Saturn or Toyota...any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Saturn or Toyota...any thoughts?

I'm in the market for a new car and I test drove the TCH. I really want the TCH but I'm having some bad experiences with the dealers here in Southern California and it's discouraging to me to think, if they treat me like this now how will they treat me after I make the purchase? They act as though they don't need nor want your business.

On the other hand, I've bought three Saturns in the past few years and I could'nt be happier with the sales people and the service.

Is this a common complaint with anyone or is it just my luck that I'm running into salesmen with attitudes and total disregard for a paying customer? Well yes, Saturn has spoiled me to an extent, but my whole perspective on Toyota has changed and has tarnished in my mind because of these salespeople. I hope that I can one day find a Toyota dealer that actually works for your business and also works to keep you happy like Saturn and that's the dealer that I will make out that $30,000 check to for a new TCH.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-28-2006, 04:51 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Saturn or Toyota...any thoughts?

I guess in my opinion Toyota and saturn are not in the same league. I think Saturn makes a good throw away car but for a long term keeper I've just seen too many of them on the road that look like junk. (Just a personal opinion).

Another of my personal opinions is that while it would be nice, one of my requirements in purchasing a car is NOT that I have to feel like the dealer was happy I bought a car from them. I don't have to feel good about the experience just to get the car that I can indeed feel good about. Hey, it's a Toyota, after you buy it you may never have to see the dealer again anyway.

I have been extreemly satisfied with the two Toyota dealerships I've purchased from (about 9 Toyota's). I do try to deal with a salesman I like and am able to develop a relationship with, simply because I have purchased so many cars and I don't want to go through the learning process each time over how we'll haggle over trade ins and discounts. I've been lucky. However that's not a requirement, it's just a pleasure for me and for the dealer it's gotten them to be first on my list when I go looking again (some dealers (at least rural ones) do want to be your dealer for life.)

Old 06-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'd say Saturn/GM *ARE* more desperate for your business! In 1993 when I bought the then-new model Nissan Altima, it was after going to several Toyota dealers and finding they expected me to pay sticker price for a Camry. This time around, because the TCH is in high demand, I knew I had no bargaining power.

As a new Toyota owner, I don't yet know how they are with service. Maybe J.D. Power has some data?

Old 06-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

I've been very happy with my Saturns. I've put between 200k and 250k on them with no real mechanical break downs. The TCH Is a move up for me and that's all the more reason I feel that they (Toyota) should respect me the customer and try to make the buying experience as pleasant as possible. I'm also sure that the dealers here in Socal are not as freindly as the dealers there in West Virginia.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:09 AM
WVGasGuy

I feel that they (Toyota) should respect me the customer and try to make the buying experience as pleasant as possible.

You're absolutely right in that they should, however as I've told my wife and friends if I quit buying a product every time I got ticked at a sales person, a store or a brand I'd have to go live on a mountain somewhere.

It irritates me but I don't let it influence my business.

(Now if I wanted a Jaguar in the 70's I would have to demand a great service department because I knew I would need it. You had to be an a first name basis with your mechanic )

Old 06-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Saturn or Toyota...any thoughts?

[QUOTE=dakid13]I'm in the market for a new car and I test drove the TCH. I really want the TCH but I'm having some bad experiences with the dealers here in Southern California and it's discouraging to me to think, if they treat me like this now how will they treat me after I make the purchase? They act as though they don't need nor want your business./QUOTE]

It's a matter of finding the right dealer. I have been happy with the people at South Bay Toyota in Gardena. I bought my Sienna there several years ago and have a deposit there for the TCH. My experience with the sales force has been variable. My original salesman has been promoted. He was great. I have a longstanding relationship with the General Manager. I talk with him a lot. His name is Nick Cardin. If you are interested, call him at
(310) 323-7800 and tell him that Dave recommended you call.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:12 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I don't have to feel good about the experience just to get the car that I can indeed feel good about.
This gave me my morning smile because this is exactly, to the word, what my Toyota dealer told me when I was trying to get "a deal I could feel good about". Joe, do you have a secret life as a Toyota salesman in Canada?

But dammit, I refused to not feel good about it and hung around well past closing and wasted enough of their time until I convinced them to throw in a few hundred $$ worth of free accessories at least.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:20 AM
WVGasGuy

If you have the right temperment and can enjoy hassling someone without letting it get to you after you walk out of the door, then arguing with a car saleperson can bring great satisfaction.

The key is when you leave don't let it bother you. It's to be expected and it's simply part of the process, no matter how flawed, and you just have to go through it.

And ALWAYS have something like the $80 all weather mats that you've never mentioned in your mind, and then when you get to the final deal tell them you'll close right now if they throw in the mats. They usually won't walk away from a deal when they are down to $80. My first favorite Toyota salesperson got to know that I was going to do this. later when he went to used car sales I switched dealers to one closer to home and the new one is still figuring me out. I actually like my salesperson and stop in from time to time to see them both. I recommend my friends to use them and they appreciate it.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You might call around to your area Toyota dealerships and ask them if their sales people are on salary. If they are they might not be in business to try to nickel and dime you, or to try to add ridiculous, unwanted extras to the car.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
You might call around to your area Toyota dealerships and ask them if their sales people are on salary. If they are they might not be in business to try to nickel and dime you, or to try to add ridiculous, unwanted extras to the car.
Wishful thinking. No, they're all on commission and I think even if they weren' it's in their nature to nickel and dime you anyway. Unlike Saturn with the no haggle policy.

Quick Reply: Saturn or Toyota...any thoughts?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands