Strut Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Strut Leak?

Hello all,

I am new to your forum and have enjoyed learning all I can about my new 2007 TCH so I can maximize it's performance and keep it in tip top condition.

I got it about 2 weeks ago and am running through the process of checking it out. It has 106k miles on it and runs strong. Batteries look good and had service records for the brakes and tires. I changed out air filters already, got new spark plugs in, getting ready to change transmission fluid out and moving on to the struts.

It had an inspection done at 100k miles, but doesn't look like they mentioned strut replacement.

It looks like it has never been done, and wondering if it is something I should do seeing how it has 100k+ miles on it.

It looks like there is a little oil on the top coming out, and from what I know it maybe loosing some fluid? is that enough to justify replacing it?

I have a picture as soon as I can figure out how to upload it.

Any other maintenance recommendations are welcome and look forward to your thoughts. thank you

Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Strut Leak?

go to photobucket or tinypic, upload your photo to their server, and post image code here.
just like this:

what do you mean "batteries look good"? 1. you can see only one anyway; 2. how do you look at battery and tell if it's good? much more to it than just looking at it, it's not a woman.

if strut leaks, it needs to be replaced. some say, that is one and only good reason to replace shocks and struts.

find my post about fluid change. will be handy.

you need to check battery voltage, on 12V one.

you realize your car was over-driven? mine is same 2007, and has only 58K miles on it. someone gave her a workout.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the links the one on the tranny change really makes it look simple and within my skill set.

Can you run the same diagnosis on machines without a nav unit? I searched and didn't see much

as for being driven, yeah the lady that owned it previous was a liaison for a hospital, so basically drove all over town to physician offices so yeah it's like 25k a year in miles. luckily they had service records and I got a good deal I think. the only things they didn't do were the things not on the recommended list, but things I like to make sure get changed like the struts, fluids that are "lifetime".

yeah and I meant the standard 12v battery not the hybrid pack, I have no idea how to have that checked. its only 2 years old (according to the records and no corrosion or anything)

our firewall at work blocks uploads to the sites you shared, so I will have to upload later.

thanks for the help

Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 AM

you welcome, MM, and welcome to the world of Toyota HSD. many misteries and adventures waiting for you in it.
i have no idea how to get into diagnostic mode on regular displays. on mine, it does show battery voltage in that mode though.
making you aware - 12V battery must be a vented one and deep cycle. as it sits in the trunk and produces hydrogen.
you always get what you paid for. i did not come up with this, folklore did. folklore never wrong. never. i am not asking how much you paid for yours, 07 loaded ones here run for about $14500 craigslist here. esp at that mileage. female driven, hah...

just borrow a voltmeter from someone and check on terminals voltage on the battery. easy does. should be way above 12 V. mine shows 13.8 or so.

you supposed to work at work, not read my messages. so do i, btw.