Remote Starter - Dealer installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Along for the ride.....
Default Remote Starter - Dealer installed

Has anyone had their local dealer install a remote starter?

If so - how much did they charge?

Thanks

Old 09-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Remote Starter - Dealer installed

I thought I read somewhere that pushing a sequence on the keyfob starts the car - and that it works on smart keys too.... never tired it.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

No, the Smart Key system will not start the car. I don't have remote start, so I can't help you there, but I do know that the "out of the box" key fob will not start the vehicle.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Along for the ride.....

I know that TCHs have come through with remote starters pre-installed (be it in Japan or port-installed) but I'm curious if anyone has had their dealer do it and what they charged.

I like the fact that the existing key fob controls it.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Advanced Technology-PZEV

Originally Posted by Mainer
I know that TCHs have come through with remote starters pre-installed (be it in Japan or port-installed) but I'm curious if anyone has had their dealer do it and what they charged.

I like the fact that the existing key fob controls it.
I did inquire about this and the answer i got was very logical...my others cars that have the VIPER systems, have a key so when i put the key in it tells the car its ok to drive, if i dont and i touch the brake the cars shuts down.

But in a Smart key system there is no option to put a key in, so the answer is , " you can only get a OEM toyota hybird remote start installed" by the dealer , i mean you can buy it dealer can install it.

because if you buy a regular remote starter, it will start the car, but it wont shut it off as it would in a regular car if you dotn put the key in, since there is no key.

I dont know how true this is, but thats what i was told, and rather to take chances i jsut bought the toyota OEM remote start and had it installed for $48.

You can buy on at donjacobstoyota.com

Last edited by Rcommander; 09-20-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Had mine dealer installed - ran about 450.00. Works fine. Fred

Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Advanced Technology-PZEV

Originally Posted by fredo48
Had mine dealer installed - ran about 450.00. Works fine. Fred
Hey then i wanna get one too, how does it work, you start it and then when u get in the car you press the power switch? and are you using 2 remotes (Camry and RS) or just one, for locking/unlocking and starting? does it affect the smartkey system?

Old 09-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rcommander
Hey then i wanna get one too, how does it work, you start it and then when u get in the car you press the power switch? and are you using 2 remotes (Camry and RS) or just one, for locking/unlocking and starting? does it affect the smartkey system?
The Camry iGuide shows how to use the Remote Starter.
http://www.toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_CamryHybrid.htm

See the category "Keys and Doors" - "Remote Engine Starter". Operation with the SmartKey is the same as the example shown.

The Remote Starter apparently is available as either a port installed or dealer installed option.

Note: When you unlock the car to get in, the engine will shut off and you'll need to restart it after getting into the car.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

You press the lock button twice within 2 or 3 seconds then hold down the lock button for 2 seconds. Turns off when you open the door or (I believe) press the unlock button.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

I like this smart key system, just ordered the system for my Harley. This having a dozen keys is getting old.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter - Dealer installed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands