Smart Key Napping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Smart Key Napping?

I've had my TCH for 8 days now. First, of course, I must say that I LOVE the car!

Now, on to my reason for posting this:

* 3 times during this week, I've had to convince the smart key system that I'm ready to open the driver's door! By this I mean, I approach it, pull the handle, and NOTHING. Pull, pull, pull. Step back, approach again. Pull again. Move the key around in my pocket. Approach again. It may sound like a long time, but it opens in 20 seconds or so. I've never had an issue approaching the passenger door.

Anybody else had a similar experience? Any suggestions?

FWIW, I am approaching the driver's door from the back of the car every time.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Smart Key Napping?

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
* 3 times during this week, I've had to convince the smart key system that I'm ready to open the driver's door! By this I mean, I approach it, pull the handle, and NOTHING. Pull, pull, pull. Step back, approach again. Pull again. Move the key around in my pocket. Approach again. It may sound like a long time, but it opens in 20 seconds or so. I've never had an issue approaching the passenger door.

Anybody else had a similar experience? Any suggestions?
Tell your dealer to check it out. It sounds like a radio receiver is not working properly.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do you have a phone next to the smart key - perhaps hanging on your belt? If so, move the key or the phone to the other side so they are not right next to each other.

Another possibility is the battery in the key is low. The manual warns about leaving the key next to possible sources of RF, like a cell phone.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:29 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Also another note from the manual. If you happen to wear driving gloves or something like that it might take a few extra seconds. The system works not by pulling the handle by the way; you simply have to hold the handle

Old 06-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Strange that it would work on the passenger side, but not the driver side. I'd say it's the batteries in the fob, but with the passenger side working, I think I'd go talk to the dealer. Any trouble with the trunk? Any message from the dash display? I was really curious what would happen if I just happen to leave the car running and walk away. The dash flashed a message "key not detected" and started beeping at me.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 PM

No trunk trouble. No messages on the dash display. It's weird, but I really don't want to have to visit the dealer in just a week! I'll keep watching it, though.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 AM
WVGasGuy

You have two keys. Is it the same with the other fob?

Old 06-21-2006, 08:05 PM
it's just a car...

[QUOTE=bmgoodman]..... I really don't want to have to visit the dealer in just a week!....QUOTE]

Consider talking to the dealer -- the sooner the better.

You will be contacted by Toyota Corp soon and asked to complete a survey describing your TCH purchasing expserience.

One of the questions will ask if you had a problem like this.
If you answer honsestly, you will be asked if you brought it to the dealer's attention. You will answer "no". This may reflect poorly on the dealer and your salesperson.

On the other hand, if you give the dealer a chance to correct the problem, they will have an opportunity to correct the problem and earn corporate cudos for doing so.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:37 AM

I switched keys last night. We will have to wait and see. Remember that this only happened 3 times in a full week, so I cannot really say in just a day.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:33 AM

So, the alternate key just had a similar nap. I may try approaching the car from the front for a while to see if there is any difference. The few times I have tried, I've never had it fail to "sense" me.