Smart Key Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Smart Key Problems

Just wondering if other people having similar SmartKey problems to the ones I am experiencing.

For example if a door is open and then the engine is shut off the system always unhappy and produces a continuous tone indicating there is something wrong. I then have to waste time to make sure that I do have the SmartKey in my pocket and the engine is in not in one of the non shutoff modes, which it usually is, before ignoring the warning, closing the door and pressing the lock button.

The other day my wife and I went for a hike and she wanted to leave her purse, (with SmartKey in it) in the car! As you can imagine this created all kinds of problems! I finished up taking both smart(?) keys.

Just recently for no apparent reason when I exited the car I got the continuous warning tone again and this time the car just refused to lock. I spent the next five embarrassing minutes (our passengers were waiting) trying to figure out without success what was wrong! In the end I had to use the manual key to lock it. When I returned to the car the only way to open it was again with the manual key. After having to manually unlock the car on this one occasion the lock system has worked normally.

There are a couple of other things I also having trouble with,
1) Infrequent Drivers () of the car have several times left the car unlocked by mistake!
2) If I go through the starting sequence too fast i.e. footbrake, start button, gearshift to drive, I find that the system often does not register the fact that I had my foot on the brake and I have to do the whole thing over again!

I suppose there are some advantages to the SmartKey system but I'm beginning to figure the disadvantages outweigh them!
Any comments?

Last edited by Paulgw; 05-19-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:25 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Smart Key Problems

Well said. For all its convenience, and I guess "coolness," the Smart Key system can be a nuisance at times. Yes, my wife used to leave her purse/key in the car for short excursions regularly. No more.

I've wanted to work around the car after exiting it, apparently staying close enough for Smart Key to recognize my presence and keep the courtesy lights lit. Walking away for a while will get them to turn off.

But I'm more concerned with the potential to be stranded. While I have no proof, one suspects that the Smart Key is easier to break or damage than a typical key. Just how many times can I drop this thing before it breaks? Time will tell.

We are paying the price of being an "early adopter." Mandating options such as the Smart Key helps lessen the visible cost of the hybrid feature.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Paulgw
Just wondering if other people having similar SmartKey problems to the ones I am experiencing.

For example if a door is open and then the engine is shut off the system always unhappy and produces a continuous tone indicating there is something wrong. I then have to waste time to make sure that I do have the SmartKey in my pocket and the engine is in not in one of the non shutoff modes, which it usually is, before ignoring the warning, closing the door and pressing the lock button.

The other day my wife and I went for a hike and she wanted to leave her purse, (with SmartKey in it) in the car! As you can imagine this created all kinds of problems! I finished up taking both smart(?) keys.

Just recently for no apparent reason when I exited the car I got the continuous warning tone again and this time the car just refused to lock. I spent the next five embarrassing minutes (our passengers were waiting) trying to figure out without success what was wrong! In the end I had to use the manual key to lock it. When I returned to the car the only way to open it was again with the manual key. After having to manually unlock the car on this one occasion the lock system has worked normally.

There are a couple of other things I also having trouble with,
1) Infrequent Drivers () of the car have several times left the car unlocked by mistake!
2) If I go through the starting sequence too fast i.e. footbrake, start button, gearshift to drive, I find that the system often does not register the fact that I had my foot on the brake and I have to do the whole thing over again!

I suppose there are some advantages to the SmartKey system but I'm beginning to figure the disadvantages outweigh them!
Any comments?
You CAN intentionally lock the second smartkey in the car if you use the lock button on the fob outside of the car. You then need to use the button to reopen the door (I think).
I have experienced (2) but now I just make sure I see the READY indicator before taking the car out of park.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Smart Key Problems

For the occasional nuisances of the Smart Key, it's still great 99.7 percent of the time, and I'd rate it among my top features.

I love not fumbling for keys, especially when I have groceries or stuff to unload. I love that I don't have to sort through everything in my pocket, stick the key in the door, then search to stick it in the ignition. I am much less apt to lock a Smart Key in my ignition than a regular key.

So I just laugh off the occasional 'grrrrr' moment. It's all good.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

Love the smartkey system - wouldn't want it any other way.

I've had no "problems" at all.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
I could be wrong, but I don't think this part of the startup is smark-key releated. The same rapid startup problem has happened to me, as well, even after the 'start' button is green (which I believe lights up green once the key is registered.) If you shift before the 'ready' light comes on, you've gone too fast.

My only beef with the smart-key is the delay with the trunk. A minor nuisance, wating for .5 seconds for the trunk to release bugs me. Probably shouldn't, but it does.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hello All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the car auto lock when the smart key is out of range? Seems like a simple enough thing that would be a big bonus to any smart key system.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by beng
Hello All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the car auto lock when the smart key is out of range? Seems like a simple enough thing that would be a big bonus to any smart key system.
Sounds like a great idea. Except ...
That would require polling the key fobs continiuously when the doors are unlocked. Something it does not do now. That polling could soon deplete the fobs batteries I would think.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I like the autolock idea, maybe after a delay of a couple of minutes.

I'll also cast my vote in favor of the SmartKey system. Every time it gives me a beep for something, it's because I was trying to do something silly, like lock doors that weren't fully closed, or lock the car with the key having fallen out of my pocket.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:49 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>>Does anyone know if it is possible to have the car auto lock when the smart key is out of range?

No. A good summary of customizable electronic features is available at:

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm

After the intro select Other Features, then Customizable Electronic Features.

The TCH will automtically relock the car if you unlock it and then don't enter within 60 seconds.

Quick Reply: Smart Key Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands