Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Yes, it is super simple. Pulling off the first piece (usually one of the two vertical "fins") is a bit nerve-wracking. Just use two hands and steadily increase the pulling pressure until it just pops right off. Once you have done one piece you know how much pressure is required and everything else is easy. The clips are well designed and quite robust.

When you go to put things back together, it's easy. Just be sure to take your time and make sure clips and tabs are aligned. Putting pieces back on takes less pressure than taking them off. If something doesn't want to go, pull it back off and start over.
Originally Posted by GreenHawaii
Is it so simple that a totally non-technical, clumsy person such as myself can do it? I'm afraid I'll get it apart and won't be able to get it back together. Or I might break a plastic clip!

By the way, I am a monkey (Lunar New Year animal), so chances are I might "monkey" it up!! But if it's really that simple, REALLY simple, maybe I'll give it a try...

Old 08-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

After the dealer unsuccessfully tried to fix the squeak, I tried to do it myself. I used both the felt pads and the grease (Why not?).

So far, the squeak is gone. My experience was that the loudness of the squeak depended on the temperature in the car.

Will Mayall

Old 08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here are the step-by-step instructions for fixing the squeak (also check nash's images posted earlier for dissasembling):

These are the felt pads that I used. Others (like velcro, if not too thick) can be used.

First step: open the console door and unscrew (counter-clockwise) the shift ****

Second step: remove the vertical fins by pulling first from the base and then at the top as shown. The fins should come out easily, do not bend them from side to side.

The vertical fins are hold in place by two clips covered in pink rubber

Third step: Open the cupholder door and remove the shift cover plate starting from back and moving slowly to the front, using your fingers working your way upwards. Again, do not use too much force, it should release rather easily.

Fourth step: place three felt pads as shown, just next to the holes for the yellow rubber clips (red squares). These three should suffice as they provide enough tension between the cover plate and the plastic underneath to avoid friction. Note: If necessary, i.e. a faint squeak could still be heard, additional felt pads can be placed next to the holes for the guiding clips (green boxes; the one at top left is masked by the heated seats switch in this image).

Put everything back together in reverse order and enjoy the silence!

A word about using grease: I do not find that necessary. Also, in time and with warm weather the grease will probably need to be reapplied. The felt dots of medium thickness seem to be all that's needed and may represent a permanent solution. There are no more noises, not even faint, coming from the console anymore.

Last edited by lovekills; 08-31-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

Do you think this will work for the rattle I hear coming from the console? I can silence it by pressing on the cupholder cover, or on the armrest. Is my rattle (kind of a fluttery, plastic-y sounding rattle) different from the squeak?

And thank you for the excellent photos and instructions.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alc13
Do you think this will work for the rattle I hear coming from the console?

Not sure. The squeaking noise, although quite loud, is more like a medium-high pitch noise produced by the slightest touch of the console, while a rattle may indicate something is loose. However, if the rattle you hear is produced by the two plastic plates the felt pads may hold them in place and the noise will disappear. It’s a try and see.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did it, the pictures posted by nash and lovekills made it look too simple not to try it. Of course, I enlisted the help of my husband who only wanted the dealer to do it but the pictures convinced him. Thanks to lovekills for a photo of the felt dots packaging too, I went to Home Depot and got the exact same size. I put the felt dots but no oil. I've only driven it a few blocks and no squeak so far...I can't even force the squeak which was simple to do before. SILENCE IS GOLDEN!!!

Old 08-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

While I applaud everyone here for trying to FIY, I think you should all be bugging our Toyota Service managers to fix this problem. These are $28,000 CARS for goodness sake, we shouldn't have to do this crap to fix a squeak. I'm sorry.

I took mine into the dealership and the service manager fixed the squeak in 5 min. If everyone did this, maybe Toyota would get a clue and FIX the problem themselves. Maybe as part of the the PDI process the service dept would double check the clips (my squeak was caused by a missing clip). No felt or grease or magic powder was used. Better yet maybe Toyota would build a car without annoying squeaks!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I installed the felt pads as shown by lovekills as my squeaking was not completely eliminated by the silicone grease. Hopefully this will stop the squeaking for good!

lem144, I agree for the price of the TCH, these squeaks should not occur. However, I don't mind fixing small things myself to save the time it takes to have the dealer do it. I tend to be a do-it-yourself type of person, and like to know why things work.

One thing I will be having the dealer look into is the driver's window rattle. If the window is about half way down and you shut the drivers door, the window frame rattles. Not good... If the window is up, no rattle.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lem144
While I applaud everyone here for trying to FIY, I think you should all be bugging our Toyota Service managers to fix this problem.
I agree in theory but...

I did take my car in to the dealer to fix the squeak and they didn't fix it. This is even after I told them about the fixes from this list. Squeaks are tough to fix. This list has got this squeak figured out but I don't think my dealer reads the list.

It took a few hours of my time to shuttle back and forth to the dealer. It took me a few minutes to fix the squeak myself.

Having said that, I plan to call the service manager and tell them of my experience and I will write a letter to Toyota.

Will Mayall

Old 08-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
lem144, I agree for the price of the TCH, these squeaks should not occur. However, I don't mind fixing small things myself to save the time it takes to have the dealer do it. I tend to be a do-it-yourself type of person, and like to know why things work.

One thing I will be having the dealer look into is the driver's window rattle. If the window is about half way down and you shut the drivers door, the window frame rattles. Not good... If the window is up, no rattle.
I'm not opposed to FIY'ers, I'm just worried that if people don't raise hell at the dealers the problem wont get fixed. I could have tried to fix it myself too, because I want my things to be perfect..but I also want quality that I buy to be perfect, and I expect no less from Toyota. A missing clip is not excusable, and Toyota should be well aware of it.

I'm glad I was one of the people to get a detailed survey from Toyota in the mail on the quality of the car. I actually filled it out quite completely.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands