The TCH would be more popular if...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The TCH would be more popular if...

Did you forget the Superbowl ad? Also, the subways here are plastered with TCH ads. All over the place. This is in Boston. Why advertise if every TCH is sold before arriving at dealers? Of course, my TCH just happened to be on the lot the other day.

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I haven't seen a single ad for the TCH, probably because they can sell them all without advertising. Also, even though hybrids have been around for a while I still have people ask me if I need to plug it in. If people learned the mileage that they're capable of with better performance than the standard 4 cylinder engine they'd be lining up for them.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

In the D.C. area, I don't recall having seen a single TCH ad, at least in print. I noticed a few Camry ads flying by at 60x FF on my TiVo; I think some may have been specifically for TCH!

Frankly, I'm not sure you can adequately address making TCH more popular until supply can keep up with demand.

I'd be curious to know what is the longest period a TCH has been sitting unclaimed on a dealer's lot? (I believe I know of one that sat for 10 days, though this is from phone calls with a salesman, so take it with a grain of salt.)

Old 07-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lem144
Did you forget the Superbowl ad? Also, the subways here are plastered with TCH ads. All over the place. This is in Boston. Why advertise if every TCH is sold before arriving at dealers? Of course, my TCH just happened to be on the lot the other day.
The superbowl was 5 months ago and I can't recall any TV ads since. BTW, you must originally be from NYC as you're referring to the 'T' as the subway. (I've lived in both).

I actually didn't even know that the TCH was available when I test drove it 6 weeks ago. My wife and I were going into the dealership to drive a Prius. They didn't have any of those to test drive. We only learned the TCH was out because the saleperson showed it to us.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
Our dealership has a long waiting list for the TCH, but I bet if they had some on the ground some regular Camry buyers, especially those who are already planning for a Camry with all of the options or an XLE, might actually buy the TCH instead. That is pure speculation, of course.
This is exactly what happened to my wife and I. We test drove an XLE, then went to a different dealer to test drive an SE. Right next to the SE was a hybrid (which we had never considered before).

As silly as it sounds, what made the deal for us was the fact that the hybrid and the XLE are the only ones that come with rear air. We have two kids and when we test drove the SE, it was HOT in the back seat (summer in Phoenix). The primary reason we are making the purchase is to cut down on gas costs (trading in my Chevy Avalanche) so we figured we might as well get the one that has the best gas mileage.

An interesting note, the salesperson we bought the car from said it was his first hybrid sale.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have been seeing occasional "general" Camry TV ads (they show a red one as the "main character"), and they do mention that a hybrid version is available.