Synthetic oil for mileage boost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Synthetic oil for mileage boost?

I can understand your concern about oil companies touting the virtues of their own oil. I do know that AMSOIL freely publishes the results of their tests against other oils and if the other oil does better then AMSOIL will state that.

What other oil company will do that.

AMSOIL has always advocated from their beginning "extended oil change intervals" to the extent of 25,000 miles. This while all other oil companies said we had to change our oil every 3000 miles.

Now car companies are depending on the cars computer to monitor our driving to tell us when the oil change is due.

The tide has turned.

I do not immediately know of any independ tests right off hand but I'm sure a Google search would reveal some.

Yes, I'm a very firm believer in AMSOIL as I want the best for my Hybrid. Lower operating temps and an oil whose base stock begins with a synthetic base. Not raw petroleum.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A couple of questions:
  1. Regardless of synthetic oil manufacturers claims you have to change your oil at the recommended intervals or risk voiding your warranty. So do you follow the manufacturers recommondations during the warranty period?
  2. I'm assuming that the dealerships don't carry AMSOIL (or any other synthetic). Do you go to shops that carry it? Do you buy your own have it changed at a shop or do you do your own maintenance? Just wondering what level of proof is required that you actually performed the maintenace.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
HSD Organic Interface

A couple of posts here about lower oil operating temps...

I'm kind of wondering why the average driver would care about a minor reduction in oil temp. I'm not even sure how anyone could tell, it's been a long time since I've seen a vehicle that had an oil temp gauge, even oil pressure guages are for the most part gone. Back in the days before electric rad fans (or for air cooled engines) having an oil cooler seemed to be the "in" thing to have, but these days unless you are driving in conditions beyond the capability of your cooling system so what, oil is suppose to be hot to be effective.

I find myself more concerned that my engine oil is up to temp rather than worrying about it being over temp, and I think Toyota is too by specifying 0W20.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

There were test reports on Mobil One in the late seventies when it was first introduced. The same for Arco Graphite. The advantages of synthetic oil are pretty well known at this time.

It's true that it's not possible to accurately gauge gas mileage from fillup-to-fillup, but the long term averages, say over 3-4 tanks will be pretty much on. In the example of my Scirocco, I drove the exact same commute every day, nothing different after putting in synthetic. I got an average of 32 mpg before, and about 35 afterwards. The drop in oil temperature was visible in gauge.

With oil changes mandated every 5000 miles, I don't feel the difference in gas mileage is worth the cost.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

I imagine most dealerships will not carry AMSOIL. My dealership does carry a synthetic oil. Castrol I believe. I plan on bringing in my own oil and filter, AMSOIL 5W20, and making sure that the dealer documents on my warranty booklet exactly what type of oil and filter were used.

I will stick with the warranty recommended interval of every 5000 miles. My dealer's service manager was still recommending an oil change every 3500 miles. Not sure if he was drumming up more business or if he was not aware of the oil change interval for an '07 Camry.

Might cost more but satisfies my peace of mind.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

What is the warranty implication of changing your own oil? Our TCH just hit 5k miles and I was about to do the oil change myself...do I have to take this thing to the dealer to have the oil changed if I want to keep the warranty?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:21 AM
WVGasGuy

If you're in the US, as long as you have receipts and documentation on the oil change they have to honor the warranty.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:27 AM
WVGasGuy

So do you follow the manufacturers recommondations (oil changes)during the warranty period? ABSOLUTELY!

I'm assuming that the dealerships don't carry AMSOIL (or any other synthetic). Do you go to shops that carry it? Do you buy your own have it changed at a shop or do you do your own maintenance? Just wondering what level of proof is required that you actually performed the maintenace.

I'm guessing most dealerships do indeed carry Mobil 1 (or anything else that they can charge you more for). You need to keep dated receipts for the oil, filter and other maintenance items and I would recommend keeping a log (in the manual prefferably) to document the date and milage.

Again, you need to weigh the extra cost of synthetic against the percieved advantages. Changing at 5000 miles with normal oils is adequate, especially since you're not towing or with the TCH.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13

I'm kind of wondering why the average driver would care about a minor reduction in oil temp.
There was a well documented rash of engine failures due to oil "gelling" during the period 1997-2004. The cause was high engine temperatures. Manufacturers included Toyota, Lexus, VW, Audi, Chrysler, and Saab. Synthetic oils were recommended in the affected models, because of higher temperature ratings.