Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Here's a link to an interesting article on Toyota's TPMS, including 2007 Camry's.

http://www.tirereview.com/?type=art&id=81377

Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Very informative...although, honestly, I would must rather do without TPMS. How hard is it to just look at your tires and avoid all this hassle...sounds like one more thing to get money from the consumer after they bought the car.

That said, I just had a flat today (very cold temps and slow leak around the bead). However, I am very happy to just fill it up and be done with it. I do not know if there have been serious problems or if you get charged more.

One down side would be snow tires. I can see putting snow tires on the front and not needing to spend extra on the back which do not drive the car. It sounds like the TPMS would have a fit with this.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM

I believe that resistance is futile. lol....It is, or will be soon, a federal law that all passenger vehicles have TPMSs. Any good tire shop should now be accomplished in the handling of tires with the sensors (or they might find themselves replacing many damaged ones, at their cost)

With that said, within a few weeks of delivery of my new TCH in July, the low tire indicator came on. I had picked up a nail, and would have likely driven on it for days, and possibly ruined the tire or worse, had an accident, if the indicator hadn't warned me.

I like the TPMS.

Last edited by jbollt; 03-06-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo repair
Old 03-07-2007, 04:27 AM

Does TPMS prevent you from working on your car at all? That is, do you need special tools to reconfigure and set up the system if you were to pop the tire off yourself to do a break job?

Old 03-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm on the fence about the TPMS. I can see the safety aspects, like driving down the highway and your tires start going flat. I guess I don't like that fact that we're having a computer do what the person driving the car should do before they get in the car...check the tires pressure. We as a society are relying more and more on computers to do what we should be doing...

Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tnsig
I'm on the fence about the TPMS. I can see the safety aspects, like driving down the highway and your tires start going flat. I guess I don't like that fact that we're having a computer do what the person driving the car should do before they get in the car...check the tires pressure. We as a society are relying more and more on computers to do what we should be doing...
And then they (the computer) calculate something wrong and bam you are out some amount of money because of some failue for something that would have otherwise been ok (snow tires on the front only).

Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 AM
SPL

The Canadian TCHs don't have TPMS, and it's not even available as a TCH option here. This is presumably because it's not (as yet) mandated by the Canadian government, and so Toyota saves some money by not fitting it.

Stan