Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Originally Posted by lem144
I could have tried to fix it myself too, because I want my things to be perfect..but I also want quality that I buy to be perfect, and I expect no less from Toyota.
While I understand your point, I think your approach is idealistic. In the real world, we would expect all kind of issues in a first-year model regardless of their price tag. In fact I am kind of surprised there were no recalls yet (too early?). Fortunately this appears to be an easy fix.
A missing clip is not excusable, and Toyota should be well aware of it.
Your case is isolated, probably happened during assembly. The squeak is not related to missing clips but to the plastic material used and design. Eventually, Toyota will make the necessary adjustments. Like adding the felt dots themselves.
I'm glad I was one of the people to get a detailed survey from Toyota in the mail on the quality of the car. I actually filled it out quite completely.
So did I. Most customers do get one in the mail or email these days. Mine was all positive. I do not mind minor issues, but I do mind much bigger troubles I got in more expensive cars in the past.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Even when it comes to minor repairs, the less time my car is at the mercy of someone else's hands, the better. I worked for high-end car dealers for too many years to think otherwise. I wouldn't even let my Toyota dealer do my pre-delivery wash, 'cuz I didn't want towel abrasion. Geez, I even cringe at how tightly the underpaid lot attendants (politically-correct term?) will park cars before and after service. If you ask, they'll tell you how many accidental door dings they've had to fix. No, thanks... I'll try to fix any squeak myself. Save the grease on my leather seats for someone else!

Old 08-29-2006, 04:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Even when it comes to minor repairs, the less time my car is at the mercy of someone else's hands, the better. I worked for high-end car dealers for too many years to think otherwise. I wouldn't even let my Toyota dealer do my pre-delivery wash, 'cuz I didn't want towel abrasion. Geez, I even cringe at how tightly the underpaid lot attendants (politically-correct term?) will park cars before and after service. If you ask, they'll tell you how many accidental door dings they've had to fix. No, thanks... I'll try to fix any squeak myself. Save the grease on my leather seats for someone else!
AMEN!

When I owned my Infiniti and Acuras the dealrs woudl wash the car when they woudl do service, I woudl always tell them not to tocuh the car, I wash my own car. My TCH dealer is a buch of fools, I am only letting them do what they need to do, I fixed my squeak and as soon as i figure out how to get the back deck out I will pad it to stpo the vibrations, but th efew minor things I needed dealer to do they abused the car, put 14 miles on it to determine if the alignment was off, why not just put it on the machine, then they woudl sit itn eh car witht he car runninga nd AC on MAX while they worked on the Sirius radio. So I am done with them as soon as they fix the Sirius.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

I live on a red brick road (think cobblestones) and my center console was a cornucopia of crickets hyped on pheromones. Now it is silent.

Thank you for this guide. $1.50 at Home Depot, lovekills directions, and 5 minutes was all it took. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Old 08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

I also want to thank lovekills for making this TCH owner supremely happy!

Old 08-31-2006, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lovekills
Your case is isolated, probably happened during assembly. The squeak is not related to missing clips but to the plastic material used and design. Eventually, Toyota will make the necessary adjustments. Like adding the felt dots themselves.
My squeak was similar to everything everyone else talks about on here. After the clips were fixed, there has been no squeak. If the plastic is what is causing the squeaks then everyone should have them, including me.

Originally Posted by lovekills
So did I. Most customers do get one in the mail or email these days. Mine was all positive. I do not mind minor issues, but I do mind much bigger troubles I got in more expensive cars in the past.
I do mind minor issues. There shouldn't be any. I suppose this is a view of someone who might buy American cars, where squeaks and rattles are more common, but when you buy a Japanese car you expect quality to be top notch. So, when you fill out those questionaires you most certainly should identify every little detail that is not quite right. How else will they know how to tweak their designs to make a better product. Since these are internal surveys, they rely on the data to improve their product. If it was to earn some award or something, maybe then I could understand not being nitpicky. Hell, I even reported a loose thread on the passenger seat fabric!

Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

My squeak was similar to everything everyone else talks about on here. After the clips were fixed, there has been no squeak. If the plastic is what is causing the squeaks then everyone should have them, including me.
Again, many TCHs will have this squeak with all the clips in place. If after changing the plate you don't hear the squeak anymore - good for you. However, the squeak may still return. In my car (with all clips where they should be) I didn't hear any squeak in the first couple of weeks. It suddenly started while driving one day.

Regarding minor issues vs biggies: well, if I get upset with all minor issues I may not live too long.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Spybrid and Mikeki: Thank you guys, I am happy for you as well.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

A few days after installing the 3 felt pads (which was simple) my squeak is back slightly but not so bad as before. I think I will try the silicone grease and a few more felt pads.

I did bring this to the attention of my dealer, as everybody should, however, I wanted it fixed NOW because the squeak was driving me nuts. I even sent a copy of this forum to the dealer; and will also have them look at it when I take it in for the first oil change. Toyota does need to be aware of the problem but I agree with everyone else, taking it in and leaving the car is too much of a hassle when it is so simple.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenHawaii
A few days after installing the 3 felt pads (which was simple) my squeak is back slightly but not so bad as before. I think I will try the silicone grease and a few more felt pads.
I am squeak-free for two weeks now and can't induce the squeak anymore by applying pressure to the sides of the console like I did before. You may want to add two more felt pads just next to the holes of the two clips at the front-end of the plate (these are in front of the clips covered with yellow rubber). If I remember correctly, Nash did lube those same clips and that took care of the squeak for a while. The felt pads should solve them. A third can be placed in between the two holes for the clips just below of the yellow rubber clips. These four clips are not anchor tips but rather guiding clips but can squeak if they touch the sides of the holes in the plastic under. I would suggest trying first with the felt pads placed just next to these four holes. Save the grease because it is not a permanent solution. Please add updates here as soon as you get them done.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands