The TCH -- Did it Get the Wrong Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The TCH -- Did it Get the Wrong Engine?

Originally Posted by jg013c
The TCH is not supposed to be a high-efficiency car, it is supposed to be a car for people who want to see better fuel economy without sacrificing too much in the way of size and power.

If someone is comfortable with a smaller engine then they can always get a Prius. I am glad that Toyota put a reasonable engine in the TCH.
My thoughts exactly.

An to the OP's point about Honda, I think that comparison is more accurate for Lexus than for the TCH. The engines paired with the HSD in the Lexus' make the fuel savings negligible. It id purely a performance booster (more total HP) and the conscience-saving "h" badge with the model number (IMO). I looked at the Lexus GS hybrid and just couldn't make the math work from a savings standpoint. It's a beautiful/powerful car, but not so much more than the regular GS for the substantial cost increase.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can only imagine a Lexus LS with the GSes DFI V6 HSD and AWD.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Old Boomer Techie

I live on a mountain in the Pacific Northwest, and the TCH needs the 2.4L to maintain traffic compatibility on long upgrades due to its weight. I also suspect that the 2.4L is capable of acheiving almost the same fuel savings that would be reachable with the 1.8L if drivers learn to keep their foot out of the pedal.

I seldom use much more than a third of the pedal on my TCH, as the extra power is just not needed most of the time. The exception is climbing a long grade where a little more is needed, and restarting or passing on a long grade from behind a truck or motorhome where a LOT more is needed. The TCH has adequate power for these tasks and yet if driven conservatively can still acheive better than 40 MPG consistently.

If one's personality demands more horses, there is always the LS vehicles to fil the shortfall.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

ekpolk — Here's a scale cross-sectional drawing of the ICE from the New Car Features Guide. If you use a ruler carefully, you'll see that the crankshaft is offset slightly from the centerline of the cylinder, in the correct direction to put the connecting rod approximately along the cylinder axis during the power stroke. This reduces the frictional losses slightly. By the way, the corresponding drawing of the non-hybrid ICE shows a similar offset — after all, why not use the same frictional-power-loss reducing technique in all their new engines?

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EG-02to03_Engine specs.pdf (56.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

My father has the Honda Accord Hybrid and he sees very poor millage on his short daily commute. He has been seeing approximately 22 MPG. I also drive short daily commutes. I have only had my TCH for 2 days now but already I am seeing MPG in the 35 range. I think the main difference between the Accord's hybrid and the Camry's hybrid is the fact that the Accord's ICE only tuns off at full stops any my ICE turns off on straightaways and downgrades. Thus it is the inability of the Accord's electric engine to drive the car by its self that hurts MPG. I really do not think it is the V6 because according to Consumer Report's test the Camry V6 gets only 1 MPG less than the V4.