Stereo speaker rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Stereo speaker rattle

I've had my TCH for a year and a half, and the speaker in my right front door is already pretty much shot. Bad rattling on certain frequencies. No, I'm not an abusive audio headbanger...most of what I listen to are podcasts! Have others here had problems with the factory-installed speakers failing? Has Toyota helped resolve problems? Thanks...

Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Stereo speaker rattle

Originally Posted by elscoot
I've had my TCH for a year and a half, and the speaker in my right front door is already pretty much shot. Bad rattling on certain frequencies. No, I'm not an abusive audio headbanger...most of what I listen to are podcasts! Have others here had problems with the factory-installed speakers failing? Has Toyota helped resolve problems? Thanks...
Take it in for warranty service...unless you are over 36K miles.

This is exactly the thing I get the Toyota Care Warranty for...I'm sure they charge at least few hundred bucks to replace the speaker if it is out of warranty.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is most likely a rattle of something inside the door, and not a failure of the speaker itself. There is a TSB out on curing audio problems, including this one, and a "kit" to deal with rattles. I'll try to scan and post this TSB ("Audio Quick Reference Guide") shortly, in the thread "List of pertinent TSB's". It's only necessary for the dealer to remove the plastic door cover panel (not a difficult job) to investigate, find the source of the rattle, and cure it. A test CD with a frequency sweep, or (better) stepped low-frequency test tones, makes it easier to locate the source. I have a low-frequency rattle in my driver's door woofer, and intend to tackle it when spring arrives.

Stan

Old 03-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same problem front driver side speaker rattle. I get it mostly when i have my ipod plugged in. Thought it was the sound level being output by my ipod vs the sound level ouput by the car.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, SPL...I'll be in for an oil change in a month or so, and I'll be sure to bring this up. Of course, if it gets annoying enough, I'll do it sooner.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
This is most likely a rattle of something inside the door, and not a failure of the speaker itself. There is a TSB out on curing audio problems, including this one, and a "kit" to deal with rattles. I'll try to scan and post this TSB ("Audio Quick Reference Guide") shortly, in the thread "List of pertinent TSB's". It's only necessary for the dealer to remove the plastic door cover panel (not a difficult job) to investigate, find the source of the rattle, and cure it. A test CD with a frequency sweep, or (better) stepped low-frequency test tones, makes it easier to locate the source. I have a low-frequency rattle in my driver's door woofer, and intend to tackle it when spring arrives.

Stan
SPL...can you advise where we could get a "frequency sweep" or Test tone CD?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM
SPL

elscoot and heatheredhead — I have just posted two Canadian TSBs (CDN_TSB2489 and CDN_TSB2397) in the thread "List of pertinent TSB's" covering the rattle and other audio problems.

mikecism — Probably the cheapest and easiest-to-obtain test CDs are the ones produced and sold by Stereophile magazine (www.stereophile.com) — three test CDs for US$24.95. Choose the "eCommerce" link on the left-hand side of the Home page near the bottom, and then select the "Test CD Package." They should provide the test signals you need.

Stan

Old 03-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Malcontent

Is it more of a buzzing? I have that issue with my right door speaker as well. It turned out not to be the trim or anything but the plastic sheet that covers the electric components of the door. The sheet is taut so it vibrates like a drum. I was unable to quiet it much though I probably could have if I tried some drastic measures.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I'd call it a buzz, I suppose. It isn't always there, but on certain songs or spoken word passages on podcasts, it's frequent and really annoying.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:44 AM

I get the same kind of thing -- a buzz and sometime a rattle of the door trim.

I have not yet determined if I want to pull the door apart or just turn down the base a little...I should get one of those tone testing CDs.

Quick Reply: Stereo speaker rattle

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands