Stutter just as coming to a complete stop - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Stutter just as coming to a complete stop - Why?

Just as I'm about to come to a complete stop, there's a slight stutter along with a spike (to the 12 o'clock position) on the fuel efficiency meter. Just started to pay attention to it this morning but it seems to only do it when the car hasn't warmed up yet (approx. 10-15 minutes of starting up in the morning). Is this the ICE starting up? Why does this happen? Is this normal?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Stutter just as coming to a complete stop - Why?

If I understand you well, what you see is normal: as you come to a stop the fuel efficiency (MPG) goes to zero (the spike) if the ICE is still running. Eventually, the computer will shut down the gas engine and the MPG indicator will drop in the electric only zone. The slight stutter comes from the ICE as it shuts down. When the engine is warm you don't see this because the engine is turned off as you slow down, well before a complete stop.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

I actually see the same thing - but it's when the ICE is running... The shutter appears right before you come to a complete stop and several seconds 5-10 before the engine goes to e mode.... I have noticed the same thing.....

Old 10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mine shutters when shutting off when stopped. I dont really understand why it does this. Most of the time my ICE is already off by the time I stop.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:33 PM

OK, here's my "I'm really too tired to be typing this but I'm gonna do it anyway" hypothisis: There are three parts to the Camry HSD: the ICE, the big motor (MG2) and a smaller motor/generator (MG1). When the ICE shuts off while the car is is motion, you don't notice the transition between all the parts of the PSD (Power Splitting Device) because the mass and the movement of the car (tied directly to MG2) are far greater than the mass and movement of the ICE. Now, when the car is stopped but the ICE is going, that means the MG2 is stopped and the smaller and indepdenent MG1 is spinning, so now all you've got to accomodate the stopping ICE is the tiny MG1. Hey, that almost makes sense.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Freeze
OK, here's my "I'm really too tired to be typing this but I'm gonna do it anyway" hypothisis: There are three parts to the Camry HSD: the ICE, the big motor (MG2) and a smaller motor/generator (MG1). When the ICE shuts off while the car is is motion, you don't notice the transition between all the parts of the PSD (Power Splitting Device) because the mass and the movement of the car (tied directly to MG2) are far greater than the mass and movement of the ICE. Now, when the car is stopped but the ICE is going, that means the MG2 is stopped and the smaller and indepdenent MG1 is spinning, so now all you've got to accomodate the stopping ICE is the tiny MG1. Hey, that almost makes sense.
You might want to edit your signature... It has an IF instead of an IT

Old 10-27-2006, 07:32 PM

Uh, I meant that to be like that. Uh, yea, that's right. 'If'...'it'...what's the difference anyway?

Thanks for pointing that out.