Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Tinting (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/tinting-7912/)

kluken 07-30-2006 06:14 PM

Re: Tinting

Antenna is in back window, you only need the back non-metallic.

aslterp7 07-30-2006 07:59 PM

Can you see the antenna in the back window or did you read it somewhere? Is the GPS in the front window?

kluken 07-31-2006 04:06 AM

All I can say is that traditionally it has bene in the back window, I did not confirm this I made an assumption (bad me), but every car I have had recently has had them inm the back window. Not sure where Toyota puts the GPS antenna, but in my Acura it was in the back deck.

Mr. Happy 07-31-2006 06:13 AM

I just put 35% metallic on the sides (max legal for front doors) and 35% non-metallic on the back (so it's consistent and doesn't look like a multi-shaded SUV or a limo or ...).

All RF systems (AM, FM, bluetooth, cell phone, nav, smart keys) work perfectly.

nash 07-31-2006 01:58 PM

Here are some pictures of my TCH with 35% tint on the sides and rear. I had ForumulaOne Pinnacle non-metalic tint installed my Mr. Tint. They did a super job. The tint is very clear and does not distort the view. It really looks like a factory tint inside and out. It really helps keep the heat and glare out, and makes driving much more pleasant. We had a light rain the past few mornings and a most welcome relief from the heat.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../0/9/tint1.jpghttps://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../0/9/tint2.jpg

WVGasGuy 07-31-2006 05:26 PM

I've never had tint but I like the looks. If it's professionally done can you expect it to last 4 to 5 years with out streaks and bubble appearing? Does it scratch easy / hard to take care of? I'd love laminated but am having trouble committing to tint as it would drive me crazy if it bubbled or I could see seams.

nash 07-31-2006 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
If it's professionally done can you expect it to last 4 to 5 years with out streaks and bubble appearing? Does it scratch easy / hard to take care of? I'd love laminated but am having trouble committing to tint as it would drive me crazy if it bubbled or I could see seams.

Professionally installed, FormulaOne has a nationwide lifetime warranty against peeling, bubbling, cracking, fading or color change. It has a scratch resistant coating, but I don't believe it is warrantied against scratches - so that's a consideration. They did a one piece install on every window, including the rear - no seams :shade:

Care is wiping down with a soft cloth and a non-amonia based window cleaner, or water.

montush 09-14-2006 02:26 PM

I'm considering FormulaOne non-metallic tint for my TCH with NAV.
Just wondering if anyone has had a negative experience with tinting interfering with NAV / Radio reception on their TCH.

Thanks.

kluken 09-14-2006 02:52 PM

I have had numerous cars tinted over the years. My understanding is the NAV antenna is in the dash so metallic tinting shoudl not be a problme, however, while the tint place says no problme, I have foudn that metallic tinting in the rear window of a car that has the AM/FM antenna there does impact AM reception a bit. My standard install now is metallic int he sides and ceramic in the rear window. Ceramic costs more or I woudl proabbly do ceramic all around. I have used Formula One exclusively by the same tint shop for 15 years now.

chiedoziedike 02-27-2007 11:37 AM

I've been looking around for a good place to get my windows tinted in NYC (I live in NYC). Does anybody in the area (New Jersey or New York) know where I could get mine done for a reasonable price?????

Thanks a lot for your help!!!;)