Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/rear-turn-signal-bulbs-led-replacements-20029/)

mikieboyblue 10-11-2008 02:00 PM

Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Hi folks,

My driver side rear turn signal bulb went out (after merely 1.5 years of ownership) and I have been unable to find a replacement in the local auto parts stores.

After searching the Web for WY21W (sequence printed on the bulb), I have been able to find one dealer selling such a bulb: http://store.candlepower.com/74amw.html

So, needles to say, I say "Thank you Toyota for choosing a bulb that appears to not exist and is $8!"

This led me to try LEDs in hopes that they would last much longer. I found the following: http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/7443.htm

These installed with a slight modification to the base, however, I cannot tell if they are as bright as the old bulbs as there is still day light.

More so, since they draw less power, the car believes they are burnt out. To correct this I'd need a load resistor. Anyone know what kind and how to install such a resistor?

Also does anyone have any other suggestions for different LEDs? I think the ones I bough should do. I'll do a compare tonight.

Thanks,
Mike

haroldo 10-11-2008 02:15 PM

Re: Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

sounds like $8 is the threshold for aggravation.
gas prices are plummeting, you'll save $8 on your next fill up
it'll be a push

mikieboyblue 10-11-2008 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 188950)
sounds like $8 is the threshold for aggravation.
gas prices are plummeting, you'll save $8 on your next fill up
it'll be a push

Well, you have to put price in perspective. Eight bucks for a tiny filament based light bulb is rough. I can get a eight 100 watt bulbs for that price from Walmart.

My bigger concern is the inability to locate a replacement.

mikieboyblue 10-11-2008 05:35 PM

As one can see from the photos below, the LED bulb is not quite as bright or does not quite fill the entire reflective area.

Left LED, right standard.
Left and right LED.

mikieboyblue 10-11-2008 05:53 PM

Update: Found another place that sells the standard bulbs for $2 and they also sell a bunch of LEDs that should be much brighter....

http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

haroldo 10-11-2008 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 188954)
My bigger concern is the inability to locate a replacement.

Wouldn't Pep Boys, Toyota, etc. stock them?

mikieboyblue 10-11-2008 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 188958)
Wouldn't Pep Boys, Toyota, etc. stock them?

I checked the local stores (Napa, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts). I couldn't find an correct type amber one. Haven't had a chance to call Toyota dealer yet.

But, I am interested in replacing them with LEDs. Possibly the front as well.

tharvey 10-11-2008 07:03 PM

thanks for taking the time to research and post your findings, I was wondering what is the kelvin difference between the 3 watt and the 3x1 watt.

I have a daytime running module from web electric to replace the standard daytime running lights and all I need now is the right bulbs and instructions on how to disable the standard canadian daytime running lights to be replaced with this combo.

mikieboyblue 10-11-2008 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by tharvey (Post 188965)
thanks for taking the time to research and post your findings, I was wondering what is the kelvin difference between the 3 watt and the 3x1 watt.

I have a daytime running module from web electric to replace the standard daytime running lights and all I need now is the right bulbs and instructions on how to disable the standard canadian daytime running lights to be replaced with this combo.

What are you planning on replacing the DRLs with? LEDs?

mikieboyblue 10-11-2008 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 188956)
Update: Found another place that sells the standard bulbs for $2 and they also sell a bunch of LEDs that should be much brighter....

http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

I have confirmed they have the cheapest so far discovered stock bulbs. About two dollars a piece plus about four dollars shipping. They confirmed their stock bulbs match the wattage of the factory bulbs. One difference is that they are painted glass verse the factory bulbs are colored glass.

tharvey 10-11-2008 08:32 PM

in the canadian model the drl's are the high beam at 50/60 percent power which consume about 72 wats when the engine is on. I was planning on disabling the drl's and using the web-electric kit changing my turn signals into drl's. to properly do this I need high wattage but lower power led's. I have done this on other cars where running the standard dual turn/marker bulb has caused heat issues, and actually distorted the lamp housing assembly.

I now need high luminance output bulbs which operate in led mode to replace the factory turn signals. I see there are 3 watt bulbs, however I have received info on 5 watt single led bulbs which will eliminate the "bulb out" warning from the dash.

mikieboyblue 10-11-2008 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by tharvey (Post 188970)
in the canadian model the drl's are the high beam at 50/60 percent power which consume about 72 wats when the engine is on. I was planning on disabling the drl's and using the web-electric kit changing my turn signals into drl's. to properly do this I need high wattage but lower power led's. I have done this on other cars where running the standard dual turn/marker bulb has caused heat issues, and actually distorted the lamp housing assembly.

I now need high luminance output bulbs which operate in led mode to replace the factory turn signals. I see there are 3 watt bulbs, however I have received info on 5 watt single led bulbs which will eliminate the "bulb out" warning from the dash.

Yes, the DRL setup is the same for the US models.

You'll need a load leveling resistor just as I will. It depend on the wattage the system is expending. See http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm for ideas. They are called "load equalizers" on that page and are in the third row.

I don't know if there are any LED bulbs that will output that much light. You might have to build your own with a few 5w LEDs. You could even build one that changes color. That is, if the turn signal is on it is flashing amber, other wise, it is solid white. (Autolumination has a similar bulb but I doubt it is bring enough...)

Could you post the link to the web-electric kit?

Thanks,
Mike

haroldo 10-12-2008 01:25 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I noticed some cars that had a string of LED brake lights (4 or 5 in a row) actually bothered my eyesight. Not sure how to describe it, but at night when the car in front put on it's brakes, the piercing nature of the lights 'burned' in my vision for a second or two creating an optical distortion, like my eyes remembered the red lights even when I looked elsewhere. (Like the 'burned in' effect that computer monitors used to get).
Again, I'm not sure how to describe this, and I know it sounds crazy, but I prefer seeing regular bulbs instead of LED brake lights. It's not a comfortable light to look at.

wwest 10-12-2008 09:48 AM

Superbrightleds and autolumination are the same company.

Try Velocity LEDs, V-LEDs, in ebay.

I replaced the european 5 watt halogen DRL bulbs with LEDs from lumileds.

On my cars I located the bulb failure sensor module and changed the current sensing resistor to a higher value so the LED bulbs satify the requirement.

mikieboyblue 10-12-2008 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 189004)
Superbrightleds and autolumination are the same company.

Try Velocity LEDs, V-LEDs, in ebay.

I replaced the european 5 watt halogen DRL bulbs with LEDs from lumileds.

On my cars I located the bulb failure sensor module and changed the current sensing resistor to a higher value so the LED bulbs satify the requirement.

Funny that if those two companies are the same, they do not carry the same products...not at all.

Scooters 10-13-2008 06:49 PM

I'm thinkin that I'd just stick with the OEM replacement from the Toyota dealer.

I normally don't hesitate to mess with stuff, but the TCH is so full of technology, I'm afraid that I'd mess something up that cost a whole lot more than a lightbulb.

wwest 10-14-2008 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 188986)
Maybe it's just me, but I noticed some cars that had a string of LED brake lights (4 or 5 in a row) actually bothered my eyesight. Not sure how to describe it, but at night when the car in front put on it's brakes, the piercing nature of the lights 'burned' in my vision for a second or two creating an optical distortion, like my eyes remembered the red lights even when I looked elsewhere. (Like the 'burned in' effect that computer monitors used to get).
Again, I'm not sure how to describe this, and I know it sounds crazy, but I prefer seeing regular bulbs instead of LED brake lights. It's not a comfortable light to look at.

You are correct, IMMHO, many of the newer OEM LED lights, in braking mode, or FAR TOO BRIGHT. What is probably needed is a ruling that the brightness level should be automatically reduced once the vehicle comes to a full stop.

Or even a different method of attention getting, getting the attention of the rear oncoming driver that the brakes are in use, or even some way to indicate that the brakes are in EXTREMELY heavy USE.

The high mount brake light is/was a good start.

But how about a way to notify the rear oncoming driver that the brakes are being used so severely, or the roadbed is so slippery, that ABS has activated...??

mikieboyblue 10-14-2008 07:20 PM

Well, I am putting this LED thing on hold for now. It shall be pending more free time.

As a side, the bulb from my Toyota dealer is about $7.50. However, the part department said it is covered under the new car warranty and I am picking put the bulb tomorrow.

dcemureviews 11-04-2008 10:54 AM

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...de/default.htm

2007-2009 TOYOTA Camry

Low beam headlamp
H11-55W

High beam headlamp
9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light
3457ALL
3457AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Front turn signal
3457ALL
3457AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Rear turn signal
992 (7440A)

Tail light
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light
H11-55W

License plate
2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

Rear sidemarker

Glove box

Map light

Dome light
DE3175

Step/Courtesy light
168LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Trunk/Cargo area
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

If using LEDs for turn signals, you'll need load resistor (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...26.3549&next=0). You'll need "RL-650 Tail Light Load Resistor kit" and LED bulbs.

Autolumination and SuperBrightLEDs are two different companies. They are located in different states, charge different prices and carry different products.

I have LED taillights. Its the same brightness that you'll find on Camry Hybrid, Acura or any other cars

mikieboyblue 11-04-2008 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by dcemureviews (Post 190502)
[If using LEDs for turn signals, you'll need load resistor (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...26.3549&next=0). You'll need "RL-650 Tail Light Load Resistor kit" and LED bulbs.

Or replace the flasher which appears to be located directly behind the dash cluster. When I feel like spending $50 on two bulbs and a flasher I'll do the job and write up a DIY.

dcemureviews 11-04-2008 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 190508)
Or replace the flasher which appears to be located directly behind the dash cluster. When I feel like spending $50 on two bulbs and a flasher I'll do the job and write up a DIY.

I wouldnt even spend $50. Get $5 LED bulbs and two resistor kits for $5 each and be done. The resistor kits splices the wires for you. All you do is plug in the LED bulb into the socket, splce the wire with the clip that comes with the resistor kit and done.

$50 for bulbs? Outrageous. Not to mention getting to the back of the dash? No thanks.

mikieboyblue 11-05-2008 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by dcemureviews (Post 190511)
I wouldnt even spend $50. Get $5 LED bulbs and two resistor kits for $5 each and be done. The resistor kits splices the wires for you. All you do is plug in the LED bulb into the socket, splce the wire with the clip that comes with the resistor kit and done.

$50 for bulbs? Outrageous. Not to mention getting to the back of the dash? No thanks.

The brightest LED turn signal bulbs I have found thus far are $24.99 (see below). There are similar LED bulbs on eBay, however, I have personally had a bad experience with "no name" LED bulbs. I tried SuperBrightLEDs' 15 LED 7440/43 bulb and they were not bright enough for daylight driving (in my opinion). If you know of a supplier whom sell LED bulbs that are just as bright or brighter than the stock incandescent 21w bulb, please provide a reference.

Concerning the load resistors, yes, you can use that method. However, if you want to reduce power draw (the point of LEDs), it is my understanding that you cannot achieve this with a load resistor as it will "consume" the power. In addition, using a load resistor will permanently "damage" your stock wiring.

Gaining access to the flasher is not overly complicated. If you replace the flasher you do not do any harm to your existing wiring and in the event something goes wrong, you could return the vehicle to it's original state without evidence of anything to the contrary.

If you have the time, the forum would benefit from a DIY of your experience with using load resistors.

Mike

From Autolumination:

Eagle Eye Tower
11 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS. The most powerful 7443 led bulbs made
10x high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 1x 3 watt luxeon super high powered forward facing LEDS
Only 20mm diameter x 52mm overall - fits all stock housings

dcemureviews 11-05-2008 07:46 AM

I havent done the load resistors yet. I just had a car meet on Saturday and someone did the load resistor. Didnt seem like there was any problems. I however dont like splicing factory wires.

If you do it from the dash cluster, I am interested in viewing a DIY. I prefer not voiding warranty or damaging factory wires.

Keep us/me updated on the lights.

ruc2827 12-09-2008 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 190550)
The brightest LED turn signal bulbs I have found thus far are $24.99 (see below). There are similar LED bulbs on eBay, however, I have personally had a bad experience with "no name" LED bulbs. I tried SuperBrightLEDs' 15 LED 7440/43 bulb and they were not bright enough for daylight driving (in my opinion). If you know of a supplier whom sell LED bulbs that are just as bright or brighter than the stock incandescent 21w bulb, please provide a reference.

Concerning the load resistors, yes, you can use that method. However, if you want to reduce power draw (the point of LEDs), it is my understanding that you cannot achieve this with a load resistor as it will "consume" the power. In addition, using a load resistor will permanently "damage" your stock wiring.

Gaining access to the flasher is not overly complicated. If you replace the flasher you do not do any harm to your existing wiring and in the event something goes wrong, you could return the vehicle to it's original state without evidence of anything to the contrary.

If you have the time, the forum would benefit from a DIY of your experience with using load resistors.

Mike

Anyone try the V-LED (http://www.v-leds.com/) 5W 921 (backup) or 3457 (front turn signal) bulbs? These look like the brightest (lumens) out there, plus the fact that they are 5W I'm guessing they don't require a resistor, yet are still significantly under the original wattage. Also, another quesiton -- anyone know if the 3457 and 921 bulbs are SACK type (single ground vs dual ground -- see http://autolumination.com/conversion.html)? Camry is not listed on that site, but just checking before I order $100 worth of LEDs.

wwest 12-10-2008 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 190550)

Concerning the load resistors, yes, you can use that method. However, if you want to reduce power draw (the point of LEDs)

No, LEDs have two advantageous aspects, INSTANT ON, and extreme reliability vs incandescent filaments.

, it is my understanding that you cannot achieve this with a load resistor as it will "consume" the power.

Agreed, but using resistors might be the easiest way to "fix" the flasher relay timing and/or bulb failure detection/indication.

In addition, using a load resistor will permanently "damage" your stock wiring.

Not bloody likely....Using the resistor(s) simply returns the electric current load factor, wattage, to something close, lower typically, than that of the incandescent bulb(s) you are replacing.

But great care must be excersized in replacing the flasher relay. First, you want to be sure and get a new SOLID STATE flasher. There are flasher relays on the aftermarket that will DAMAGE your wiring if you replace the fuse it blows repetitively.

Additionally many of the desireable solid state flasher relay now have a bulb failure detection circuit the will trigger a "FAST FLASH" (just like the old style) to alert you that a turn signal bulb has failed. If you don't have the expertise to open the solid state flasher and change the load sensing resistor to a value that is correct for the new, lower, LED bulb current load then the external resistor used to simulate the original incandescent buld current loading is the only option.

Complicated...

Many new vehicles come equipped with solid state flasher AND tail/stop light bulb failure detection. On my '01 RX300 I not only had to open up the solid state flasher relay and empirically determine (trial and error) the correct resistance for replacing the load sensing resistor, I had to do the same for three bulb failure detection circuits.

Not simple...

Unlike dual filament incandescent bulbs the tail light circuit/section of a LED bulb does not continue to draw current with the stop light circuit/section powered, illuminated. So I had to come up with a separate transistorized circuit to simulate the current draw of the LED bulb's tail light circuit/section when the bulb's stop light circuit/section was powered.

Mike

From Autolumination:
Eagle Eye Tower
11 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS. The most powerful (maybe so but the extraordinary extra cost doesn't justify...) 7443 led bulbs made
10x high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 1x 3 watt luxeon super high powered forward facing LEDS
Only 20mm diameter x 52mm overall - fits all stock housings

I have found that dollar for dollar V-LED bulbs, ebay.com or V-LEDS.com, are significantly brighter than those from autolumination. Regretably I just recently had to learn that yet again ordering from autolumination and comparing 7443 bulbs with those from V-LED.

ruc2827 12-10-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 193237)
I have found that dollar for dollar V-LED bulbs, ebay.com or V-LEDS.com, are significantly brighter than those from autolumination. Regretably I just recently had to learn that yet again ordering from autolumination and comparing 7443 bulbs with those from V-LED.

Are you using their 5W front and 3W rear turn signal LEDs, and do they require a resistor to avoid fast flashing? I assume not since they are higher power (yet still a combined 44W and 36W savings for front parking lights/signals and rear turn signals respectively). Also, can you confirm whether the original bulb you replaced had 3 wires or 4 wires on the wedge base (3 corresponds to SACK type wiring configuration vs regular configuration). Thanks.

wwest 12-10-2008 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by ruc2827 (Post 193239)
Are you using their 5W front and 3W rear turn signal LEDs, and do they require a resistor to avoid fast flashing? I assume not since they are higher power (yet still a combined 44W and 36W savings for front parking lights/signals and rear turn signals respectively). Also, can you confirm whether the original bulb you replaced had three wires or 4 wires on the wedge base (correesponding to two vs one ground which coresponds to SWAK vs regular base). Thanks.

The tail/stop LED bulbs draw 0.225 amps in high/stop mode and 0.070 amps in low/tail mode. 4 wires on the base but two are connected together inside so correct polarity must be observed.

ruc2827 12-12-2008 07:21 PM

Great, those are 3W, which is the brightest ones I've found for the 922 size bulb, and the ones I'm considering for the rear turn signals. V-LED also has a 5W for the 3457 front parking light/turn signal, which is what I'm considering. So, I'm assuming no resistor is needed to prevent fast flashing since you didn't mention any. Thanks for confirming it is 4 pins.

wwest 12-13-2008 08:48 AM

I didn't use LOAD resistors, I used low wattage resistors of empirically determined resistance values to modify the current flow level detection circuit internally to the solid state flasher relay, and separately in the Lexus bulb failure detection module.

In other words I "reprogammed" the flasher relay so it would go into fast flash mode if, instead of >0.400 amps of current flow, it got <0.300 amps of current flow.

dcemureviews 05-15-2009 09:01 AM

Bringing this back. How easy is it to get the the turn signal flasher inside the dash?

http://i41.tinypic.com/nohxfr.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/20h82vk.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/15pmhsi.png
http://i42.tinypic.com/15qp9bn.png

Can I just remove the instrument panel or do I have to remove the dashboard? Which one does our Camry use?

tharvey 05-15-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by dcemureviews (Post 203169)
Bringing this back. How easy is it to get the the turn signal flasher inside the dash?

http://i41.tinypic.com/nohxfr.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/20h82vk.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/15pmhsi.png
http://i42.tinypic.com/15qp9bn.png

Can I just remove the instrument panel or do I have to remove the dashboard? Which one does our Camry use?

I just purchased new front and rear led which flash excessively fast until I replace the turn signal flasher with a electronic model. I would appreciate if anyone could advise me on how to get at this turn signal assembly

Thanking anyone in advance

Tim

tharvey 05-15-2009 05:42 PM

I just finished crawling inside the vehicle. the flasher is reachable with a lot of effort as described in the picture.

You have to turn the vehicle on with the turn signal operating and feel for the flasher. It has a tab which you push in and pull the connector off. It is virtually impossible to see.

Once off it is a 9 pin custom flasher that flashes both the turn signals and the 4 way flasher. I disassembled it and noted 2 separate relays and a small electronic board, it does not appear you can adjust anything.

So now I am stuck cannot switch, no adjustment and I do not want to add a load resistor.

Anyone have any ideas

Tim

Booster 05-15-2009 08:02 PM

Try v-leds.com, they have electronic flasher it will fix the flash problem. It should be a direct replacement.

http://v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix...-p4481146.html

tharvey 05-21-2009 07:07 PM

just received the led flasher from superbrightleds.com. Other then ripping my hands apart to get out old flasher and install new flasher everything went well.

I installed 3 watt single led in rear turn signals and dual 3 watt leds in front turn signals which double as marker lights.

to install the front bulbs you remove the 2 liner clips from the front wheel well and pull away the liner to get access to the turn signal bulbs.

I went from 4 times 37 watt bulbs with hazard lights on, to 4 times 3 watt bulbs or from 148 watt consumption in emergency mode to about 12 watts.

from a safety point of view the battery has around 50 usable amps before going into drain mode. This means with the old bulbs I could run my hazard lights for about 4 hours before severely draining the battery, to now about a little over 2 days with the led bulbs.

I am going to install 2 relays to deactivate the drl's and replace them with an electric web drl module which will use the new led's as drl's. This will reduce my idle consumption when waiting in border lines from 72 watts to a little under 6 watts, subsequently I should have the engine starting less when stopped.

dcemureviews 05-23-2009 11:46 AM

I did this yesterday. Here is my DIY with pictures.

Got my Electronic LED Flasher for my LED turn signals and decided to do a DIY since it seemed fairly easy and I had a half day giving me enough daylight out in case I run into a snag.

Tools needed for DIY:
  1. Fingers/hands
  2. Philips Screwdriver
  3. Flathead Screwdriver
  4. 10mm Ratchet Wrench
Total time of DIY: approximately 1-2 hours

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

1. Like the DIY for the LED Glove Box, there is a 10mm bolt (left side) and a screw (right side). You'll need to move the cover out of the way to access the bolt. So you'll need a 10mm ratchet wrench and philips screwdriver for the screw.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge1.jpg http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge2.jpg

2. Now that the screw and bolt is removed, pull on the bottom panel until all clips are dislodged. The cable for the hood will prevent you from removing it from the car. You can probably unclip the cable or something but I left it on there.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge3.jpg

3. Once the bottom panel is off, you can remove the two panels to the side of the steering wheel. Both are held in by clips. There are no screws. Just pull them out and place them out of the way.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge4.jpg http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge5.jpg

4. Now we get to the instrument panel. There are two clips at the top of the panel.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge6.jpg

5. Push the middle in with a screwdriver or something thin. Than take a flathead screwdriver or your fingernails and pull it out.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge7.jpg http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge8.jpg

6. Once the pins are removed, you can remove the instrument panel cover. Just pull it out and place it out of the way.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...th_gauge10.jpg

7. The instrument cluster should now be visible. There are four screws; 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. Just use your philips screwdriver and remove them. Try not to drop them. I dont know where they would end up if it drops.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...th_gauge11.jpg http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...th_gauge15.jpg

8. There is no need to unplug the instrument cluster. Just move the instrument cluster to the right side (radio) so that its out of the way. This is where it took the longest for me. On the left side, you'll see the DENSO flasher module.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...th_gauge12.jpg

9. First unplug the cable. Either use your fingers to squeeze the tab (you'll have to do it blind and feel for it). I used a flathead to help me as the tab was too small for my fingers and I couldnt get a good grip (module is from electronic LED flasher and for reference on where the tab is located).
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...th_gauge14.jpg

10. The flasher module is held in place by a white clip of some sort. I had problems trying to remove the flasher module and ended up breaking a tab at the bottom of the flasher module (see electronic flasher module above - since it looks like a "M", the part that broke off was the middle).
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...th_gauge13.jpg

11. Once you swapped the flasher module with the electronic LED flasher module, plug the cable into the electronic LED flasher. Before you put everything back, place a LED bulb into one of the rear turn signals (if you havent done so) and make sure everything works by inserting key into ignition and using the turn signal. You dont want to put everything back only to find out something is wrong and you have to take it all apart again. Once you have confirmed that it works, put the flasher back onto the clip. Now that everything is good, put everything back in reverse order.

12. As for the clip from the instrument panel cover, since the center was pushed in for removal, you'll have to push the pin out for when you are inserting it back after everything is done.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../th_gauge9.jpg

End result, fully functional LED turn signals without splicing/tapping into factory wires. Even if you were to change back to regular filament bulbs, the electronic LED flasher will work with it as well. When you unlock/lock your doors, the parking lights will flash for confirmation. The ONLY thing that does not work is hazard lights with NO key. Hazard lights ONLY work if the key is turned to ON (right before you turn to ignition) or if the car is running. That is the only time the hazard will come on.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...gauge_led1.jpg http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...gauge_led2.jpg

To gain access to the parking light bulbs, you'll have to go through the wheel well. No way to get to them through the engine bay.

Video to come.

dcemureviews 05-23-2009 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by tharvey (Post 203513)
just received the led flasher from superbrightleds.com. Other then ripping my hands apart to get out old flasher and install new flasher everything went well.

I installed 3 watt single led in rear turn signals and dual 3 watt leds in front turn signals which double as marker lights.

to install the front bulbs you remove the 2 liner clips from the front wheel well and pull away the liner to get access to the turn signal bulbs.

I went from 4 times 37 watt bulbs with hazard lights on, to 4 times 3 watt bulbs or from 148 watt consumption in emergency mode to about 12 watts.

from a safety point of view the battery has around 50 usable amps before going into drain mode. This means with the old bulbs I could run my hazard lights for about 4 hours before severely draining the battery, to now about a little over 2 days with the led bulbs.

I am going to install 2 relays to deactivate the drl's and replace them with an electric web drl module which will use the new led's as drl's. This will reduce my idle consumption when waiting in border lines from 72 watts to a little under 6 watts, subsequently I should have the engine starting less when stopped.

Does your hazards work with no key in ignition? Mine only works when key is set to ON or car is started.

tharvey 05-23-2009 06:08 PM

my hazard lights work regardless of ignition, whether it be on or off or in parked position.

I bought my relay unit from superbrightleds.com which was about 4 dollars cheaper. I noted that the end digit was 04 where as I have seen identical unit ending with an end digit of 08.

Of note I no longer have the annoying seat belt reminder beeper, it does state in their sight at superbright that you will loose the park confirmation beep, I guess they threw in the seatbelt off chime for no charge.

If you are a little smaller then me at you should be able to lie down in the foot compartment and reach the relay and disengage it without taking apart the dash.

Now to figure out how to disable the drl's so I can replace them with the drl module from web electric and use my 3 watt amber lights as drl's and only use 6 watts of power.

Tim

dcemureviews 05-23-2009 08:24 PM

Darn, I might have to get the C18-08. I rather have the hazards than confirmation. I have viper alarm, so it will beep. I thought it was the flashing of parking lights that wouldnt work.

ruc2827 05-26-2009 08:22 AM

What parking/turn signal bulbs are everyone using? Can you provide links and whether you think they are as bright as the standard filament bulbs? The brightest I've found are the 150 lumen LED parking/turn signal bulbs from V-LED. Also, I'm wondering since they are 7W if they won't require replacing the flasher module since their current draw might be high enough?

Russ

tharvey 05-26-2009 05:25 PM

Humm unfortunately the seat belt warning has returned. So it appears the only loss I suffered is the lock and un-lock confirmation flash.