Sharp fall in hybrid vehicles sales as US tightens belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sharp fall in hybrid vehicles sales as US tightens belt

Gas WILL go back up. Welcome to the oil roller coaster we will be living with for quite some time.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by habu968
Gas WILL go back up. Welcome to the oil roller coaster we will be living with for quite some time.

It's gone up $.25/gal at my favorite station since I last filled up. Increasing crude prices is most likely a secondary motivation for Iranian gov. to sponsor Hamas; who knows, maybe even the primary one.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

prices will go up but not as much as they did, I think too many influential oil execs don;t want to help out the green movement if they can help it.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

stop thinking that any one or two people can dictate the price of oil.
it's a commodity and it's directly tied into economic activity.
today, with a slow economy, there is so much excess supply around these days that they can't find places to store it all. as a result the cost of storing the stuff has risen.
super tankers are being leased just to sit with the stuff.
the global economy will be in the tank (pardon the pun) for at least a year, maybe more. until you have a pick up in the economy, prices will stay down.
enjoy the savings

Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for the lecture but did I say that there was one or two people that affect it???
I said that it is not in some people's best interest to allow people to push a green agenda. What I meant was that OPEC / EXXON / others do not want their commodity to be priced in a way that makes green energy a cheaper alternative.

Thank for the lecture though

Old 01-09-2009, 03:24 PM

wasn't meant to be a lecture, sorry if I sounded preachy, but Exxon and OPEC can't control the price. If they could oil wouldn't have fallen from $150 to $37 in six months.
OPEC and the other producers would love to have higher prices, but the producing countries, especially Venezuela and Iran's economies break even at $70 so they're in for a big problem if prices stay low. They can't afford to hold back supply, since that's their only income, so they will keep the spigots open, hoping for cash, thus keeping prices low.
Only bounce you'll see is when you start seeing unemployment dropping in the US. That'll be the start of a rebound. Don't expect it any time soon.
Again, sorry for the preaching, but a lot of people believe there is some conspiracy out there to keep prices high....there isn't

Last edited by haroldo; 01-09-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
stop thinking that any one or two people can dictate the price of oil.
While I agree with you on the whole, don't forget that there ARE a few individuals (US President and several other world "leaders") that could double or triple the price of oil literally overnight... Wars tend to do that...

Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM

I'd gladly pay an extra buck or two a gallon if "W" or "O" takes out Achmedinijad (and it's not about the oil...he's a 'mad man' and is dangerous to the stability of the Middle East...and every other country, for that matter)

Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'd gladly pay an extra buck or two a gallon if "W" or "O" takes out Achmedinijad (and it's not about the oil...he's a 'mad man' and is dangerous to the stability of the Middle East...and every other country, for that matter)
I'm skeptical of such an approach. Keep in mind we've already removed one mad man and look what it got us - another one who lived next door.

That said, gas in Long Beach, CA is back up over 1.85/g - the result I think of one refinery at below production because of conflict between the new owner and Shell. I think the issue might be price. But it's interesting that such a little wrinkle in production or output can just jam us.

Personally I would gladly pay .XX/g in tax instead of seeing tthat money go to the oil companies.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by centrider
I'm skeptical of such an approach. Keep in mind we've already removed one mad man and look what it got us - another one who lived next door...
Iraq didn't create the instability (and insanity) in Iran.
In fact, the invasion was directly responsible for Qadafi's (Libya) decision to lay down his arms and, in effect, become a peacefully co-existing citizen of the world (a direct consequence of seeing what happened to Saddam).

Last edited by haroldo; 01-11-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Sharp fall in hybrid vehicles sales as US tightens belt

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands