what it might be- these aren't isolated incidents. It seems like quite a number of people have them.

Interestingly, my passenger and drivers window rattles seem to have subsided with the colder weather here.

I haven't noticed any rattles/noises from the back of the car yet. Maybe I'm too focused on the dashboard noise to notice.

tom

Old 11-23-2006, 06:06 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by TSYTCH
Interestingly, my passenger and drivers window rattles seem to have subsided with the colder weather here.
tom
This is sort of odd in that (in my experience) rattles increase and appear more in the colder weather - probably to plastic / rubber becoming less flexible etc..

No rattles in mine just yet - I do have the very faint and high pitched squeek in the console but really don't fret over it much as I don't want to make matters worse by trying to pull it all apart..

Old 11-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Malcontent

So after several weeks of consistent dash clack, I called a dealer Tuesday and made an appointment for Friday to have the noises looked at. On the way home Tuesday, the dash clack went away and wouldn't come back.

We're having some warm weather right now so it could be that or it could be that I made it go away temporarily with all the poking and prodding I've been doing. I pulled out the defroster garnish for a few trips to see if that made the sound go away. The results of that experiment were inconclusive. The other thing I did was push down fairly hard on all parts of the dash on the driver's side.

We'll see if the noise returns with the cold weather.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TSYTCH
I did a search and didn't find many threads on rattles, so I thought I'd start this one.

There's already a long thread on the squeaks from the center console (by the shifter) which is quite extensive including solutions.

I have rattles coming from both front doors, passenger worse than the driver's side. It goes away if I lower the window a hair, so it must have something to do with the power window mechanism. I will be having the dealer check this one.

I also have a rattle coming from inside the dashboard. It's a sharp sound expecially when hitting expansion joints.

If anyone has these rattle or others and has found the source I'm sure we'd all appreciate them. Dealers are really bad at finding and fixing rattles (Most of the time they don't believe me when I tell them! )

tom
I have not noticed the dash nocie, but the passenger door has a buzz/rattle most noticable with heavy bass in audio system. I also hear some buzzing coming from the B pillar or smewhere in the that area, mostly from heavy bass, but some bumps casue it. The back deck rattles/buzzes under high bass worse than any car I have owned to date (and my 04 TL I eventually had screwed down) but I have fixed most by jamming some rubber bumpers back there, but really need to pull the back seats to remove the back deck and better pad and secure it. I shoudl have learned that year one cars have issues. I think best value is the mid life refresh, refreshed cosmetics and most quirks under control and 2 years still left on the body style.

Last edited by kluken; 11-26-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got a rattle in the drivers side B pillar that is driving me nuts. Its most noticeable when driving on rough roads with heavy bass playing. When not moving it is less prominent, but is still definately there.

I've tried moving the seatbelt anchor up and down and there seems to be no impact on the noise.

I did mention it to my dealer at my first service, but was told to make another appointment as they did not have time to rip it all apart and also did not have any parts.

Has anyone else had any luck getting a simular noise fixed?

One other noise I did have was a slight clicking when the steering wheel was jiggled. The dealer replaced the clock spring and the noise has not returned.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I figure the cold air may make the struts ride a little stiffer. That could make a noise to show up. I drive 2 miles on a tar and gravel road between the highway and home. The road is plenty rough. No noises till last night. The temperature about that time was 35 degrees. The center area of the dash developed a noise that did not go away till I slowed to turn in the driveway.

We stayed home today due to blowing dust and high winds. Tomorrow I will give it another try. Being dark it was hard to see various places to place my hand to try to locate the noise. It sounded like in or above the radio area.

Last edited by rburt07; 02-05-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beng
I've got a rattle in the drivers side B pillar that is driving me nuts. Its most noticeable when driving on rough roads with heavy bass playing. When not moving it is less prominent, but is still definately there.

I've tried moving the seatbelt anchor up and down and there seems to be no impact on the noise.

I did mention it to my dealer at my first service, but was told to make another appointment as they did not have time to rip it all apart and also did not have any parts.
I think I have the same problem although it may be lower in the pillar or even somewhere in the door near the pillar. Usually it's not too bad but some songs have bass that hits the resonant frequency and it sounds awful.

If you get it fixed, can you find out what they did and report back?

Quick Reply: Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands