TCH Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:41 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: TCH Brake Issue

Originally Posted by REV800X
Wow, Your are very good for Toyota at damage control... Hard to believe my problem could eliciet this response...
Huh?

I actually wasn't referring to your post specifically (I actually didn't even notice it until your comment as it was buried on the 1st page). Just sharing ideas and experiences like everyone else.

If you were looking for a virtual shoulder or a venting recepticle instead, sorry, I don't do that. The customer service dept has people trained for both those functions.

I don't do damage control either, I simply revel in the fact that such a complex system works as well as it does, despite some imperfections. My trailing comments were not satirical, merely advice for shoppers "your expectations will vary, this may be a non-issue or a big issue"

Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
Huh?

I actually wasn't referring to your post specifically (I actually didn't even notice it until your comment as it was buried on the 1st page). Just sharing ideas and experiences like everyone else.

If you were looking for a virtual shoulder or a venting recepticle instead, sorry, I don't do that. The customer service dept has people trained for both those functions.

I don't do damage control either, I simply revel in the fact that such a complex system works as well as it does, despite some imperfections. My trailing comments were not satirical, merely advice for shoppers "your expectations will vary, this may be a non-issue or a big issue"
Sorry about the response... Too many issues going on personally.. I appreciate the feedback and helpful responses from the many knowledgeable people on the forum..

Old 06-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by REV800X
Wow, Your are very good for Toyota at damage control... Hard to believe my problem could eliciet this response...
Gee Whiz, the guy is just trying to explain so give him a break. Must be one of the burned out iron rangers from MN. ROTFFLMAO

Old 06-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've driven lots of cars and my TCH's braking is excellent.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

God I,m so glad I read this thred as the only complaint I have is the quick grab I,m experiencing is really scary and not normal. I've decided to wait untill my 5000 mile checkup (3850 as of today) as I need my car for work. Just touching the brakes is bring ing on a quick grab and even locking and skidding if the road is wet.Has anyone else seen this?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mista
God I,m so glad I read this thred as the only complaint I have is the quick grab I,m experiencing is really scary and not normal. I've decided to wait untill my 5000 mile checkup (3850 as of today) as I need my car for work. Just touching the brakes is bring ing on a quick grab and even locking and skidding if the road is wet.Has anyone else seen this?
I think it was somewhere in this thread where I said that I was truely surprised at just how smooth the brakes are on the TCH, and I was waiting for an opportunity to try them out under harder braking conditions. Well, that opportunity arrived tonight. I was doing about 60 KPH, and a large dog ran out in front of me. I'm not that great at estimating distances, but lets call it 20m. My reaction was to brake suddenly and hard. The car stopped so quickly and smoothly (with a little bit of ABS pulsing), that I was left astonished (and thrilled that I didn't hit the dog).
About half an hour later, it started to pour rain. I was thinking about the questions raised here, so the next time I cam to a stop, (where it was safe to do so) I deliberately braked again suddenly and hard. Again, fantastically smooth response. I could feel the ABS coming on, due to the wet road, but that's normal. I don't know what the problems are that some others are experiencing - I can only say that in my case, I cannot find any cause for complaint so far.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've been interested in this thread because of my liking of TCH braking and the trouble some seem to find with it. Well, yesterday I borrowed my wife's '06 Corolla, which is one tight and nifty little car, and zoomed downhill in our neighborhood toward the highway intersection.

I squeezed the brakes a little, to, you know, come to a stop, and YEOW! NO BRAKES!

Of course, there were brakes aplenty, but I had to press farther and harder than I'm accustomed with my TCH.

My lovely Mrs. O., not a lover of machines, will someday agree to take my TCH for a spin. I'm absolutely certain she'll describe the brakes as grabby and unmodulatable. Plus scary.

Meanwhile, my little toes appreciate more and more the quick and predictable braking of my TCH, and the two times I'm slammed on the brakes to avoid the suicidal squirrels around here have been amazingly g-forced, bouncing all the books and detritus on the back seat forward and then to the floor.

And what's more, my hard cranks on the wheel felt somehow modulated, like the machine wasn't going to let me get sideways and flip the car.

I suspect the problems some are having with the brakes are more from expectation than from function. However, the model is new, and new models do have gremlins.

I sure seem to have a gem of a new model, thank you, Toyota.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
I am also well familiar with the regen braking giving way and having braking force drop a bit (the rough road or some loose dirt on the road causing the need for ABS seems reasonable to me). This is probably a bit more annoying because for 0.1 seconds it feels like the brakes have given out. It's about the equivalent effect of 1.5 cups of coffee. Most people have a tendency to apply a bit more brakes when they feel less braking then desired and in the end the actual safety aspect is null (unless you have the opposite tendency to remove your foot from the brake if you feel less braking, maybe should not be driving if that was the case).
That happens to me every day I leave work. There is a stretch of road that has two very noticeable bumps. When the tires it them the braking loosens up and that is a real pain in the butt. (There is a stop sign right after the second bump.) So what I do is actually take me foot of the break for a split second upon just hitting the bump....I guess I shouldn't be driving

Mike