RS 3200 Alarm for the TCH

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Cool RS 3200 Alarm for the TCH

I will get my TCH late this week. I wanted to hear others' opinions on the RS 3200 alarm availabe. Do you think it's redundant and not worth it since I'll have the smart entry / smart start system? My dealer still hasn't confirmed how it'll work with the smart entry system. I told him I don't want it if it means that I'll have to take the key fob out of my pocket each time I get in and out of the car. That'll def. get old quick! Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. PS I'm in Ottawa, Canada and haven't seen a TCH on the road yet.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: RS 3200 Alarm for the TCH

I can't answer your question, but would be very interested to hear if you find out more about it. I just ordered my TCH last week from a GTA dealer, so not sure yet when I'll get it, but I included the RS3200 system for now. The buy rust proofing/extended warranty sales pitch ended with a sales pitch for the Boomerang vehicle recovery system. From a little research this is a popular system in Quebec and becoming more popular in Ontario. The system is apparently similiar to the US Lojack system (in fact, Boomerang was recently acquired by Lojack). I'm considering cancelling the RS3200 in favour of this system, once I find out more. Obviously it's more expensive and requires a subscription fee but sounds a lot more effective at keeping your car.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:13 PM
mak
Banned

Actually with the Smart Key system you don't even need to take the key out. All you do is walk up to your car and place your hand on the handle and the car detects the key and unlocks the door for you. Very cool function!!! I have both the smart key system and RS3200 Alarm.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One question I haven't gotten around to looking up in the manual... is there a feature that will lock the TCH automatically when you shut the doors and walk away? So far, I've been pushing the exterior lock button when I leave the car, but it seems there should be a sensor that can lock it, since it obviously will unlock it without driver input.

By the way, I now have my passenger door programmed to unlock every time the driver's door unlocks. It's an easy self-programming option, for anyone who may not have noticed.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:14 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Are the programming instructions included in the manual or obtained thru some other source? I was slightly annoyed to have to take my Sienna into the dealer to reprogram the door lock functions, and only after the second time when I came armed with the instructions how to do so from the Internet (they had no clue the 1st time).

Old 06-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: RS 3200 Alarm for the TCH

The brief instructions are in the manual. It will take you just seconds to do it.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Electricity Guzzler

Looking for more feedback on the VIP RS3200 Alarm. I have it on my TCH, the dealer will pull if off if I want. I have 10 days to decide. They had a terrible time getting info. on the alarm before installing. Toyota Canada had no technical info. and had said the alarm was not a geniune Toyota Part and that if it caused any problems the warranty wouldn't cover it. (I have a case number now.) I have tried the alarm. It allows me to enter no problem, but the passive (automatic arming) isn't working. So.. I have to pull the fob out of my pocket when exiting the car to lock the car and arm the alarm. (a deal killer for me, too inconvenient). When I use the black button on the door handle it locks my car but doesn't arm the alarm. Does yours work differently? And the radar that senses the zone intrustion, (someone grabbing an item off your seat when the window is open and the alarm is armed, isn't working. (It also doesn't set the alarm off when I open the trunk when the alarm is on) The instructions specifically warn you to disarm your alarm before opening the trunk. I think the problem is that the manual for the alarm talks about putting a reg. key into the ignition 3 times in 5 seconds to set up the passive (automatic alarm). How do we set this function with our push button cars? No one is able to tell me. I will get the alarm yanked next week if I can't dig up a response. tx. Also interested in what the other member Steve V. mentioned about having the car auto lock even though the black button on the handle isn't pushed. I thought that was the default. I'd like my car to do this.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 PM
HSD Organic Interface

I spent some time searching the PriusChat forums about the security system. Rightly or wrongly I'm assuming the Prius RS3200 is going to work pretty much the same as the one put into the TCH. While there was a bit of confusion even among Prius owners how the thing works, here's what I think was being said:

The basic security system is already present in the vehicles ECU, and just needs to be activated by the dealer using their programming device (scan tool). Only if you get the glass breakage sensor does hardware actually need to be installed.

The system has two arming modes, active and passive. Switching between them requires the dealer to make a configuration change. Your system sounds like it's working in active mode and you can't get the passive mode to work because, well, it's in active mode. The dealer needs to switch the mode for you. It's either one or the other apparently.

You mention expecting to have a motion detector within the car to sense if someone is reaching thru an open window. The only mention of this I've found is if someone reached in an open window and opens the door from the inside does the alarm go off. I'm curious if you actually have any docs that say there is a motion detector with the TCH RS3200?

Anyway, hope this might help a bit if what I've found does indeed apply to the TCH. Keep us posted what you end up doing...

Old 06-05-2006, 08:07 AM
mak
Banned

I've also been trying to figure out how this system works. Did you guys even get a manual or any documentation for the RS3200 system. I have the VIP Remote Engine Starter Manual but I haven't been able to locate one for the RS3200 system. My alarm does not work even when I open the car door from the inside.

Last edited by mak; 06-05-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Electricity Guzzler

I have the manual for the alarm. My alarm will go off if I reach in my open window and open the door that way. I can't set my alarm by simply using the Smart Entry system.
I have to pull the key fob out of my pocket and use the buttons. - too inconvenient.
also my alarm won't go off if I bang on the car and yank on the door handle. the system is suppose to have radar but doesn't go off when I reach in the car and take something off the dash. (not worth it, if that's the case) I paid $285 CAN plus 15% tax, I can even go into my trunk and the alarm won't go off! I heard that you can't put a remote starter on the TCH. Do you have one that's a toyota part and installed by your dealer? - product code? - cost - dealer info.? tx

Quick Reply: RS 3200 Alarm for the TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands