Some people's thought process is strange

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Some people's thought process is strange

Originally Posted by livvie
I have yet to hear somebody on this thread complain that the TCH is nothing more than a glorified base model. The only people that compare the base model to their hybrid counterpart are in the minority. At least that is what I've experienced.
Because TCH is not base model, period. As far as I know base model has no stability control, key less entry, aluminium rims, leather steering wheel, multi information display, remote iluminated entry, multi power driver seat, dual zone AC, homelink, auto dimming rear view mirror and whole bunch of other things that I don't remember off hand. Base model is also slower from 0-60, 1/4 mile, has no CV transmission and has lower mpg rating. Stability control alone is usually pretty expensive option and just few years ago only available on very expensive, top of the line models from Mercedes and alike. I know a guy who bought used Accura for $5000 and then spend $2000 on special aluminium rims, so people may put different value on different options, but they are there on TCH , even if you don't know about them that much.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 AM

That was my point (that it is not a base model... yet people are complaining that others label it as a base model. I don't know who that others are and I believe that it's a minority belief).

Old 06-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, for me - I get twice the gas mileage as I did in my previous car ('97 Lexus LS400); have the same level - no, more - of the "creature comforts"; better gas mileage; a sharp looking car that is solid; NO ROAD NOISE THRU A RAGTOP; great gas mileage; an awesome tax credit (almost like extra money); oh, did i mention better gas mileage - since it's at about $3.00+ per gallon????

The other "perk" is that here in Virginia we have our HOV (carpool for some) lanes that allow certain hybrids to access with only one occupant. Since my hours vary - its just me. My commute before was anywhere from 1.25 hours to 2 hours EACH WAY!!!! This little sipper saves me about 1.5-2 hours each day in my time. No sitting in the "red sea" of tailights for 70% of my trip home (I-95 north in the AM; south in the pm ).

The cost is almost a wash since I paid about 4K less for a Civic Hybrid and feel it doesn't even come close to the TCH. I really do like this car!!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:24 PM

The HOV lane permit is worth it all by itself, forget about everything else. Unfortunately in NY TCH doesn't qualify, I think minimum is 45 mpg EPA rating, which makes no sense since any midsize sedan will have hard time to go over 20mpg *2 passengers=40 and most SUV will do worse.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:44 AM

Well HOV will be short live which imo is a good thing. HOV sticker kind of makes a mockery of the HOV lane. Sure it had the side benifit of getting people into a more fuel efficient car but at the same time it did nothing to get more people to commute together. I wonder what HOV stands for? hmmmmm. Yes I'm being sarcastic.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

First post...might as well revive an old thread...

I just got my TCH a week ago, and I've had this conversation with quite a few people at the office. All it takes is one trip to the parking lot and short drive to change their mind. After actually experiencing the car, everyone thinks I must have paid at least 31k or 32k for this thing. $27,300 just blows them away. Hybird or no hybrid, that's a lot value.

Now I just need to find a way to replace some of the cheap plastic materials on the inside, and this will be the perfect car.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I tell them the truth:

I did not buy the hybrid to save money. I did not buy the hybrid to make a statement (that's what Prius' are for ). My daughters bedroom is above the garage, and I had concerns of exhaust lingering/buildup. That's it.. And no, I am not a tree hugging, tye dyed birkenstock wearing hippie.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought mine to help do my part on lowering emissions in the atmoshere.
I was going to get a Prius until I saw that the Camry is a lot safer in crash tests.

Safety and hybridity (is there such a word?!) hooked me.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
I bought mine to help do my part on lowering emissions in the atmoshere.
Ditto.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Talking Re: Some people's thought process is strange

Originally Posted by skywagon
Speak for yourself Osbud! Jap car here with out a creak or rattle or anything period.
Ditto!!

As far as "payback", there is more than just cost/FE to consider. My cashflow improved the moment I drove my TCH off of the lot. My Tundra payment was much higher, and [of course] its FE was much lower. But also, my insurance decreased, the tire wear and maintenance came down and I got a CREDIT [although only a small one] from Uncle Sam. Also, if my record keeping is correct, it looks like my depreciation is also goning to be less, thus I will enjoy a higher residual value when I get my new Toyota Hybrid.

[Acutally, I probably won't be trading or selling this TCH for that event. My wife informs me that she really likes the HiHy, so her Forester will go next.]

Quick Reply: Some people's thought process is strange

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands