Tire issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast
Default Tire issue?

After 19000 miles my Camry has an issue on all tires?

When I am driving, i always hear some low frequency fast ups and downs sounds, mostly driving over 40 miles/hour. It sounds like whirring sound from the engine comparment. I brought in to the dealer to check that out and....

The answer I got is: It is actually tires sound due to lack of tire rotation (I did my first one at around 12000 miles). The sound will continue to grow and the only solution is to get rid of all tires and get a set of new ones.

It is not covered by Toyota's warranty.

What do you guys think. Does the explanation make sense to you? How would you solve this issue? Should I change my tires?

Last edited by Ian; 07-13-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire issue?

With further explaination by the dealer, they say those are Cups and it is due to 'tires worn abnormally'. ~~

Old 07-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure where to start:
1. Tires are wear items and have different warranty provided by tire maker, not Toyota. It says so in the warranty booklet.
2. Road hazard, misaligmnent is not covered
3. Tire rotation helps to get even wear on all tires, since front and rear will wear at different rate (my rear tires last twice as long as front without rotation), it also helps with misaligmnent.
4. I would try to align the wheels first , most likely that's the cause of the problem or grabbing brakes (if the breaks grab very hard in one spot, the tire will wear more at that point and become little oval, making strange noise)
5. In my opinion lack of timely tire rotation should not create any problems on it's own, but it is legit reason to avoid warranty repair, unless you can prove some factory defect of the tire itself, but it would be hard sell now, after 19k. I don't think misaligmnent or unusual breaks wear would be covered either.
Either way you can call regional Toyota rep and see what he says, but it would good if you got second opinion and found real reason for extra tire noise, I'm not buying tire rotation all by itself. Which tires do you have? Michelins should last 30-40k easilly, I heard Bridgestones could wear in as little as 25k.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and all of the above is my best guess.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
I'm not sure where to start:
1. Tires are wear items and have different warranty provided by tire maker, not Toyota. It says so in the warranty booklet.
2. Road hazard, misaligmnent is not covered
3. Tire rotation helps to get even wear on all tires, since front and rear will wear at different rate (my rear tires last twice as long as front without rotation), it also helps with misaligmnent.
4. I would try to align the wheels first , most likely that's the cause of the problem or grabbing brakes (if the breaks grab very hard in one spot, the tire will wear more at that point and become little oval, making strange noise)
5. In my opinion lack of timely tire rotation should not create any problems on it's own, but it is legit reason to avoid warranty repair, unless you can prove some factory defect of the tire itself, but it would be hard sell now, after 19k. I don't think misaligmnent or unusual breaks wear would be covered either.
Either way you can call regional Toyota rep and see what he says, but it would good if you got second opinion and found real reason for extra tire noise, I'm not buying tire rotation all by itself. Which tires do you have? Michelins should last 30-40k easilly, I heard Bridgestones could wear in as little as 25k.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and all of the above is my best guess.
Thanks for replying Pete.
I agree that Tire Rotation isn't the only reason for the Cupping on tires.
After reading the warranty booklet, I realize that my tires won't get covered and probably I am going to live with it until it is time to change them.

Looking forward, should I continue to pay them rotating my tires?

I got BridgeStones Turanza on my TCH.

I am thinking of getting Michelins solely because it is quietier than BridgeStones. Which line should I get?

Thanks.
Ian

Old 07-13-2007, 03:51 PM

I had exactly the same Michelins on my old 2001 Accord (except the rim size I think) as my new TCH. I think I rotated the tires once at the start and then didn't bother anymore. I had to change front after 40k and rear after 80k, but I drive fast, especially on turns. If you rotate the tires, you'll have even wear and will need to change all 4 tires at 60k, without rotation let's say you'll need to buy front at 40k and rear at 80k, pick your poison. The only benefit is that all 4 tires have similar wear at all times, if you rotate them. You really should check the car and find the reason for those "cups", maybe warp discs? If there is a problem with the car you're going to waste new tires. I read on one of the forums that somebody had to replace Bridgestones after only 25k?? But I havent had one myself for many years , so don't have first hand experience. My TCH Michelins have 26k and they're good for at least another 15k, I never rotated them either. How much your dealer is charging you for tire rotation? At the end it may cost as much as new set of tires. I don't race my TCH, during rain or ice/snow storm traffic around my area halts to 5 MPH so personally I don't care about even tire wear. I could rotate the tires myself but I'm too lazy and I don't have time to waste at the dealer especially now that I do 5k in about 2-3 months. Maybe others can post their tire experiences, but I think Michelins should last longer?? They do suck in the rain and are so so in the snow, but those are multi season tires, jack of all trades, master of none. BTW I forgot to say sorry to hear about your tire problems, such great high tech car with such annoying, mundane problem, those tires should be trouble free for much longer than 19k. Also don't listen to the dealer too much, see if only 1 or 2 tires are bad and replace only that pair. They don't even have to be same maker as long as they have same ratings (including speed rating, those tell you how stiff side wall is), independent tire dealer should help you out. As long as you don't push your car to the limits, you should be fine.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ian
After 19000 miles my Camry has an issue on all tires?

When I am driving, I always hear some low frequency fast ups and downs sounds, mostly driving over 40 miles/hour. It sounds like whirring sound from the engine compartment. I brought in to the dealer to check that out and....
In the old days I thought I was saving money by rotating my tires ever 30,000 miles. Ray, a friend of mine owns a front end, alignment shop. He told me the rear tires tend to bounce around on the road due to the light weight of the rear of the car. This causes tiny cups in time the tire can produce various sounds or a roar. Ray said, when i'm ready, to go buy michelins. He also told me they were the roundest tire of them all. This was in the late 70's. Ray rotated and balanced my tires ever 7500 miles back then.

I now live in southern new mexico. I found its convenient to go to walmart to get the tires rotated and balanced. I got their lifetime rotate & balance. I have them done ever 5000 miles, usually after I change the oil. The waiting is nice, having such a large store to shop in. I have talked to others that don't rotate till 9000 to 12000 miles.

Other than the OEM tires on some GM, Ford and Toyota cars I bought, I have went back with michelins. Popular michelin tires I know of is the hydroedge, pilot and the new Energy S8 tire. They also make a lower priced OEM type replacment tire.

The michelin Energy tire is being replaced with a slightly better in all categories, Energy S8 tire. A few weeks ago we test drove a TCH with those tires and thats the best steering ever. Could be the combo of the electric hybrid steering and those tires.

I always run 35 psi after the tires have cooled and are in the shade. The tires wears normally, no slick edges and it improves my gas mileage.

I did read the high mpg guys in this forum run 40 to 44 psi to get a slight edge for better gas mileage. I may go that route later depending on the mileage I get, once the engine is broke in.

Tirerack.com has some pages where it's easy to compare tires. Some show better than these.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-15-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pete4
The only benefit is that all 4 tires have similar wear at all times, if you rotate them.
The real benefit of rotating tires is that if there is more wear on one tire due to any minor misalignment, then that wear will be spread out ultimately among all four tires (or two, depending on the tread style). This has the effect of making any given tire last longer.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 AM

I guess i'm lucky. I have not had a wheel alignment in the last 3 cars. I did have the '94 Corolla (at 125,000 miles) aligned after I replaced the front half-shafts due to worn center cv joints.

For simplicity, I figure a 3000 lb car would have 1000 lbs on each front tire. The rears about 500 each. I'm guessing, could be more weight is up front. I saw somewhere about the front and rear weight ratios on cars, but now I don't remember where.

My tires always wear flat on the bottom probably due to my easy driving. If I did have to make a quick turn, theres lots of edge rubber there to do it with. With the front tires doing the majority of the stopping. I like to have lots of tread up front for braking and keeping the car from skiing in a heavy rain. These are some of my reasons I like to rotate.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-15-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

finally i got a chance to get a second opinion why my tires have cuppings developed.
Tire rotation maybe one of the cause, but the tire plus stores says there is misalignment on my car that they suggest it is necessary to be corrected.
I am going to talk with the Toyota dealer tomorrow and ask why there weren't anyone telling me that my car was misaligned.
Misalignment has been an issue since delivery, which the car was misaligned on the delivery day. The steering wheel is not aligned correctly. As a result, they performed the alignment, but they over did it, so they perform it again.
Luckily I follow suggestions here from all of you to check the alignment first, or else I will waste my $$ on tires. I was trying to get Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 and it costs a whooping $192 per tire!!!! unbelievable!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:28 PM

I learned the hard way about tire rotation when I was younger. I used to rot & bal at 10K miles. A new Chevy I bought said ever 9000 but that was in the late 80's and early 90's. Another car, I think the 94 Prizm said 7500 miles.

A good friend of mine that owns a front end alignment shop in Garland said, to try 5000 and the tires will last much longer. I also found this eliminates the cupping or the tires making strange sounds at highway speeds. I have done that set after set and car after car. The michelin's have went up to 75K and another set went to 70K. I could have gotten another 5K but the wife wanted a new set as we were going on a long trip. Anything for her to be comfortable in the car.

Quick Reply: Tire issue?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands