is TCH 07 UNDER RECALL? ARE WE SAFE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default is TCH 07 UNDER RECALL? ARE WE SAFE?

Sorry if this answer is already posted in this forum, I already read online that all this massive recalls of many toyota models, TCH is still not under recall and we don't have to be worried of safety problem? is this absolutely true?

TCH drivers are not facing any problems with brakes or gas pedals?

mine is TCH07, so far no problem.

due to these massive recalls? prices ofTOYOTAs like camry and TCH is effected and resale value is down?

will these massive recall effect the auto insurance price for toyotas?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: is TCH 07 UNDER RECALL? ARE WE SAFE?

Not an expert, but, I believe insurance is priced based upon accident history and cost for a model, not recall history. For example, if 20% of Corvette drivers, due to their reckless driving, get into accidents, the cost of insurance will be higher for all Corvette drivers than, say a Volvo, where only 1% of drivers get into accidents. So, you pay for the carelessness of other drivers of similar vehicles.
As to resale value, since the day I got to this forum, I've argued that these are cars, to be driven, not investments, like stocks or mutual funds. Sure, if you try and sell one today, you'll probably get less money for it than you might have gotten last summer.
However, if you wait for the storm to die out and the market realizes that the fixes worked, that is, no more UA nor braking problems, confidence in the brand will return.
In addition, if other brands, due to their own analysis, order similar recalls (UA effects all brands, not only Toyota), then the stigma attached to the Camry will disappear.
You can also just keep the car. You don't have to sell it.
Finally, with the exception of the mat issue, the TCH is NOT effected by these recalls (yet).
Don't worry, it's an excellent car, just drive it and enjoy it.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Just went in for an oil change on my 50K mi 2007 Japanese TCH. They performed a recall for a recall letter I have not yet received. The accelerator pedal was shortened from the bottom. You have to look very carefully to see the difference. No change to the floor mats.

-- Alan

Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
Just went in for an oil change on my 50K mi 2007 Japanese TCH. They performed a recall for a recall letter I have not yet received. The accelerator pedal was shortened from the bottom. You have to look very carefully to see the difference. No change to the floor mats.

-- Alan
The shorter pedal is related to the floor mat issue. Shorter pedal allows more room for bunched up floor mats due to improper installation of the mats, before it will interfere with the pedal.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>>The accelerator pedal was shortened from the bottom.

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't realize they would perform the procedure automatically during a routine servicing of the car. I'll have to remember to tell them not to do it.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 AM

how about a picture of the shortened pedal...it might make others feel comfortable availing themselves of this option.
thanks!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 AM

I seem to remember comments from Toyota regarding this pedal modification saying this was a temp. fix until the redesigned pedal could be manufactured and installed. And maybe a software change as well? Anyone else remember this also?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

Yes, your memory matches mine. The modified pedal would ultimately be swapped for a new assembly. But things are changing fast, so I wonder if that's still true. In any case, there isn't a problem with the TCH's pedal unless someone misuses their floor mats in the extreme.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 AM

After reading the WSJ article...I've lost confidence in the way Toyota handled this situation.
They were aware of the problem (for some time, yet kept it quiet) and then bounced from one fix (replace mats) to another (pedal shaving) to another (software) to another (replace spring behind CTS accelerator assembly)...all the while not fully acknowledging the extent of the problem.
I think it's best to wait a few more days/weeks and see what else they have in store in terms of a 'fix'.
I love the car and (probably) would buy another...but I'm starting to think that the public 'tarring and feathering' might actually be warranted.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

I also read the WSJ article. It is unfortunate that both Toyota and NHTSA went down the floor mat track. But I can see how it happened. 35 of the 59 people who responded to a NHTSA survey and reported UA in their ES350 cars blamed floor mats for the problem. And the Saylor accident looks like a floor mat issue.

I wish the article hadn't mixed together the problem of UA and the sticky pedal assembly issue. The latter makes Toyota look bad, but the sticky pedal problem is apparently unrelated to UA. The media likes to mix all this together, making understanding what's going on more difficult.

Quick Reply: is TCH 07 UNDER RECALL? ARE WE SAFE?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands