Remote key FOB

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Question Remote key FOB

I am finding that the grey color of the remote key FOB is quickly starting to show "wear" marks....kinda dark areas where it rubs with other keys/coins in my pocket. Former Toyota remotes that I have had were all black, and didn't seem to show this early wear. I wonder if the grey color is just to make the keyless smart system FOBs look different than the keyed ones, or if there is an electronic reason?

Anyone else noticing this accelerated wear on ther FOBs? I know, dig it out of your purse or pocket and have a look.

Last edited by jbollt; 09-11-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Remote key FOB

I've been looking for something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...QQcmdZViewItem
I've had zero luck.
Anyone know of one that fits the Toyota SmartEntry Fob?
J

Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I've been looking for something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...QQcmdZViewItem
I've had zero luck.
Anyone know of one that fits the Toyota SmartEntry Fob?
J
Only 1 question. WHY?? So the key fob looks a little worn. So what - it is always in your pocket.

Last edited by TKCamry; 09-11-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by TKCamry
Only 1 question. WHY?? So the key fob looks a little worn. So what - it is always in your pocket.
I was looking for one for a totally different reason.
It is possible to press the release button and separate the physical key from the fob inadvertantly. This could result in the loss of the fob if the key is on a key ring. The case would minimize the possibility of the release button being pressed by accident.
It would also minimize wear and tear on the exterior so I suggested it as a solution to the OPs problem.
J

Old 09-11-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TKCamry
So true, except when empty my pockets each night before going to bed....Had to find SOMETHING wrong with this otherwise perfect car!

Old 09-12-2006, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

I too noticed wear marks on my key fob. While not an elegant solution, I used a small piece of Glad Press 'N Seal wrap to cover the fob w/key ring. This brand sticks extremely well to itself. I cut a rectangular piece between the glad logos, placed the fob top side down, and then folded the wrap envelope style (top/bottom piece of wrap over the fob followed by one side & then the other.) I cut the last fold to size, tapered it and then used a piece of invisible Scotch tape to secure that end. Similar to wrapping a gift package! This protective layer has been holding up extremely well and will also prevent the key from accidentally falling out of the fob.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 AM

I don't really see any wear marks, because the Fob is all I carry in that pocket (no other keys attached to it). I have noticed that when I look at it through my polarized sunglasses (esp in bright sunlight), it looks strange. Try it!

Old 09-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine sits in a zipper pocket in my purse (on the opposite side from the cell phone) and rarely sees the light of day...only if I need to go out to the car and don't want to take the whole purse...I just LOVE being able to open, start, and lock the car without anything mechanical or electronic! Such magic!

Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Enthusiast

I attached a little clip onto mine - and I clip it the inside of my purse. The only time it I ever actually handle it is when changing purses, or having to find it for the car wash attendant.

I so love not having to dig for my keys (which I felt I was always doing). Now I can be one of those obnoxious people drinking my coffee, hands full of shopping bags, talking on cell, and just get right into my beautiful vehicle. In fact, the other day at the vets, jugling dogs on leashed just walked right up got in - and someone in the parking lot stopped me and asked me about that feature...