Steering Clicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Steering Clicks

My spouse feels it too, in fact commenting to me that something is wrong with the steering without me ever mentioning it. I thought she was just going to say that the car seems to drift left on the highway - of course for that the dealer says it follows the curve of the road, but it definitely drifts left.

But what she really meant is what you have described as the 'click', which for us is the silent but weird feeling that the steering let go for a second, like it skipped some teeth in a gear, or was bound up and suddenly released. It can be quite disconcerting at times.

The car goes in for next maintenance soon, so I'll report back later what they find - if they admit to anything - based on what everyone else writes...

Old 05-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast

I feel this with my steering as well. My car only has 2500 miles on it and it is really annoying. I am taking the car in soon to have this checked. Its weird. Sometimes it feels like its going to be out of control.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dealer finally ordered the part now that there is a TSB ST002-07. This will be the 6th and final trip to the dealer for this problem.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

PLEASE let me help you with this! I bought my TCH in May of 2006 and the steering clicks began last fall. It took my dealership 6 months of dedicated effort to finally figure it out, but they did accomplish it last month (along with the help, ultimately, of California and the regional service manager). One of the reasons it took that long was, as others have pointed out, it was so hard for the service folks to reproduce the problem in the shop. Anyway, the problem, as it reads on the work order:
"poor spline contact in the steering column. replaced steering universal joint 442991 91-41 1.0." There have been no TSB's yet, although my dealership (Darcars Toyota in Silver Spring, MD) did open a case # so they're hoping a TSB will be forthcoming but it took them forever to issue a TSB on the center console noise which I also had! This is going to save you and your service people so much time and trouble. (I had my struts and my steering rack replaced before they figured it out.) Best of luck.