Sirius Radio Issues on 07 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sirius Radio Issues on 07 Camry

No way would I want or be given a XM. No NFL football or Howard Stern on XM. The music the same on both so the only difference is sports or who's talking.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freeagn
No way would I want or be given a XM. No NFL football or Howard Stern on XM. The music the same on both so the only difference is sports or who's talking.
Agree, I had XM but the music they played I like is not as good as Sirius plus NFL Football. where is the original poster? Wondering if you urn up or down the treble if that is like my issue?

Old 08-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cohort
Sorry, I posted something close to this today and then saw yours sounds like my issue.

If you turn the treble down does the distortion sound go away? (sort of) Mine seems to be connected to the treble some how. I hate to double post but now that I see someone has sim issue here this is my problem, sound like yours?

Well I had the installed XM but really wanted Sirius. I made a deal with the dealer and am having issues with Sirius. The Sirus radio is a factory Toyota reciever along with HU. No FM Mod.

Issue #1
When I had XM hooked up to my Toyota Camry I swear it scrolled the letters so you could read all of the text. Now that I got Sirius it only shows 10 letters and I can't read 800 numbers or full names. It's a Toyota factor Sirus reciver that directly connects to the head unit and is not connected by FM Mod.

Issue #2
When the treble is turned up I get distortion. Crackles or sounds like distortion when someone talks, a vibration of the voice like the speakers is blown or vibrating and only when Serius is on, AM and FM are fine along with a CD. Once I turn the treble to -1 to -5 it goes away but once I turn the treble up is when I have the problem. I messed with it today, it's like the treble setting in the sirus reciver is set to high so when the treble is turned up it vibrates or distorts. I didn't have this problem with XM.

I have had the dealer check all the connections and had Sirus send another signal to my radio, no luck.
Yeah the crackling static sound is mostly talking and highs, depends on the range of frequencies I guess. Also noticed the Sirius is much louder at a given volume than AM/FM/CD, sounds like some sort of imedance mismatch. They told me now that all 07 Camrys and Solaras need some jumper inline. I suspect it is some sort of either ground loop interference filter or some thing with impedance matching. They are waiting on parts. I need to find out if XM has same issues and maybe I'll push for XM. I really want Sirius, for Howard, although I came from XM and it was good. I also notice the Sirius with windshield antenna drops out a bit, this was a rarity in my TL with XM.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:40 PM

Agree, I had XM but the music they played I like is not as good as Sirius plus NFL Football. where is the original poster? Wondering if you urn up or down the treble if that is like my issue?
Sorry for the delay, I will try the turning trebel down tomorrow, but as the crackling is in the highs I suspect it will either disappear or diminish.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

I just faxed this to my dealership, I will post on what he has to say when he replies. What does FJ Cruiser vehicles mean? Is that Camry as well?
The TSB alludes to the FJ Cruiser head unit replacement (part number 86120-35380) made by Fitjitsu Ten (China) that may be imparing the function of the satellite tuner. The 07 FJ Cruiser uses the same XM satellite tuner as the 07 Camry (part number 86180-0w030). Not sure what the Sirius part numers are.

Since the Camry 6-disc JBL head unit (part number 86120-33A00) is made by Matsushita Electric (Japan), I'm thinking the TSB does not apply to the Camry.

Some of us on this board have the XM/JBL OEM setup with no treble or reception issues - would be interested in what the dealer figures out?

Old 08-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

I also notice the Sirius with windshield antenna drops out a bit, this was a rarity in my TL with XM.

The Sirius system has 3 highly elliptical orbit satellites that performs transmission signal 'hand-offs' in the northern hemisphere. This orbit results in higher latitude flyovers which according to Sirius then requires less repeater towers.

The XM system has 2 geosynchronous (stationary) satellites parked at 22,300 miles above the equator. XM uses quite a bit more repeater towers to get around blocked 'line of sight' areas.

I've never had Sirius, but have XM now for over 4 years with both OEM and retail plug-n-play units and dropouts are very rare.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredoulis
The TSB alludes to the FJ Cruiser head unit replacement (part number 86120-35380) made by Fitjitsu Ten (China) that may be imparing the function of the satellite tuner. The 07 FJ Cruiser uses the same XM satellite tuner as the 07 Camry (part number 86180-0w030). Not sure what the Sirius part numers are.

Since the Camry 6-disc JBL head unit (part number 86120-33A00) is made by Matsushita Electric (Japan), I'm thinking the TSB does not apply to the Camry.

Some of us on this board have the XM/JBL OEM setup with no treble or reception issues - would be interested in what the dealer figures out?
Not sure what TSB means.

Are you saying there is a part on the head unit that can be replaced without replacing the head unit all together, it works not only for FJ Cruiser but also for the Camry and could fix my problem?

Originally Posted by Fredoulis
I have/had that setup but switched to Sirus. Not a lick of trouble wit XM but as I said, it wasn't for me

Last edited by cohort; 08-26-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Let me ask you guys, they put that black box on my windshield as well. I took it off today so Monday they can put it in the back of the car. Should I just leave it up front of mount it on the back window? I also thought of setting it on the back dashboard area (not directly on the window). What do you guys think?

Old 08-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Let me ask you guys, they put that black box on my windshield as well. I took it off today so Monday they can put it in the back of the car. Should I just leave it up front of mount it on the back window? I also thought of setting it on the back dashboard area (not directly on the window). What do you guys think?
I would leave it in the windshield. I tinited my windows so the back widow is out now, I have grown used to the windshield and don't even notice it any more.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are you getting the jumper? I'd like to know how it works out for you and if it works could you post part #'s and all please

thanks

Quick Reply: Sirius Radio Issues on 07 Camry

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands