Snow: TCH vs. Odessey, a side by side comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Snow: TCH vs. Odessey, a side by side comparison

Don't have a TCH, but my current 2003 Honda Odyssey is the next to the worst vehicle for snowy roads I've ever had. (The worst was a RWD Ford Ranger pickup with no weight in the back. The absolute best was a 1980 Saab 900.)

Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think my TCH is doing fine in the snow and on ice. Of course, nothing could beat my old AWD Subaru, but I haven't gotten stuck and I haven't hit anyone, so I figure I'm doing well.

I use the "B" mode (engine braking mode) alot in this kind of weather - when approaching an icy hill, for instance. Helps keep the car going slower without hitting the brakes. Or when approaching a red light on an icy road.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by elsifer
I think my TCH is doing fine in the snow and on ice. Of course, nothing could beat my old AWD Subaru, but I haven't gotten stuck and I haven't hit anyone, so I figure I'm doing well.

I use the "B" mode (engine braking mode) alot in this kind of weather - when approaching an icy hill, for instance. Helps keep the car going slower without hitting the brakes. Or when approaching a red light on an icy road.
I thought about using B mode as well but came to the conclusion that it's no different from braking. The limiting factor is still tire traction.

Which tires do you have? My stock tires are the Bridgestone Turanzas and I recently got a 2nd set of rims with Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter.

The mudguards and all weather floor mats have been quite useful the past few weeks.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:13 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Squint
I thought about using B mode as well but came to the conclusion that it's no different from braking. The limiting factor is still tire traction.
I would tend to agree. In fact, using B mode on ice and snow seems like even a less wise approach that using the brakes. In B mode only the front tires are involved with the slowing of the vehicle, whereas with brakes you will be getting the traction of 4 tires involved with slowing the car. I realize that regen braking only involves the front tires but I assume if some slippage begins to occur the mechanical brakes will be activated in the rear to assist.

I would be curious if any anti-lock braking or VDIM applies when using B-mode carelessly on excessively slippery roads. I'd like to think "yes", but using the brakes still seems the proper solution in this case.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I use the B mode less as a braking mode, and more as an "I don't want to coast any faster" mode. Does that make sense? Why would they put such a thing in the car if it was not going to be used this way, and if it was going to be more dangerous if it was used this way?

Last edited by elsifer; 01-15-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Said too much
Old 01-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, crazy evening. Car is less than a week old. Ice under snow on the last leg of my commute home.

Unfortunately and fortunately I can add to this thread. I almost got in an accident earlier this evening. I ended up about an inch away sideways from a car I was sure I was going to hit. I really should have hit the car, my TCH intervened It was amazing.

As I approached an intersection near my home this evening, the light went from red to green. Instead of coming to a full stop I took a right onto my road rolling on through the intersection at a speed around 15. As soon as I entered my lane the car started sliding sideways on ice which I didn't see. I immediately hit the breaks which I know is a bad idea, I felt I had no choice, I was about to slide into 2 cars. Then the cars systems kicked in and started the beeping noise from the control systems.

Fortunately I was able to regain control of the car (or rather the car regained control for me) just as it was about to hit the side of a vehicle in the turning lane to enter the street I just turned off of.

I am actually glad this happened. I am even more happy that I didn't hit anyone Now at least I know some of the limits of the car.

I do find it curious though, the car I traded in for my TCH was a 05 Altima 3.5 SE. I never had a problem in snow or ice with this car, it had bigger tires and about 100 more horses with a 5 speed.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by Qslugs
I do find it curious though, the car I traded in for my TCH was a 05 Altima 3.5 SE. I never had a problem in snow or ice with this car, it had bigger tires and about 100 more horses with a 5 speed.
In most cases, it probably comes down to differences in tires. The snow/ice driving ability of all-season tires span a large spectrum. Do you have the Michelins Energy's or Bridgestone Turanzas? The tires you had on the Altima were probably just better in the snow/ice.

You can read all about tires' snow/ice capabilities at Tirerack. I'm pretty sensitive to snow/ice handling because I had some very interesting experiences last winter in my old Camry which has Dunlop SP Sport 4000 tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

The TCH's OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=ST

The Michelins:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...nSpeedRating=S

Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, thanks for the info. I may be headed in the direction of different tires depending on how the rest of the winter is looking. Fortunately for me I am living outside of Chicago, the entire place is flat. Not only that, but its only snowed 2 twice this season so far with any sort of coverage.
I grew up in NE PA, I definitely know the usefulness of snow tires

Anyway, I was just a bit surprised by my near collision. If nothing else I will drive even slower in miserable weather, and get yet even better gas milage

As for the tires I have, I believe from the color of the pamphlet that came with the car, they are the Michelins. I will have to take a look at that, see what shoes the cars got on.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I will chime in and say that I have "tried out" the VDIM in my TCH in my work parking lot which had frozen over. I made an aggressive 90 degree turn on the hard packed ice/snow (while applying throttle), and was amazed that the car actually made the turn without plowing straight ahead. I could feel that the car was intervening (applying brakes to the appropriate wheels), but it was very subtle. I think this is the difference between VDIM and the older VSC systems. The VSC systems are far from subtle, while the VDIm is hardly noticeable.

I tried the same thing in my wife's accord coupe this morning and almost ended up in a snowbank.

Nice job Toyota/Lexus!

Last edited by spiff72; 01-20-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
I will chime in and say that I have "tried out" the VDIM in my TCH in my work parking lot which had frozen over. I made an aggressive 90 degree turn on the hard packed ice/snow (while applying throttle), and was amazed that the car actually made the turn without plowing straight ahead. I could feel that the car was intervening (applying brakes to the appropriate wheels), but it was very subtle. I think this is the difference between VDIM and the older VSC systems. The VSC systems are far from subtle, while the VDIm is hardly noticeable.

I tried the same thing in my wife's accord couple this morning and almost ended up in a snowbank.

Nice job Toyota/Lexus!
I'm glad I'm not the only person that tried this. I, too, was curious about the VDIM intervention and tried several sudden moves in a deserted snowy, icy parking lot. The VDIM adds impressive handling capabilities. The car turned on ice like a skater, stopped and started effectively, and no matter what I did, I could not get the car to spin donuts. The trick now is to drive like it doesn't exist so it's there for an additional measure of safety, and not something I rely on. I believe that's why I see so very many p/u and SUV's in ditches when it snows: I think there's a false sense of safety. And while VDIM is truly impressive, driving on ice still stinks.